Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Headphone socket on laptop?

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket. The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put
the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. It was
either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it
pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket
without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out
will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the
whole plug would then become lodged in the socket!
Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 6:54:52 AM UTC-5, Kenny wrote:
Didn't realise it was so common a problem, have a few YT videos to look at
later.

Kenny

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket. The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put
the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. It was
either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it
pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket
without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out
will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the
whole plug would then become lodged in the socket!
Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill

Videos are a good place to start. If you have to take it apart, a
video can save you hours as well as prevent you from damaging it.

But the superglue idea sounds like it might work. You'd have to use
a small amount though, so like you said, it doesn't foul the whole
thing up. I'd use the thicker, gel type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2016 3:23 AM, Kenny wrote:
Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket. The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack has
detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers.

Grrrr.. you appear to alternate between calling it a JACK (female) and a PLUG
(male).

I assume you mean "the tip of a 3.5mm stereo (TRS) PLUG has detached
inside the JACK"?

Presumably, the *TIP* has come off the plug just past the RING conductor;
i.e., the TIP (and only the tip!) remains in the jack while the RING and
SLEEVE of the plug are still intack.

If I put the
headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work.

I suspect you mean that the RIGHT channel of the headphones works
(the right channel is fed from the RING conductor with the SLEEVE
acting as ground/common). I'm not sure the TIP conductor (which
is stuck in the jack) would still make contact with the (now broken)
plug satisfactorily to provide a connection for the LEFT channel
(though it might, depending on what's left protruding from the
truncated plug)

It was either
a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it pulled the tip
off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out will
it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the whole
plug would then become lodged in the socket!

Exactly. The risk increases as you apply more adhesive.

One can argue that sufficient "care" may make this a worthwhile approach.
The alternative is disassembly. And, if this approach fails, disassembly
will be *required*.

However, also note that if the plug adheres too strongly to the jack,
you may have trouble getting at the jack itself! I.e., the body of
the plug is likely larger than the hole in the enclosure through which
the jack protrudes. So, you won't be able to just pull the main-board
out (from the inside) as the plug body will hold it to the case.

OTOH, if you haven't been OVER zealous in applying adhesive, you
can probably "break" the plug at the previous fault line.

A more problematic condition might be adhesive flowing *through*
the jack *body* and adhering the jack to the main-board. There,
you'd have two relatively large, FLAT, adjoining surfaces that could
prove difficult to separate (when you eventually try to remove the
jack from the main-board) without lifting foils.

[Keep in mind that superglue tends to be of low viscosity.]

Any ideas anyone?

Does the laptop have BT? If so, consider delivering audio via
a BT headset??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 7:29:19 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Does the laptop have BT? If so, consider delivering audio via
a BT headset??

He wants the speakers to work...not the headset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:23:19 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket.

Jack.

The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack

Plug

has detached inside the socket

Jack

and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put
the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. \

Wow.

It was
either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it

Probably the first.

pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket
without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out

It sounds like a good idea. I've never gotten superglue to stick to
anything, not even my skin, but for some people it works.

Oh, you said put it on the end of the plug. No, don't do that, for
the reason you give blelow. Put it on the end of something thinner,
like round toothpick cut off square.

And in light of my dislike of superglue, maybe anotehr glue. I like
pc-70. It's not as runny as ... what's that other glue people like,
also grey, also 2-part

PC-70 takes 24 hours to get to be full strength, but this seems like
it's worth that.

will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the
whole plug would then become lodged in the socket!
Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:29:05 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Does the laptop have BT? If so, consider delivering audio via
a BT headset??

I don't like headsets, because then I'm attached to the computer and
can't stand up. though I guess he's using one already.

I use a USB pair of amplified speakers, by logitech.

Much like these, altghough now they are branded by Cyber-Acoustics and
not Logitech. Probably the same thing however.
http://www.staples.com/Cyber-Acousti... DExoCHfLw_wcB
The clip to the screen and they stand up on their own. I used them
with the desktop for a while when I couldn't figure out what was wrong
with its speakers.

When I said round toothpick, I mean for you to find a part of the
toothpick that is narrower than the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2016 10:24 AM, Kenny wrote:
Wikipedia quote: "In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly
used for the respective male and female phone connectors."

Nice try, but no dice!

Reread your original post and notice *if* you used the terms "jack plug"
and "jack socket".

Hint: you did not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^

-------------^^^^

I suspect you mean that the RIGHT channel of the headphones works
(the right channel is fed from the RING conductor with the SLEEVE
acting as ground/common). I'm not sure the TIP conductor (which
is stuck in the jack) would still make contact with the (now broken)
plug satisfactorily to provide a connection for the LEFT channel
(though it might, depending on what's left protruding from the
truncated plug)

It was either
a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it pulled the tip

------------------^^^^--------^^^^^^-------------^^^^

off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket without damaging it.

---------------------------------------------------^^^^^^

---^^^^-----------------^^^^^^

it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the whole
plug would then become lodged in the socket!

---^^^^

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:23:19 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers.

Micky's idea of the tooth pick might be the best superglue trick but
you may end up in more trouble than you are in now.
Can you get to the back side of that jack without taking too much
apart?
They are generally sealed but if you can get a clean shot at the back
of the enclosure you might be able to drill a small hole in the back
and push the tip out with a paper clip. There may even be a hole there
now. I have jacks made both ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:14:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:23:19 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers.

Micky's idea of the tooth pick might be the best superglue trick but
you may end up in more trouble than you are in now.
Can you get to the back side of that jack without taking too much
apart?
They are generally sealed but if you can get a clean shot at the back
of the enclosure you might be able to drill a small hole in the back
and push the tip out with a paper clip. There may even be a hole there
now. I have jacks made both ways.

+100 ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Jack Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

[...]

Jack on jack off...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tried twice with the glue idea, once using original plug and again using
cotton bud with cotton removed, neither worked. Opened laptop, socket is
closed type so I used a rotary multi-tool with mill attachment to remove
part of back and top then was able to push it out towards the front.

Kenny

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:14:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:23:19 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers.

Micky's idea of the tooth pick might be the best superglue trick but
you may end up in more trouble than you are in now.
Can you get to the back side of that jack without taking too much
apart?
They are generally sealed but if you can get a clean shot at the back
of the enclosure you might be able to drill a small hole in the back
and push the tip out with a paper clip. There may even be a hole there
now. I have jacks made both ways.

+100 ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Jack Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenny posted for all of us...

Tried twice with the glue idea, once using original plug and again using
cotton bud with cotton removed, neither worked. Opened laptop, socket is
closed type so I used a rotary multi-tool with mill attachment to remove
part of back and top then was able to push it out towards the front.

Kenny

I was going to suggest just drilling a paper clip sized hole in the interior
of the jack as others suggested. Glad you you resolved the problem. Can you
hear me now?

--
Tekkie

Headphone socket on laptop? Kenny Electronics Repair 9 January 27th 16 04:16 PM
3.5mm stereo headphone socket that isn't. Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 29 February 28th 14 02:42 AM
Headphone socket Manticore UK diy 7 February 14th 11 11:34 AM
malfunctioning headphone jack, hp laptop Jess Electronics Repair 4 December 13th 05 08:38 PM
Adding Headphone socket to TV Michael Murray UK diy 29 September 10th 03 01:28 AM