Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Running conduit in the basement

I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Should I run conduit along the ceiling, then place a box and a branch
circuit down each stud-bay to the receptacles on the walls ? Or
Should I run conduit down the first stud-bay and then sideways through
the studs to the other receptacles ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 27, 3:55*pm, sid wrote:
I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Should I run conduit along the ceiling, then place a box and a branch
circuit down each stud-bay to the receptacles on the walls ? * Or
Should I run conduit down the first stud-bay and then sideways through
the studs to the other receptacles ?

Thanks

Do you have a local code requirement to use conduit? I would think
that Romex or BX would be much easier to work with. Darn near
impossible to run conduit horizontally through studs, but easy with
BX. (will take less wire than dropping down every time) even if you
have, say, receptacles split switched/always live (lamps, etc) which
would require 3-wire cable you can probably find 14/3 or 12/3 BX or
just run greenfield and treat it like conduit.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Should I run conduit along the ceiling, then place a box and a branch
circuit down each stud-bay to the receptacles on the walls ? Or
Should I run conduit down the first stud-bay and then sideways through
the studs to the other receptacles ?

*I would mount the conduit and boxes to the basement wall first and then
notch the studs to fit over the conduit. That way you will only need to
feed one end and then run conduit from box to box. Use large electrical
boxes so that you have plenty of room to pull wires through. Figure out
what the finished wall depth will be and use appropriate depth boxes and mud
rings. You didn't say where your circuit breaker panel is in relation to
this, but mounting a box in the ceiling and going down the wall is an
option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , sid wrote:
I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Like others, I don't see why you think conduit is necessary
or even desirable.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:55:20 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Should I run conduit along the ceiling, then place a box and a branch
circuit down each stud-bay to the receptacles on the walls ? Or
Should I run conduit down the first stud-bay and then sideways through
the studs to the other receptacles ?

Thanks

It is a pretty safe bet you dont' need conduit. Use romex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Should I run conduit along the ceiling, then place a box and a branch
circuit down each stud-bay to the receptacles on the walls ? Or
Should I run conduit down the first stud-bay and then sideways
through the studs to the other receptacles ?

Two questions:
1) How do you plan to run conduit sideways through the studs?
2) Why are you planning to use conduit at all?

lol, and I fail to see why several people feel it necessary to over and
over keep asking why the OP wants to use conduit? You guys may think
you're clairvoyant and see the situation clearly, why doesn't your own
ISP provide the answer to your question?

There are many reasons to run conduit, all of which include advantages
and most of which are the best choices. I suggest some edgeakation to
counter-act some of that ego. Oh, and the me-too attitude so prevalent
here lately.

Cheers,

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Mar 27, 8:15*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

Twayne- Hide quoted text -

Half the basement is already been roughed-in and the electric is in ½
conduit.
I was just trying to match the work that was started. If I were to
use BX between the boxes or between the boxes and boxes mounted on the
ceiling, how long could the lengths be ? I thought you were limited
to 36" ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

The question is being asked repeatedly because anyone with any experience in
wiring, knows that doing what the OP suggests, is ridiculously labor
intensive and time consuming, and in most cases, unnecessary. People want to
be sure the OP is aware that there are easier ways to do the job, unless
there is a local code that requires "conduit". Personally, I think the OP
should have prefaced the question with his reasons for wanting to use
"conduit" in the first place. There may be a number of situations where
running "conduit" is the best method, but horizontally through studs isn't
one of them

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 8:15 pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

Where do you live? Does your local use the NEC or do they have their own
electric code?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 8:12*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

On Mar 27, 8:15 pm, "Twayne" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

electric code?- Hide quoted text -

I chose to run conduit in the ceiling and drop conduit to the boxes in
the walls in my basement shop. Yes, it is more labor intensive and
more expensive, but over the last 20 years, I've made a number of
changes to the wiring and almost all of these were made much easier
because of the conduit. The fact that it is a shop is part of the
reason for all the changes. If it were a rec room, then it may not
have been justified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:15:04 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

It is true that there are many reasons to run conduit, but almost
never in a home.

Not being clairvoyant is the reason we ask why he thinks he needs it.

It is also true that one could find out the area the OP lives by using
his IP and look up the local codes for the area, but I am just not
that interested.

I am willing to bet he does not need conduit though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

OK smart guy, how do *YOU* run conduit through presumably
already-installed studs?

cut it in 16" lengths and use lots of couplers?

seriously, it's not an attitude, for the question the OP posed, conduit
really is not the easiest solution.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Greenfield is one possibility AKA flexible metal conduit. When I worked in
Los Angeles years ago that was a pretty common method even in residential.
For many years the city required conduit for the wiring and many of the
electrical contractors were so used to installing it that they continued
after the code requirement changed. One thing that I did not agree with was
that the city allowed up to 100' of aluminum greenfield to be an acceptable
grounding conductor. The NEC only permits up to 6'. If you saw how easy it
is was to break the aluminum flex you would agree. Sometimes when we fished
wires the snake would pop out of the AL flex in the wall. This was back in
the 1980's. It may be different now.

Plumbers run pipes through walls all of the time so it is not unusual.

cut it in 16" lengths and use lots of couplers?

seriously, it's not an attitude, for the question the OP posed, conduit
really is not the easiest solution.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Sid I think that you should do some more homework before proceeding any
further. You could save some time and money and labor if you find out
exactly what you can and cannot do. An electrical code book is a good place
to start. If you haven't already I suggest that you get a permit for the
work and be sure to have it inspected. While applying for the permit you can
inquire as to what codes are being used for your area.

