Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical receptacles

I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go
around will be all 15A 120V. I will need about 75 of them, they need to be
Decora style. Which is better, Leviton or Cooper? Lutron is a bit more
than what I am willing to pay and too fancy for my taste.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go
around will be all 15A 120V. I will need about 75 of them, they need to be
Decora style. Which is better, Leviton or Cooper? Lutron is a bit more
than what I am willing to pay and too fancy for my taste.

Thanks,

MC

Hi,
There are consumer, commercial, indusrial grade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 8:56*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go
around will be all 15A 120V. *I will need about 75 of them, they need to be
Decora style. *Which is better, Leviton or Cooper? *Lutron is a bit more
than what I am willing to pay and too fancy for my taste.

Thanks,

MC

check out the following ebay auctions

LEVITON 5325-WH DECORA OUTLET 15AMP 125VOLT (50 PACK)
Ebay Item number: 390027268935
Buy It Now price: US $79.95 free shipping

LEVITON 5325-WH DECORA OUTLET 15AMP 125VOLT (50 PACK)
Ebay Item number: 390027268935
Buy It Now price: US $60.00 plus $15 shipping

I dont know which mfr is better or which item is better but check out
the part numbers

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 23:56:46 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go
around will be all 15A 120V. I will need about 75 of them, they need to be
Decora style. Which is better, Leviton or Cooper? Lutron is a bit more
than what I am willing to pay and too fancy for my taste.

Thanks,

MC

Buy a box of Leviton 20A electrical receptacles. The "heavy duty" or
commercial types won't break and fail like the 50-cent kinds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go
around will be all 15A 120V. I will need about 75 of them, they need to be
Decora style. Which is better, Leviton or Cooper? Lutron is a bit more
than what I am willing to pay and too fancy for my taste.

Thanks,

MC

Hi,
There are consumer, commercial, indusrial grade.

Yes, and it's most economical to select the grade of the device based on
the location that it will be installed in. For locations where for
example a table lamp will be plugged in and the receptacle isn't likely
to see any other activity all year, the consumer/residential grade is
fine. For locations like in a hallway where a vacuum will be frequently
plugged in, etc. the commercial/spec grade is appropriate. For kitchens
and workshops with constant plugging and unplugging use commercial/spec
grade as the minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am installing new electrical receptacles thoroughout the house, this go
around will be all 15A 120V. I will need about 75 of them, they need to be
Decora style. Which is better, Leviton or Cooper? Lutron is a bit more
than what I am willing to pay and too fancy for my taste.

Pass & Seymour also makes the Decora style receptacle and is an excellent
brand. You would need to go to certain electrical supply company's for them.
If you buy 75 at one time you could probably ask for a good price.

Someone else suggested using 20 amp receptacles. Those are only approved
for use on 20 amp circuits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 3, 9:29*am, Phisherman wrote:

snip

Buy a box of Leviton 20A electrical receptacles. *The "heavy duty" or
commercial types won't break and fail like the 50-cent kinds.

That might lead to a problem if a high current device is plugged into
a 14 ga circuit which OP apparently has. Might be a code issue.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 3, 10:07*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

snip

Pass & Seymour also makes the Decora style receptacle and is an excellent
brand. You would need to go to certain electrical supply company's for them.
If you buy 75 at one time you could probably ask for a good price.

P&S is available in our area at my local distributor and Menards.
Prices are quite reasonable, especially the small contractor packs of
ten. I particularly like the screw tightened back connections which
makes life easier for installing those whopping big GFCI's. Over all
quality IMO ranks close to the top.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not if the breaker is sized for the wire. However, you may
get some irritated people, when they find out their 20 amp
socket only delivers 15 amps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message
On Feb 3, 9:29 am, Phisherman wrote:

snip

Buy a box of Leviton 20A electrical receptacles. The
"heavy duty" or
commercial types won't break and fail like the 50-cent
kinds.

