DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Light source behind marble tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/274594-light-source-behind-marble-tiles.html)

Bob[_31_] March 28th 09 08:23 PM

Light source behind marble tiles

I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent and look
very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.

I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not much space -
half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look good (even). Plexiglass
or acrylic could also work but has anybody any tips how to do it?

Bob[_31_] March 28th 09 08:27 PM

Bob wrote:

I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent and look
very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.

I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not much space -
half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look good (even). Plexiglass
or acrylic could also work but has anybody any tips how to do it?

Quick addition: The light effect is show in
http://www.trendir.com/archives/002612.html

The honey colored marble has a nice light.

David Nebenzahl March 28th 09 10:07 PM

Light source behind marble tiles

On 3/28/2009 12:23 PM Bob spake thus:

I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent
and look very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.

I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not
much space - half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look
good (even). Plexiglass or acrylic could also work but has anybody
any tips how to do it?

The only light source I can think of that's thin enough to fit in your
half-inch space are electroluminescent (EL) panels. Problem is, the only
color I know of that they come in is an ugly green.

Wonder if a piece of clear plastic could be used as a "light pipe", with
the light source below or to the side?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

John Grabowski March 28th 09 11:01 PM

"Bob" wrote in message
I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent and
look
very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.

I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not much
space -
half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look good (even).
Plexiglass
or acrylic could also work but has anybody any tips how to do it?

*I seem to recall seeing walkway lights embedded in manmade stone, but I
can't remember any details. Perhaps a lighting store may help.

I think there is such a thing as luminescent tape.

I hope that you are not planning to put these lit tiles in the bathtub
surround.

Pat March 28th 09 11:39 PM

On Mar 28, 4:23*pm, Bob wrote:
I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent and look
very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.

I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not much space -
half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look good (even). Plexiglass
or acrylic could also work but has anybody any tips how to do it?

I don't know, but I am wondering if you could take a piece of
plexiglass and use course sandpaper to roughen it up. Then light it
from an end and get a "fiber-optic" thing going. You might be able to
make the plexigrass glow. If it works, you could put than under the
floor or behind the wall to light the marble.

DanG March 29th 09 12:15 AM

Light source behind marble tiles

How about a mirror and rope light around the outside edge. I
think the mirror will bounce the light for you, but I'm not sure
that the led's are bright enough.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Malcolm Hoar March 29th 09 12:39 AM

In article , _noreply wrote:
I bought marble tiles for my bathroom. The tiles are semitransparent and look
very nice when I shine a light is from behind the tiles.

I'd like to put an even light source behind the tiles. There is not much space
half an inch maybe. I tried using leds but I don't look good (even). Plexiglass
or acrylic could also work but has anybody any tips how to do it?

I think leds are your best bet but you'll need some kind of
diffuser(s) to create an even light source -- a translucent
sheet of perspex/acrylic?

Keep in mind that some leds will eventually fail. Replacement
will likely be very tricky. I'm not sure I'd bother without
access to perform the maintenance that WILL be necessary
soon or later.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |