Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood fence post coated with tar?

I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts embedded
in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. I have always wondered how long
this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami sun and rain.

A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood fence up.
I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the ground all of the
post had been painted with something black with the consistency and texture
of tar. I am pretty sure this is something done to prevent the post from
getting in contact of water. Wish I had thought of that, and curious if
this is a common procedure. I hope my posts will give me at least 5 years
before I have to do it all over again.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before I planted my fence posts, I coated the bottom of the posts with that
tar-like black stuff that you can coat driveways with. Driveway sealer of
some sort, black, tar-based. I don't really know what if any difference it
will make. I bought mine in a 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot for somewhere
around $20 or so.

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts
embedded in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. I have always wondered
how long this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami sun and rain.

A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood fence up.
I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the ground all of
the post had been painted with something black with the consistency and
texture of tar. I am pretty sure this is something done to prevent the
post from getting in contact of water. Wish I had thought of that, and
curious if this is a common procedure. I hope my posts will give me at
least 5 years before I have to do it all over again.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.pentox.com/EnFPM.html

Melange pour pieux de cloture

:-)

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts
embedded in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. *I have always wondered
how long this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami sun and rain..

A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood fence up.
I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the ground all of
the post had been painted with something black with the consistency and
texture of tar. *I am pretty sure this is something done to prevent the
post from getting in contact of water. *Wish I had thought of that, and
curious if this is a common procedure. *I hope my posts will give me at
least 5 years before I have to do it all over again.

MC- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 22, 9:04*am, wrote:

Melange pour pieux de cloture

snip

MIx for piles of fence?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/21/2009 11:25 PM (ET) Zootal wrote the following:
Before I planted my fence posts, I coated the bottom of the posts with that
tar-like black stuff that you can coat driveways with. Driveway sealer of
some sort, black, tar-based. I don't really know what if any difference it
will make. I bought mine in a 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot for somewhere
around $20 or so.

Better to use a special tar mix that is used to coat the concrete walls
below grade before backfilling. Most times it is brushed on then heavy
plastic sheeting is stuck to the tar to provide additional
waterproofing. It is available at the big box stores, and may be
available in smaller stores.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts
embedded in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. I have always
wondered how long this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami
sun and rain.
A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood
fence up. I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the
ground all of the post had been painted with something black with the
consistency and texture of tar. I am pretty sure this is something
done to prevent the post from getting in contact of water. Wish I
had thought of that, and curious if this is a common procedure. I
hope my posts will give me at least 5 years before I have to do it
all over again.
MC

Somehow I doubt it would do much good and was probably done to impress the
fence installer's client. Tar coating the wood would do little to prevent
water from eventually soaking the bottom of the post and little to prevent
decay. Once water got into the wood the tar probably would slow down the
wicking away of the water during dry periods enhancing rot. If it isn't a
substance that soaks deep into the wood and also kills the rot fungus it
will do little else.