Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lifetime guarantee

Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a pin
hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to return it.
They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for about 6 years, of
course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I didn't need it anyways.

Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it here, you
told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the manufacturer, and
you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:42:29 -0500, "Larry K." wrote:

Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a pin
hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to return it.
They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for about 6 years, of
course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I didn't need it anyways.

Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it here, you
told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the manufacturer, and
you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

I hate taking things back... and may shop elsewhere, and fix the hole
with some ... duct tape?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry K. wrote:
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got
a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the receipt and
guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been pretty good to me on
their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no receipt is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:42:29 -0500, "Larry K." wrote:

Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a
pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.

Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

I hate taking things back... and may shop elsewhere, and fix the hole
with some ... duct tape?

duct tape?

You da man!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got
a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the receipt
and
guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been pretty good to me on
their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no receipt is needed.

Was it one of the black rubber hoses marked 'Craftsman' on one of the
fittings? If so they should have exchanged it on the spot. If it wasn't
a 'Craftsman', they might be right.

I bought a Craftsman hose many years ago, and have exchanged it more
than a few times now

I've also been taking back loads of broken/worn out hard (commercially)
used craftsman hand tools... often weekly since the 70's and rarely get
any guff off them. Problems usually occur with new employees who haven't
been properly trained.

Another issue is mission 'critical' items we need replaced, but are out
of stock. This necessitated the purchase of a few dupes for use as
spares.

That warranty has saved me untold tens of thousands of dollars through
the years... it's a good deal.

Be aware, there are limitations, power and most cutting tools aren't
included... however, strangely enough cold chisels and punched are! Read
the warranty info and ask questions before you buy if in doubt.

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry K." wrote in message
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a pin
hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to return it.
They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for about 6 years,
of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I didn't need it anyways.

Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it here,
you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the manufacturer, and
you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

Anyone want a Circuit City guarantee for a laptop?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:32:48 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got
a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the receipt and
guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been pretty good to me on
their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no receipt is needed.

That is why store brand products are generally the best buy at places
like sears and hardware stores. If an Ace hardware brand item with a
lifetime warranty fails, ACE replaces it. If a Sears or Craftsman item
fails, Sears replaces it. If a Radio Shack product fails,adio Shack
replaces it.

If you buy some "name brand" item, generally the manufacturer replaces
it and you are responsible to get it back to them.

And heaven help you if it is some off-brand chinese product and you
need to return it to CHINA for replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fool me once........................

Anyone want a Circuit City guarantee for a laptop?
Steve

I have a CompUSA warantee for sale, real CHEAP!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

When I worked at RadioShack a dozen or so years ago (I was a retiree and
being there was better than sitting at home) there wasn't anything with a
lifetime guarantee. Some items might have a year, but otherwise it was 90
days.

If you buy some "name brand" item, generally the manufacturer replaces
it and you are responsible to get it back to them.

And heaven help you if it is some off-brand chinese product and you
need to return it to CHINA for replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got
a pin hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to
return it. They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for
about 6 years, of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I
didn't need it anyways.
Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it
here, you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the
manufacturer, and you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

If you buy something with a lifetime guarantee, and don't save the receipt and
guarantee statement, what do you expect? Sears has been pretty good to me on
their hand tools. If it's obviously theirs, no receipt is needed.

Not here. I have a screw clamp with the word "Craftsman" burned into
the side. When the clamp handle fell off I took it back to Sears and
they said "Sorry, those are not guaranteed because they have moving
parts."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

parts."- Hide quoted text -

futher sears no longer owens the craftsman brand, they are a licensee
only. kenmore is being sold off, to raise cash for operations.

retail is in a bad way, because of the economy. besides when K mart
bought sears they sold off ALL non retail assests that sears used
vhistorically to survive bad erconomic times.

allstate insurance, NTB tire and battery, their credit card operations
which was larger than retail, coldwell banker real estate, now they
sold off craftsman and soon kenmore.

sears itself is in danger of disappearing adding their name to retail
history like montogomery ward, WT GRANT, woolworths, and a ton of
others.circuit city, just joined that list

its really sad
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

When you see WalMart is packed with customers and K-Mart deserted, you
got to question K-Mart management's strategy. I did see another
"shopper" following me around the store, it turned out to be security
was watching its only customer--have not been back since (really, I
don't act shady!?). You'd think K-mart, after many years of retail
experience, would know what it needs to do to compete. When it
finally fails, nobody to blame but themselves. WalMart knows how to
setup a successful retail store. Lots of customers in Kohls too. In
these times, you got to be open-minded, take risks, and pull in more
customers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 11:20�pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Larry K." wrote in message

Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a pin
hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to return it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

customers.- Hide quoted text -

k mart stock shelves in the middle of the nite so customers dont
interere........

which is a excellent reason not to visit, no one has a clue where
stuff is, and theres too few employees to help effectively.

now target does great, lots of helpful workers who go out of their way
to assist the shopper.

in sears yesterday, very few employees.

they refused to let me use a credit card to buy a digitaL TV
CONVERTER.

but i got one a couple weeks ago at best buy without a problem using
my card.

they lost a sale and moved themselves to the absolute bottom of my
list of stores to shop at.

i could of gone and gotten cash at machine but it wasnt worth it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 5:42*pm, "Larry K." wrote:
Fool me once........................

There is ALWAYS fine print on those so-called lifetime guarantees.

Most require you to send the defective item back to the manufacturer
to take advantage of the guarantee. It's a hoop that they make you
jump through, which is usually enough to keep most people from
bothering. They just throw the hose out and buy a new one.

