DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using 60A Circuit (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/274174-using-60a-circuit.html)

H_X March 24th 09 01:46 AM

Using 60A Circuit

Folks,

I have a stove that uses a 60A circuit. I am going to be replacing it
with two devices: One a 240V 40A device, the other a 240V 20 A
device.

Question: Can I use the 60A wire as a source for both the 40A and 20A
circuits, by putting in a small 60 or 70A breaker box behind the new
oven, and add 20A and 40A breakers to get the configuration I need?
Or do I just have to abandon the current wire, and run two new ones
from the main box?

Thanks.

[email protected] March 24th 09 01:55 AM

Using 60A Circuit

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:46:47 -0700 (PDT), H_X
wrote:

Folks,

I have a stove that uses a 60A circuit. I am going to be replacing it
with two devices: One a 240V 40A device, the other a 240V 20 A
device.

Question: Can I use the 60A wire as a source for both the 40A and 20A
circuits, by putting in a small 60 or 70A breaker box behind the new
oven, and add 20A and 40A breakers to get the configuration I need?
Or do I just have to abandon the current wire, and run two new ones
from the main box?

Thanks.

Perfectly acceptable to install a "sub panel" and you can use more
than a 40 and a 20 on it, as long as you will never use more than 60
at a time (which will just blow the 60 breaker)

Mike March 24th 09 02:37 AM

Using 60A Circuit

Perfectly acceptable to install a "sub panel" and you can use more
than a 40 and a 20 on it, as long as you will never use more than 60
at a time (which will just blow the 60 breaker)

Just be sure that the existing wire has 4 conductors (2 hot, 1
neutral, 1 ground). You'll need all 4 to wire up the new sub-panel. I
just tried to do the same thing with a 50 amp circuit that was
powering a dryer. Once I started looking into things, I discovered
that the dryer had a 3 prong plug. I ended up running new 6/3 wire
from the main box to the new sub, and using the old wire to go from
the sub to the dryer.

Don Young March 25th 09 01:05 AM

Using 60A Circuit

"H_X" wrote in message
Folks,

I have a stove that uses a 60A circuit. I am going to be replacing it
with two devices: One a 240V 40A device, the other a 240V 20 A
device.

Question: Can I use the 60A wire as a source for both the 40A and 20A
circuits, by putting in a small 60 or 70A breaker box behind the new
oven, and add 20A and 40A breakers to get the configuration I need?
Or do I just have to abandon the current wire, and run two new ones
from the main box?

Thanks.

Any breaker box you install has to be easily accessible. It can't be "behind
the new oven". You also must have separate neutral and ground conductors in
the feeder cable and keep them separate in the new breaker box if either of
your new loads requires a neutral for 120 volts.

Don Young