Posted to alt.home.repair

Default strobe lights for attic to repel mice/squirrels

Hello,
For several years now, we have mice/squirrels making noises
in the attic and nowadays in crawlspace.

I read about strobelights and wonder if anyone out there has tried
this? Or other devices to repel them humanely?

Does the strobe light require to be on the whole time? And can it be
controlled remotely, i.e. shut off prior to going to attic so as to
not damage human eyes.

Also, is there any danger that rats/squirrel may have trouble exitting
property with these lights?

Finally, is there anything else on the market that can repel that does
not involve putting chemicals of any kind?

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,
For several years now, we have mice/squirrels making noises
in the attic and nowadays in crawlspace.

I read about strobelights and wonder if anyone out there has tried
this? Or other devices to repel them humanely?

Does the strobe light require to be on the whole time? And can it be
controlled remotely, i.e. shut off prior to going to attic so as to
not damage human eyes.

what about non human eyes?

Also, is there any danger that rats/squirrel may have trouble exitting
property with these lights?

Finally, is there anything else on the market that can repel that does
not involve putting chemicals of any kind?

Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
wrote:

For several years now, we have mice/squirrels making noises
in the attic and nowadays in crawlspace.

I read about strobelights and wonder if anyone out there has tried
this? Or other devices to repel them humanely?

Does the strobe light require to be on the whole time? And can it be
controlled remotely, i.e. shut off prior to going to attic so as to
not damage human eyes.

Also, is there any danger that rats/squirrel may have trouble exitting
property with these lights?

Finally, is there anything else on the market that can repel that does
not involve putting chemicals of any kind?

Effectiveness of strobelights - I don't know, though I suspect they will
repel nocturnal varmints.

Need to keep running - I would say yes.

Safety of strobelights to humand and property:

The eye hazard is very minimal - I looked into the darn things too
bleeping much, since I used to build such things. Avoid staring into one
for more than several seconds, and I think you will toast your eyeballs
even less than I haven't.
(Warranty: If you toast your eyeballs with my advice, I refund what you
paid me for it and no more.)

I wrote the following web page:

http://members.misty.com/don/xesafe.html

Eye hazards are relevant pretty much to strobe beasts more serious than
usual "party strobes".

Hazard to animals' eyes - I would say similar, fairly certainly zero
actual damage if the strobe repels the varmints rather than causes them to
get entranced and stare into the darn thing at close range.

Other possible hazards - I would worry that all too many strobes of
reasonable to low price are cheap units made by low bid manufacturers and
that they may have passed UL testing by the skins of their teeth. I am
very leery about letting much of anything electric other than
refrigerators and climate control equipment do a lot of running in rooms
that are usually unoccupied.
For one thing, the energy storage capacitor is unlikely to outlive you,
and it could kick the bucket in some spectacular way or another.
For another thing, summer heat in attics may cause electronic products
to fail with components going short-circuit or partially-short-circuit,
or cause plastic parts to melt out of shape.
I see too many strobes that I would only run in an attic if placed in a
manner that makes it acceptable for them to catch fire or spit sparks of
molten metal a couple feet - may be hard to do. Otherwise, if you can
find one that is both well-fused and made with non-combustible structural
materials and will contain any components inside blowing up and spewing
sparks, it may be reasonably safe for prolonged unsupervised operation in
an attic.

(For that matter, I have seen a couple window fan motors catch fire -
with actual flames - once the motors get gunked up inside from dust and
get bogged down. That was back in the early and mid 1970's, when most
electrical and electronic goods in USA were made in USA!)

Alternatives:

The main electronic one I am aware of is the ultrasonic pest repeller.
I have seen a fair amount of negative press about actual effectiveness.

Probably better to seal up / repair whatever the varmints are getting in
through.

- Don Klipstein , )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Finally, is there anything else on the market that can repel that
does not involve putting chemicals of any kind?

Yes. Make a personal appearance in your squirrel room every few days
and say hello. They are up there because you don't do that, and they
think they have property rights up there. Also see if they are getting
to your food, your garbage, or your pets' food, and stop them if so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:16:48 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Works great but ya gotta hire Jefferson Airplane or other pyschedelic
band to play at 120 decibel sound levels, 24 hours/day.

This works I've read. Just a little water added into the container.

http://byteshuffler.com/rospo/blog/u...rap-789229.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

That will work. Also tie knots every few inches in a large plastic
trash bag and hang from the ceiling by a clothes hanger over a
trash can lid full of water and light it and play hard rock music.
The plastic burns and makes cool noises when the melted plastic
falls into the water. Have a few drinks before and it's better.
Your mice and squirrels will run screaming from the house.
Dan Dangerous

So will the people, to stand and watch as their house burns to the
ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bert Byfield wrote:
That will work. Also tie knots every few inches in a large plastic
trash bag and hang from the ceiling by a clothes hanger over a
trash can lid full of water and light it and play hard rock music.
The plastic burns and makes cool noises when the melted plastic
falls into the water. Have a few drinks before and it's better.
Your mice and squirrels will run screaming from the house.
Dan Dangerous

So will the people, to stand and watch as their house burns to the
ground.

Zoomies! I remember those! Visqueen works a lot better than garbage
bags, and this is definitely an OUTSIDE game.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:37:46 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Finally, is there anything else on the market that can repel that does
not involve putting chemicals of any kind?

A cat.

Best cat is from the local prison. Adopted it/them, I still have one,
many years old.