That might lead to a problem if a high current device is
plugged into
a 14 ga circuit which OP apparently has. Might be a code
issue.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am a dummy when it comes to electrical.

When you say 20 amps versus 15 amps sockets. I have two electrical panels,
one for each wing of the house. The circuit breakers are all 20A and above
and the wirings are all 12 gauge. Of course the big appliances have higher
amps and bigger wires. I just checked I only have one breaker that is 15A
which is a dedicated circuit to a single outlet in a hallway - which is
strange...

Here is a picture of Panel A:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pub/PANELA.jpg

and Panel B:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pub/PANELB.jpg

Does this mean I can use 20A receptacles?

Should I change out the lone 15A circuit breaker?

Thanks,

MC

.

"Joe" wrote in message
On Feb 3, 9:29 am, Phisherman wrote:

snip

Buy a box of Leviton 20A electrical receptacles. The
"heavy duty" or
commercial types won't break and fail like the 50-cent
kinds.

That might lead to a problem if a high current device is
plugged into
a 14 ga circuit which OP apparently has. Might be a code
issue.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am a dummy when it comes to electrical.

When you say 20 amps versus 15 amps sockets. I have two electrical panels,
one for each wing of the house. The circuit breakers are all 20A and above
and the wirings are all 12 gauge. Of course the big appliances have higher
amps and bigger wires. I just checked I only have one breaker that is 15A
which is a dedicated circuit to a single outlet in a hallway - which is
strange...

Here is a picture of Panel A:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pub/PANELA.jpg

and Panel B:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pub/PANELB.jpg

Does this mean I can use 20A receptacles?

Should I change out the lone 15A circuit breaker?

A 20 Amp outlet has the extra horizontal slot. -|| and will accept
either the standard plug || or the 20A plug -| . You can install these
outlet if you want but not needed in most residential applications. Some
older AC/heater units or shop equipment may have 20A plugs but kinda
rare.

On 20A circuits you can use either the 15A or 20A outlets.
You should not install the 20A outlets on a 15A circuit.

If your hallway circuit has 12ga wire then you can change the breaker to
20A if you want or leave it. If 14ga then it must remain 15A.

An outlet does not have to be 20A to be better quality. You can get good
and/or commercial grade 15A outlets.
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

"Joe" wrote in message

... On Feb 3, 9:29 am, Phisherman wrote:

snip

Buy a box of Leviton 20A electrical receptacles. The
"heavy duty" or
commercial types won't break and fail like the 50-cent
kinds.

That might lead to a problem if a high current device is
plugged into
a 14 ga circuit which OP apparently has. Might be a code
issue.

Joe

Providing the wire is truly 12ga, you could install 20A receptacles with
or without the extra leg.

20A receptacle needed for a 20A plug has an extra leg so it can't be
plugged into a 15A outlet.

20A receptacle
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Lar...3107I_ NS.jpg
20A plug:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Lar...70601 _al.jpg

Virtually nothing has a 20A plug. Even some of the heavier rental
equipment like floor sanders & insulation blowers only require 15A
lines. They just tend to pop the breaker of other household stuff is
operating on that line.

Having at least one 20A extra leg receptacle is not a bad thing. Since
GFCI's often are on 20A lines anyway, they are available with the extra
leg.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Lar...ge=3195922.JPG

Not all 20A receptacles have the extra leg. There are ones with just the
standard config.

I think the last time I saw a 20A plug was on a heat gun in a shop long
ago.

Basement receptacles GFI ... what about broken receptacles to controllighting ? sid Home Repair 10 June 1st 08 02:05 AM
Switch/Receptacles? Toller Home Repair 5 August 22nd 07 05:03 AM
Drywall & Receptacles Kitep Home Repair 20 June 29th 07 08:45 PM
History of GFI Receptacles Walter R. Home Repair 13 March 10th 05 11:08 PM
Weak Receptacles-Cause? CooSer Home Repair 13 March 11th 04 11:28 PM