Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?

I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports.

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

The male adaptor is only about 2" long. If I solder one end to a copper
pipe, I will have to heat up that fitting, and the adaptor being so short,
the high heat will be transfer to the other end and I wonder if it will mess
up the pipe dope and teflon tape...and may cause it to leak?

Is this concern valid?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports.

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

The male adaptor is only about 2" long. If I solder one end to a copper
pipe, I will have to heat up that fitting, and the adaptor being so short,
the high heat will be transfer to the other end and I wonder if it will mess
up the pipe dope and teflon tape...and may cause it to leak?

Is this concern valid?

Drape a moist rag over the shower body where you don't want the heat.
Use a MAPP torch to heat the fitting quickly, then wipe down the joint
with a moist rag after waiting a few seconds.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports.

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket
end. I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then
I plan to solder the other end to copper pipes.

The male adaptor is only about 2" long. If I solder one end to a
copper pipe, I will have to heat up that fitting, and the adaptor
being so short, the high heat will be transfer to the other end and I
wonder if it will mess up the pipe dope and teflon tape...and may
cause it to leak?
Is this concern valid?

Thanks,

MC

Yes, it can destroy the dope and/or teflon tape as well as any sensitive
seals, temperature compensators and plastic inside the brass body.

Solder the pipe and fittings together so that you have several inches of
copper pipe, THEN thread the threaded end into the brass body. Once you have
prefabed each of the four pipe lengths and attached them to the valve, then
install it in the wall. Sometimes you can support the valve body by
inserting the side hot/cold pipes through holes in the studs and then
threading them into the body.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this concern valid?

Drape a moist rag over the shower body where you don't want the heat.
Use a MAPP torch to heat the fitting quickly, then wipe down the joint
with a moist rag after waiting a few seconds.

Handplanes suggestion will work..... I was concerned as you are about
tape & dope survival but using HP's method I have soldered "near"
tape & dope with no leaks.

btw brass is not nearly the heat conductor that brass is....so heat
the end to be soldered quickly & have "no worries"

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2009 7:53 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

One question, a little off your topic: why use both teflon tape and pipe
dope? Seems like teflon alone ought to be good enough.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if it is still true, but it used to be that Teflon vapor
was highly poisonous. This may no longer be true...I just don't know.
I'd really think twice about heating Teflon tape up to a temperature
that melts solder.

EJ in NJ

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports.

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

The male adaptor is only about 2" long. If I solder one end to a copper
pipe, I will have to heat up that fitting, and the adaptor being so short,
the high heat will be transfer to the other end and I wonder if it will mess
up the pipe dope and teflon tape...and may cause it to leak?

Is this concern valid?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:20:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/2/2009 7:53 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

One question, a little off your topic: why use both teflon tape and pipe
dope? Seems like teflon alone ought to be good enough.

They do NOT work together. Use one or the other. I personally prefer the
tape over the dope. Unless you are using the non-drying teflon dope, the
dope tends to harden and crack and leak and is a nightmare to pull apart
later if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I disagree. I have been using tape and
dope for over 20 years, and I never have
a leak. And yes, I am a plumber, so I do
use this on a weekly basis....

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:20:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/2/2009 7:53 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket
end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan
solder the other end to copper pipes.

One question, a little off your topic: why use both teflon tape and pipe
dope? Seems like teflon alone ought to be good enough.

They do NOT work together. Use one or the other. I personally prefer the
tape over the dope. Unless you are using the non-drying teflon dope, the
dope tends to harden and crack and leak and is a nightmare to pull apart
later if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:45:24 -0700, nefletch wrote:

I disagree. I have been using tape and
dope for over 20 years, and I never have
a leak. And yes, I am a plumber, so I do
use this on a weekly basis....

I would not be hiring you for any plumbing work.

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:20:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/2/2009 7:53 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket
end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan
solder the other end to copper pipes.

One question, a little off your topic: why use both teflon tape and pipe
dope? Seems like teflon alone ought to be good enough.

They do NOT work together. Use one or the other. I personally prefer the
tape over the dope. Unless you are using the non-drying teflon dope, the
dope tends to harden and crack and leak and is a nightmare to pull apart
later if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ernie Willson wrote:
I don't know if it is still true, but it used to be that Teflon vapor
was highly poisonous. This may no longer be true...I just don't know.
I'd really think twice about heating Teflon tape up to a temperature
that melts solder.

Fumes from pyrolyzed Teflon are dangerous to humans as they can cause
"polymer fume fever" or flu like symptoms which go away with time.
Birds like canaries are very susceptible because of their high
respiration requirements and can succumb to fumes from burnt Teflon fry
pans. Teflon does not degrade much below 400 deg. F so it should be OK
to solder a short distance away if solder joint is not overheated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have read that you use one or the other.

However, after researching this a bit over the net, this turned out to be a
subject that has been bought up numerous times on various plumbing forums
and threads and the overwhelming majority of the plumbers says they used
both. This is why I use both.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

the overwhelming majority of the plumbers says they used
both. *This is why I use both.

MC

My dad showed me use of pipe dope in the 50's
....we switched to tape in the 60's

I switched to Teflon dope (80's) only after a plumber doing work for
me suggested it.

I used it until another plumber suggested both & now that's what I
use.

I guess the bottomline is ....any product (or combo) will work if the
joints are made up properly.

But for some reason I seem to like "use both"

I cannot remember the last threaded joint that leaked.......solder is
a different story.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I disagree. I have been using tape and
dope for over 20 years, and I never have
a leak. And yes, I am a plumber, so I do
use this on a weekly basis....

I would not be hiring you for any plumbing work.

There's an old saying that rings true in your case. Some
customers you just don't want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 3:34*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
[...]

Because someone says they use a different technique you imply their
work is sketchy? Seems a bit harsh viewed from the cheap seats - and
unwarranted.

There is no problem with using both tape and dope. Many plumbers use
both tape and dope on all fittings, some just use both on sketchy
joints, and others don't think it's necessary to use both. There's no
prohibition.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13506