DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hinges for Rehanging Kitchen Cabinet Doors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/274155-hinges-rehanging-kitchen-cabinet-doors.html)

Tube Audio[_2_] March 23rd 09 12:58 PM

Hinges for Rehanging Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Hello

I am repainting my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are solid wood. They are
original cabinets for 1955 ( when the house was built)

I took all the doors off the cabinets along with the hinges.

I need to purchase new hinges. Should I go with the traditional old style
hinges that are not adjustable? Or should I purchase the hidden adjustable
types? Do they make retrofit hinges that will work in my application?

The Cabinet boxes are 3/4" thick.

Thanks

Limp Arbor March 23rd 09 01:31 PM

On Mar 23, 8:58*am, "Tube Audio" wrote:
Hello

I am repainting my kitchen cabinets. *The cabinets are solid wood. *They are
original cabinets for 1955 ( when the house was built)

I took all the doors off the cabinets along with the hinges.

I need to purchase new hinges. *Should I go with the traditional old style
hinges that are not adjustable? *Or should I purchase the hidden adjustable
types? *Do they make retrofit hinges that will work in my application?

The Cabinet boxes are 3/4" thick.

Thanks

The hinges you are talking about normally require a good size hole to
be drilled with a Forstner bit but there may be other options
available.
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=45
http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=2230

Post in rec.woodworking, somebody there might know of a source for
adjustable hinges that don't need a mortise.

RicodJour March 24th 09 05:22 PM

Hinges for Rehanging Kitchen Cabinet Doors

On Mar 23, 8:58*am, "Tube Audio" wrote:
Hello

I am repainting my kitchen cabinets. *The cabinets are solid wood. *They are
original cabinets for 1955 ( when the house was built)

I took all the doors off the cabinets along with the hinges.

I need to purchase new hinges. *Should I go with the traditional old style
hinges that are not adjustable? *Or should I purchase the hidden adjustable
types? *Do they make retrofit hinges that will work in my application?

The Cabinet boxes are 3/4" thick.

Hinge adjustability is pretty much required on frameless (aka Euro
35mm) cabinets, but your cabinets have face frames. If you take a
reasonable amount of care installing the new hinges you really don't
need any adjustability at all.