DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   shower stall drain leaks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/271621-shower-stall-drain-leaks.html)

John Smith February 19th 09 01:57 AM

shower stall drain leaks

The drain of my shower stall leaks. The first floor ceiling right
underneath the shower stall has water marks.

Can this be fixed from the second floor or do I have to cut open the
ceiling to fix the leak?

Ed Pawlowski February 19th 09 02:22 AM

shower stall drain leaks

"John Smith" wrote in message
The drain of my shower stall leaks. The first floor ceiling right
underneath the shower stall has water marks.

Can this be fixed from the second floor or do I have to cut open the
ceiling to fix the leak?

Depends. If the leak is at the flange, you have a shot to seal it from up
top. Anything else, you have to open the ceiling. I'd probably open it up to
be sure anyway.

Bob F February 19th 09 02:27 AM

shower stall drain leaks

John Smith wrote:
The drain of my shower stall leaks. The first floor ceiling right
underneath the shower stall has water marks.

Can this be fixed from the second floor or do I have to cut open the
ceiling to fix the leak?

It depends on the construction. Mud set? Fiberglass? Something else?

Tony Hwang February 19th 09 03:07 AM

shower stall drain leaks

John Smith wrote:
The drain of my shower stall leaks. The first floor ceiling right
underneath the shower stall has water marks.

Can this be fixed from the second floor or do I have to cut open the
ceiling to fix the leak?

Hi,
Main cause could be the shower stall base not being sturdy.

ransley February 19th 09 03:33 PM

shower stall drain leaks

On Feb 18, 7:57*pm, John Smith wrote:
The drain of my shower stall leaks. The first floor ceiling right
underneath the shower stall has water marks.

Can this be fixed from the second floor or do I have to cut open the
ceiling to fix the leak?

How do you Know its the drain since you havnt seen it leak, you dont,
you wont until you cut a hole. Several I have seen were just a small
crack in grout or poor caulk somewhere. Fix any small crack first, get
a cheap moisture meter to see if it worked, or cut a hole but dont be
suprised if the drain is ok.