There is usually no limitation on the length of BX for wiring a basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ed_h" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 8:12 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

On Mar 27, 8:15 pm, "Twayne" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

I routinely wire peoples work shops with EMT, however it's usually on the
surface of block or concrete. Typically, people don't stud and sheetrock a
work shop for the very reason you point out. All indications are that this
is just a typical habitable room, so unless he too, has a specific reason
for doing extra work, I'd recommend some type of cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
[...]

We've come a long way from the Sprague cable. IMO, none of the current
aluminum stuff is worth a damn. It certainly offers no more protection than
the plastic sheeth on a Romex cable. Today , if I want steel cable, I have
to order it special, the local supply houses don't stock any.

Plumbers run pipes through walls all of the time so it is not unusual.

cut it in 16" lengths and use lots of couplers?

seriously, it's not an attitude, for the question the OP posed, conduit
really is not the easiest solution.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
[...]

Should I then be saving discarded old BX for repurposing as greenfield?

(said only slightly with tongue in cheek, I *am* a cheap ******* after
all...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
[...]

It's just typical in the industry, that the older the product, the more
durable it was built. I think, for the most part, because building codes are
more stringent, and more locations have building codes, a residential
electric cable doesn't need to withstand nuclear blast, but it sure would be
nice to be able to staple a BX cable and yank it straight, without it
breaking apart

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*No. The minimum size for wire pulling is 1/2". You could use the 3/8" size
for fixture whips and motor feeds as long as it is no longer than 6'.
Better to recycle the steel armor and get some cash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 10:15*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

Speaking of 'education'!

One reason being that when one reads and takes the time to helpfully
respond to a particular posting one has not necessarily yet seen
'all' the other comments. Too much criticism of how that is done will
shut down the conversation.

Also that repetition of a particular point is often a quick way to
make a point and/or raise the question in the OP's mind, such
as .................... 'Yes; why am I using conduit .... ?". This
exactly how a conversation is conducted among a group of people; each
volunteering their opinion or experience and the listeners then
evaluating the information presented.

So, for example; one of the group might say 'Speaking personally and
if I understand the situation/correctly, what I would suggest
is .......... ".etc.

There are also couple of other aspects that someone might feel
indicates the OP is a bit of a neophyte? That is not a criticism;
since we are are all more knowledgeable in some areas than others. IMO
it is smart to question how to wire a basement. Maybe, maybe not there
was good reason for the previous wiring to be conduit; maybe now the
situation is the same or different? Personally I don't mind asking a
question, even if I think I know the answer.

Respectfully suggest the OP could now advise what the basement was
previously used for and that may indicate why conduit? (Lotta work!)
Lets' not try to dry up contributions to this most helpful forum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:25:51 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:

On Mar 27, 10:15Â*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
I am finishing two walls in the basement and want to know the best
solution to run conduit feeds to several receptacle boxes on the
walls.

Should I run conduit along the ceiling, then place a box and a branch
circuit down each stud-bay to the receptacles on the walls ? Â* Or
Should I run conduit down the first stud-bay and then sideways
through the studs to the other receptacles ?

Two questions:
1) How do you plan to run conduit sideways through the studs?
2) Why are you planning to use conduit at all?

lol, and I fail to see why several people feel it necessary to over and
over keep asking why the OP wants to use conduit? Â*You guys may think
you're clairvoyant and see the situation clearly, why doesn't your own
ISP provide the answer to your question?

There are many reasons to run conduit, all of which include advantages
and most of which are the best choices. I suggest some edgeakation to
counter-act some of that ego. Â*Oh, and the me-too attitude so prevalent
[...]

Exposed basement wiring in many areas needs to be in conduit. In Wood
stud walls it is not required. In steel stud wals some places it is.
Generally you would only use conduit "drops", not running wire across
the wall through studs in condoit. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:15*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
sid wrote:
[...]

the wall through studs in condoit. *YMMV- Hide quoted text -

The basement is currently unfinished. The home is less than 10 years
old, and the existing conduit is on the floor joists for utility
lights. I thought it would be simple to run conduit from these
existing boxes over to and down the stud-bays to new receptacle
boxes. The plan would be to pull another circuit back to the panel to
feed these new receptacles.

I did do some research and found that the plan that I have is
compliant.
The only part I had some question on is the "de-ration of ampacity
when more than 3 current carrying conductors are in the same
conduit." If I have 5+ THHN 12 AWG conductors in 1/2" conduit, do I
need to be concerned about this ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:

I did do some research and found that the plan that I have is
compliant.
The only part I had some question on is the "de-ration of ampacity
when more than 3 current carrying conductors are in the same
conduit." If I have 5+ THHN 12 AWG conductors in 1/2" conduit, do I
need to be concerned about this ?

Yes you need to consider it but no it is not likely a problem for THHN.

The ampacity of #12 *THHN* is 30A (but it is not allowed to be used at
over 20A).

For 3-6 conductors the derating is to 80%.
80% of 30A is 24A.

For 7-9 conductors the derating is to 70%.
70% of 30A is 21A.

You can use up to 9 conductors without derating being a problem. Some
conductors might not need to be counted, so in many cases more than 9
conductors can be used.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Mar 29, 3:10*am, bud-- wrote:
sid wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bud, that's the answer that I needed.

Sid.

Running wires from the attic to the basement Ultraglide Home Repair 11 November 1st 08 03:34 AM
Running boards for wiring unfinished basement Dante Home Repair 3 June 4th 07 03:42 PM
running conduit highflyr Home Repair 4 September 26th 06 03:08 AM
Having problems running wire up wall from basement TNelson Home Repair 6 May 21st 06 03:19 PM
Running SWA and Cat5 in same conduit? Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. UK diy 31 October 11th 04 06:48 PM