Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self-Stick Tiles floating around?

I've installed some self-stick vinyl tiles recently and have had
trouble with the tiles near the edge of the room shifting around and
creating gaps. Is this a common problem? What is the best way to lock
them down? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 17, 12:54*pm, Davej wrote:
I've installed some self-stick vinyl tiles recently and have had
trouble with the tiles near the edge of the room shifting around and
creating gaps. Is this a common problem? What is the best way to lock
them down? Thanks.

Your substrate is faulty. The tile adhesive is made to stick to a
smooth impervious surface, so somehow you don't have that. Old waxed
linoleum is an example of surfaces that don't work well. Some
installers will go over exiting problem floors with luan plywood
before the tile goes down. My personal preference for my own palace is
decent plywood, sanded and coated with the cheapest polyurethane on
the box store shelf. Imperfections leveled with Bondo and sanded
again. Did a laundry room this way with Armstrong's best S.A. tiles a
decade ago and it still looks new. Cheap tiles will have lesser
quality adhesive, and also (based on my experience) there is tile
shrinkage over the years with noticeable gaps between the tiles. This
shrinkage is more pronounced in one direction than another, so the
manufacturing process must produce a little 'grain' for it to happen.
To solve your problem, talk the folks at a real tile store and they
may be able to find you an adhesive compatible with your present tile
that could keep it in place until its time for replacement. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 12:54*pm, Davej wrote:
I've installed some self-stick vinyl tiles recently and have had
trouble with the tiles near the edge of the room shifting around and
creating gaps. Is this a common problem? What is the best way to lock
them down? Thanks.

I never trust the self-stick adhesive to do the trick, and glue the
tiles down with all purpose vinyl sheetgoods adhesive. Go easy on it,
or it will ooze up in the gaps.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
I've installed some self-stick vinyl tiles recently and have had
trouble with the tiles near the edge of the room shifting around and
creating gaps. Is this a common problem? What is the best way to lock
them down? Thanks.

A staplegun? :^/

Tear them up, throw them away, and get a real floor. Self-stick may be
useful for movie sets or staging for an ad, but do not work on floors
that actually get used, IMHO. Did you degrease previous floor before
they went down? If there is any trace of old wax, or a shiny no-wax
floor, it is hopeless.

--
aem sends...