DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Switch for outdoor light (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/274397-switch-outdoor-light.html)

Ivan Vegvary March 26th 09 05:10 AM

Switch for outdoor light

I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my shop.
The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room). Switch and
light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to pole light is
broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many slabs
under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and switch it
from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able to turn it
on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away? Seems
like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120 feet of 3
wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

Tony Hwang March 26th 09 05:26 AM

Switch for outdoor light

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my
shop. The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room).
Switch and light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to
pole light is broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many
slabs under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and
switch it from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able
to turn it on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away?
Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120
feet of 3 wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

Hi,
Why switch? Turn the switch in "ON" position all the time and install
light sensor switch in series at the post end.
Another option may be wireless device(TX & RX)

Mike Paulsen March 26th 09 05:30 AM

Switch for outdoor light

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my
shop. The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room).
Switch and light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to
pole light is broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many
slabs under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and
switch it from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able
to turn it on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away?
Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120
feet of 3 wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

If you found the break, check with the electrical inspector / code
office to see if you can splice it. Something like:
http://www.amazon.com/GB-Electrical-.../dp/B00004WLKR

"UF splice kit" should be a good search term to learn more.

Smitty Two March 26th 09 05:38 AM

Switch for outdoor light

In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my shop.
The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room). Switch and
light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to pole light is
broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many slabs
under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and switch it
from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able to turn it
on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away? Seems
like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120 feet of 3
wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

Here's one that's good for five miles:

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedPr...ge_Wireless_Sw
itch_System/32546/0

But I'd just splice the damn wire. You know, staggered soldered butt
splices insulated with a few layers of the goo-filled shrink tubing.
Completely against code, I imagine, but I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep
over it. YMMV.

Mark Lloyd March 26th 09 12:59 PM

Switch for outdoor light

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:26:44 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:10:47 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my shop.
The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room). Switch and
light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to pole light is
broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many slabs
under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and switch it
from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able to turn it
on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away? Seems
like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120 feet of 3
wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

X-10 will do it pretty easy. You put the X-10 module in the feed to
the light and a controller at the house.

X-10 MIGHT work. Line noise and the lack of error-checking means it
could be very annoying.

BTW, X-10 seems to work fine on one side (power leg) of my house. On
the other side, there's a lot of false operation.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Steve Barker[_2_] March 26th 09 01:14 PM

Switch for outdoor light

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my
shop. The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room).
Switch and light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to
pole light is broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many
slabs under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and
switch it from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able
to turn it on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away?
Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120
feet of 3 wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

What you need to do is repair your broken yard wire. THEN using the
house end as the feeder, use the two existing wires as travelers , and
pick up the neutral from the shop. You don't need the third wire
between the switches. This is typically called a 'california three way'
switch setup. It may or may not satisfy the code ninnys but it works
just fine.

The Daring Dufas[_6_] March 27th 09 01:11 AM

Switch for outdoor light

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

Hint, hint..... http://tinyurl.com/

TDD

Smitty Two March 27th 09 06:46 AM

Switch for outdoor light

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

What, did my link break, with the angle brackets and all? Tinyurl is
great but I usually only use it when the URL gets reeeaaaaalllllyyyy
long.

The Daring Dufas[_6_] March 28th 09 02:40 AM

Switch for outdoor light

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

[...]

The darn things break all the time, especially if one
does not see the original post. I always use a URL
shorting link whenever I post something more than 15-20
characters long. Some folks will use a tiny URL to post
something offensive, not me, I'm offensive enough already.
*snicker*

TDD