DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   birds like my A/C; nesting; is 3flrs up, dangerous for ladder at all often (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/275000-birds-like-my-c%3B-nesting%3B-3flrs-up-dangerous-ladder-all-often.html)

David Combs April 2nd 09 03:11 PM

birds like my A/C; nesting; is 3flrs up, dangerous for ladder at all often

Our bedroom A/C -- damn birds like it.

Turning it on does nothing to them -- they remain.

ASIDE:
When I lived in an appartment, with balcony, a pigeon pair
took to it. Then they built a nest, complete with eggs.

I knew full well that once those chicks grew up and wanted
to have their own nests, that they'd come right back *there*.
There'd be NO getting rid of them, then.

SO, I got my trusty tennis racket, went out there, and killed
the two doves, and tossed the eggs.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

(Yes, friend inside watching me was a bit, uh, shocked! :-) )

END ASIDE:

Now that I'm living in a house, with a/c facing the back-yard
(huge slope down away from house) and on the 3rd floor, it is
pretty dangerous, at least for me (don't like heights, edges
of cliffs, etc), to put up a ladder (a LONG ladder) and climb
up and do what's needed.

MY QUESTION:

How to get rid of THESE birds, and for the future, how to keep
them from coming back?

Well, how about spreading some lye on everything? Or spraying
poison all over the inside, enough to drift out the back
and settle there too. THAT would work just fine! RIGHT?

Only problem is that there'd be no one left inside to appreciate
the lack of birds. :-(

Ideas?

David

bob haller April 2nd 09 03:25 PM

On Apr 2, 10:11�am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

you are a idiot killing defensless birds.

I hope a tv station finds out about you and runs a story on what you
did!

Would you be proud?/

Pat April 2nd 09 03:26 PM

[...]

Climbing a ladder 3 stories up isn't for you. That's what you have
kids for. At about 15 they are fearless, want to prove that they can
do what Dad can't, and they bounce pretty well.

Otherwise, you'll need to put up one of those hawk/owl decoys so scare
off the cute little birdies.

Pat April 2nd 09 03:28 PM

On Apr 2, 10:25*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Who said the birds were defenseless. Haven't you watched Hitchcock?
Doesn't the 2nd Amendment apply to ALL Americans, even feathered ones.

Pat April 2nd 09 03:29 PM

On Apr 2, 10:26*am, Pat wrote:
[...]

You can also get strips of stuff what sort of look like a combination
of a wire brush, barbed wired and Edward Scissorhand what you lay down
on every flat space so the birds don't any place to roost.

Phisherman[_2_] April 2nd 09 06:53 PM

On 2 Apr 2009 10:11:54 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

Our bedroom A/C -- damn birds like it.

Turning it on does nothing to them -- they remain.

Put one of those plastic owls on it. Or, put some duct tape sticky
side up--most birds dislike a sticky floor. Or, put a speaker there
with poping noises. Bird netting (at HD) might be worth a try.

[email protected][_2_] April 2nd 09 08:36 PM

David Combs wrote:
[...]

One of the outdoor restaurants we frequent uses nylon line to keep the
gulls and other birds away. They have the line strung so that it forms
about 4" web. Haven't seen a bird in there since it was put in place.

There is another bird here - dark brown/black with gray, about the size
of a robin, that used to steal artificial sweetener packets from the
tables at another restaurant...they would grab one, take it over to a
puddle to soften the package and lap it up. Gulls are relentless, can
steal food from your hand. The wading birds line up for snacks before
one can get bait on a fishing line - they just show up whenever we fish
from our dock and wait around for the catch.

SteveB[_10_] April 3rd 09 12:20 AM

"David Combs" wrote in message
[...]

Do it once, do it right. Rent scaffolding and go up there and put screens
and pointy bird deterrers in every place they can reach. Remove every bit
of nesting materials and spray the area down with bleach. Rinse with clear
water and scrub with brush. Put screens anywhere they can access under the
eaves.

You will not keep them away. But if you do block off the space where they
can nest, that will eliminate most of it. If you have a species of bird
that nests on the outside surfaces, a pellet gun works fine for those. It
also works well for pigeons who just sit there and dump.

Steve

David Combs April 5th 09 05:21 AM

birds like my A/C; nesting; is 3flrs up, dangerous for ladder at all often

Thanks for all the good ideas!

I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks, when it will
be time for someone to go up there to clean the gutters. Maybe I can
pay a bit extra for them to add some of that "stay away"
and "no holes no more for you to get in" stuff you
suggested.

Thanks!

David

Red Green April 5th 09 02:22 PM

birds like my A/C; nesting; is 3flrs up, dangerous for ladder at all often

(David Combs) wrote in news:gr2h3a$1gg$1
@panix1.panix.com:

[...]

Yea, hotwire the frame. Be sure to test with your hand while on ladder.
Make sure it's an aluminum ladder and preferably do it during a
thunderstorm. Grounding the ladder to a nearby flagpole will be a good
thing.