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 1, 5:42 pm, "Larry K." wrote:

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

The guy does not know his product or his warranty. They ARE covered.
Go to a different store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stun" wrote

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

Doesnt matter. Unless it is exclusively sold there, it's back to the
manufacturere or must have recipt showing you got it there at Sears. If you
got it there and within (believe it's 30 days?) they will take it back
regardless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stun" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
On Feb 1, 5:42 pm, "Larry K." wrote:

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

I don't know how you know, they still sell the same hose, but they do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Stun" wrote

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

Doesnt matter. Unless it is exclusively sold there, it's back to the
manufacturere or must have recipt showing you got it there at Sears. If
you got it there and within (believe it's 30 days?) they will take it
back regardless.

It may not matter legally, but a very **** poor way to do business. IMHO

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry K. wrote:
"Stun" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
On Feb 1, 5:42 pm, "Larry K." wrote:

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

I don't know how you know, they still sell the same hose, but they do.

I've got an old Sears hose and it has held up well. Probably 25 years
old. I did not get it directly from Sears so when it developed a pin
hole or two, I just cut the hose and put on a cheap crimp on hose coupling.

Don't know who bought who but Sears is ruining local K-Mart. Businesses
come and go and these two are going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stun" wrote:

wrote in message
On Feb 1, 5:42 pm, "Larry K." wrote:

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

No terms or conditions? Yer jokin', right? The warranty "terms and
conditions" are likely 2500 words printed in 6 point type on that little
slip of paper you threw away with the packing material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , "Stun" wrote:

wrote in message
On Feb 1, 5:42 pm, "Larry K." wrote:

Nobody fooled you. You didn't bother to read the terms and conditions
before buying.

They still sell the exact hose. There are _no_ terms or conditions. It
simple says "Lifetime guarantee", and it's sold in their Sears Hardware
Outlet, which they don't have on the net.

No terms or conditions? Yer jokin', right? The warranty "terms and
conditions" are likely 2500 words printed in 6 point type on that little
slip of paper you threw away with the packing material.

They could be creative too. I have seen phrases on products such as this:

"this product is warranted according to the terms and conditions found
at: http:\\we-are-big-box-megacorp-and-you-are-nothing.com/sleazy-warranty"
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Larry K." wrote in message
Are these things worth it?

Bought a lifetime guaranteed garden hose from Sears Hardware. It got a pin
hole in it. Called Sears Hardware, asked them what I needed to return it.
They said just bring the hose back. I've had the hose for about 6 years,
of course I didn't save the receipt, Sears said I didn't need it anyways.

Got to Sears, they informed me I needed to send the hose back to the
manufacturer, because it wasn't their brand. Hold on, I bought it here,
you told me to bring it back. Nope, send it back to the manufacturer, and
you'll need your receipt.

Fool me once........................

Anyone want a Circuit City guarantee for a laptop?

If you mean extended warranty, it's still good, because the extended
warranties are handled by a third party company, not CC.

HellT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik wrote:
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall Sears handing out ratchet
rebuild kits at one time whenever a customer
brought a Craftsman ratchet back.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

I worked for Tandy Repair, the repair division of Radio
Shack back in 1978-79 and the Radio Shack Mach One speakers
had a lifetime warranty. Negro Americans were returning
the damn things with the terminals and cross over networks
melted not to mention all the drivers and voice coils blown.
It was amazing, I think they were listening to square waves.
Radio Shack did away with lifetime warranty a short time
later.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote:
I seem to recall Sears handing out ratchet
rebuild kits at one time whenever a customer
brought a Craftsman ratchet back.

They tried to give me a USED ratchet when I brought my broken one in. The
used one barely worked as well.

I asked to speak to a manager, and after a lot of arguing, ended up with a
new replacement.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I purchased a small roto tiller from sears, a mantis, It developed a leak
within the warranty period. Took it back and they told me I had to send it
back to mantis. I told them no way it was within the return period.. Since
it was a close out and had none on the florr they traded me for a new
craftsman mini tiller that was a better value...worked for me
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Erik wrote:
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Larry K. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jimmy" wrote in message
snip
I seem to recall Sears handing out ratchet
rebuild kits at one time whenever a customer
brought a Craftsman ratchet back.

TDD

They tried that on my once a long time ago. I asked for the manager and told
him that when I purchased the ratchet I didn't purchase it in kit form and
expected them to repair or replace it the same way. They gave me a brand
new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sanity wrote:
"jimmy" wrote in message
snip
I seem to recall Sears handing out ratchet
rebuild kits at one time whenever a customer
brought a Craftsman ratchet back.

TDD

They tried that on my once a long time ago. I asked for the manager and told
him that when I purchased the ratchet I didn't purchase it in kit form and
expected them to repair or replace it the same way. They gave me a brand
new one.

If I had a really old Crapsman ratchet I'd rather have an old/rebuilt
one than a new one for a replacement. They seemed to be much better
quality in the past.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Larry K., Kenny wrote:
I have two hose that leaks what do I do to get new hose

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ee-356999-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2019 11:44 PM, Kenny wrote:
replying to Larry K., KennyÂ* wrote:
I have two hose that leaks what do I do to get new hose

See a Urologist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2019 11:44 PM, Kenny wrote:
replying to Larry K., KennyÂ* wrote:
I have two hose that leaks what do I do to get new hose

Sorry! I don't know of any government program that supplies free hoses to the truly needy.Â* You may have to purchase new ones at an Import Megamart store near you.