Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Question Re Liquid-Tape Product

Hello,

Regarding the Gardner-Bender Liquid Tape Product.

Have a connection (117 V) in a house Service Box that is presently taped,
but quite hard to get to.
Would like to add a bit more insulation to it.

Anyone ever use this Liquid Tape product ?

I would imagine that 3M has a comparable product ?
If so, "better"?

Anyway, their site is very sparse re any good technical info. for it.

Can it be used over electrical tape, or will it disolve or otherwise harm
the tape ?
The tape's adhesive, e.g. ?

The reason I'm concerned is that they apparently use a Hexane solvent in it,
and
this is a pretty potent solvent, I would think ?

Or, is it just used for Non-taped joints ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the Gardner-Bender Liquid Tape Product.

Have a connection (117 V) in a house Service Box that is presently
taped, but quite hard to get to.
Would like to add a bit more insulation to it.

Anyone ever use this Liquid Tape product ?

I would imagine that 3M has a comparable product ?
If so, "better"?

Anyway, their site is very sparse re any good technical info. for it.

Can it be used over electrical tape, or will it disolve or otherwise
harm the tape ?
The tape's adhesive, e.g. ?

The reason I'm concerned is that they apparently use a Hexane solvent
in it, and
this is a pretty potent solvent, I would think ?

Or, is it just used for Non-taped joints ?

Thanks,
Bob

How to Post to more than one group:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Liquid tape works just fine. There is no point in using it over the
tape, though, because you're just sealing the tape, not the electrical
joint.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 17, 8:22*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the Gardner-Bender Liquid Tape Product.

Have a connection (117 V) in a house Service Box that is presently taped,
but quite hard to get to.
Would like to add a bit more insulation to it.

Anyone ever use this Liquid Tape product ?

I would imagine that 3M has a comparable product ?
If so, "better"?

Anyway, their site is very sparse re any good technical info. for it.

Can it be used over electrical tape, or will it disolve or otherwise harm
the tape ?
The tape's adhesive, e.g. ?

The reason I'm concerned is that they apparently use a Hexane solvent in it,
and
this is a pretty potent solvent, I would think ?

Or, is it just used for Non-taped joints ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hexane is a very benign solvent, so your only concern is keeping the
vapors away from a combustion source. Recall from your basic chemistry
class: methane, one carbon atom; ethane, two carbons; propane, three
carbons in a row; butane, four carbons in a row; pentane, five carbons
in row; hexane, six carbons in a row. That was easy, wasn't it? There
are isomers that we could discuss later.. G

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 8:22*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the Gardner-Bender Liquid Tape Product.

Have a connection (117 V) in a house Service Box that is presently taped,
but quite hard to get to.

I gotta ask - There is a connection in your service box that is simply
taped? To me, wire nuts look out of place in a professionally done
service box, much less a taped joint. On top of that, it is in a hard
place to get to?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in
:

[...]

isomers

In the Carolinas, first person form of I'm a customer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If at all possible, wire connections should be wire nut, and
then electrical taped. The wire nut has a metal spiral
inside, which helps with the electrical connection in
addition to helping hold the ends of the wires together.
I've never used that liquid tape stuff.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 17, 9:47*pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

isomers

In the Carolinas, first person form of I'm a customer.

snicker

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:15:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

If at all possible, wire connections should be wire nut, and
then electrical taped. The wire nut has a metal spiral
inside, which helps with the electrical connection in
addition to helping hold the ends of the wires together.
I've never used that liquid tape stuff.

It's good for insulating terminal blocks to prevent accidental
contact. Works reasonably well to seal connections too - like
wire-nuts. slop a bit in the backside of the wire-nut and it keeps
moisture out. Or on a crimp connector (if you ever "need" to use one -
stranded wire only)