"Jessie" a white collar prison cat, eventually caught wild rabbits. I
miss her, but Darby (Darby, PA named) will walk to the mail box with
us. It confounds the neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if they work - but i would put them on a motion sensor...
30$ at home improvement store.
anytime something/someone comes in the attic - they kick on, like a
security light.

you could wire a switch to the attic entrance to shut it off before
you go up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:46:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

-snip-
Does the strobe light require to be on the whole time? And can it be
controlled remotely, i.e. shut off prior to going to attic so as to
not damage human eyes.

I just thought of this after reading about motion detectors and such.

CDHK (Canon Hack Developers Kit) is open source freeware that you put
on a Canon point & shoot camera that will allow it to use motion
detection to take a picture. I've been playing with it for a
week or so & it boggles the mind how cool it is.

For your usage you'd need a Canon point & shoot that takes an ac
adapter- and depending on the camera you might want a small light left
on in the attic or the ability to manual focus. Set it to flash-
and you'd probably scare off the intruder, but you'd also capture what
it was and how 'scared' it was by the flashing light. [I'd put the
camera in a cage in case a raccoon enters your attic. It wouldn't
surprise me if a coon would be more curious than scared.]

The Wiki for CDHK is at
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
I'm old and not a complete geek so it took me a few days of reading
before I put it on a card and tried it--- [keep life simple and use
a 4gb card or smaller]-- my 22 yr old son skimmed the page, loaded it
up and was shooting in 20 minutes.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 4:46*pm, wrote:

Finally, is there anything else on the market that can repel that does
not involve putting chemicals of any kind?

Perhaps you could provide a list of materials which do not contain
"chemicals of any kind"...?

Beyond burning a structure to ashes, nothing works other than
eliminating the population or excluding them.

Period.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you Jim. Yes, this is along the lines of what I am looking for,
a device that is motion based and does something to repel these
rodents.

only thing is I am wondering if there is a better device than a camera
to repel these rodents.

I was googling and found that some folks are able to attach motion-
sensors to things like lamps to make them go on and off.

Could I do the same and attach some kind of motion sensor that flashes
a light on and off thus possibly repelling the animals?

I'm not particularly handy so appreciate any ideas anyone has on
setting something up that is really easy or buying something on the
market that does this.

I know there are motion sensor outdoor lights, but I need something
portable and small that I can leave in the attic. Battery based is
best.

Thank you all.

On Jan 28, 8:41*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:12*pm, Dan Dangerous wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Dan Dangerous- Hide quoted text -

Tieing palstic bags to sticks and melting them over a camp fire is a
staple of our camping trips.

I still have some of the old fashion garden hoses with (the black
liner). Slip a length of that into a copper pipe and put it in the
fire for some cool flame color effects.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-355986-.htm
Strobeman wrote:

I believe that the fire safety comments are mostly intended for strobes
that are not designed for industrial use but instead are for theatre and
disco lighting and not designed for long term use in harsh environments.
Also, via the webpage he listed ....
http://members.misty.com/don/xesafe.html ... in the comment ... “Most fire
hazards are from homebrew designs, modified commercial designs, improperly
built kits, modified kit designs, misuse/abuse, and improper repairs ...”

My Rodent Strobe pest control strobe lights are UL tested ... as he warns
is often misleading due to just passing UL standards with low quality
electronic components - I would like to point out in rebuttal that Rodent
Strobe pest control strobes have a 10 year warranty on the strobe’s
internal electronics.
Also, that Rodent Strobes are being used by a Fire Chief in a Fire Station
to protect from further roof rats damage - his testimony with name on top
of my home page ..www.rodentstrobe.com .

That one of my customers had lightning hit her attic and the only thing
that was not fried by the voltage surge were her Rodent Strobe strobe
lights because of the built in surge protection (her testimony on my
website www.rodentstrobe.com/dorodentstrobework.html ).

Rodent Strobe strobe lights for squirrels internal electronics are
coated/potted in Polyurethane so all the electric components are sealed
within the coating making them very heat resistant and thoroughly moisture
proof.

Rodent Strobe pest control strobes are rated for 158 degrees Fahrenheit
(average attic temperatures in the peak of summer rarely exceed 120-130
Degrees Fahrenheit - I was once working in an attic, over a period of
several days, in Phoenix AZ in the middle of summer ... the outside
temperature was 110-112F and the attic temperature did not exceed 128F. )
On another occasion I regularly measured the temperature of an attic in
Memphis TN in July and August ... outside temperatures of 93-97 degrees
Fahrenheit and the attic temperature never exceeded 105 Degrees
Fahrenheit. Both attics had typical adequate ventilation via standard
louvered vents which are common to most residences and are designed to
allow attic heat to escape and not build up inside of the attic.

My strobe uses only 4.8 watts of electricity thus have very little heat
discharge - not even warm to the touch.
Rodent Strobe strobe lights for squirrels are custom made in the USA by a
leading strobe manufacturer that produces strobes for emergency vehicles
such as fire trucks and police cars and again are custom built for Rodent
Strobe with internal electronics having a ten year warranty - how many
electronic devices now-a-days have a ten year warranty?

Again, I believe that his comments are mostly intended for strobes that
are not designed for industrial use but instead are for theatre and disco
lighting and not designed for long term use in harsh environments. Also,
via the webpage he listed .... http://members.misty.com/don/xesafe.html
... in the comment ... “Most fire hazards are from homebrew designs,
modified commercial designs, improperly built kits, modified kit designs,
misuse/abuse, and improper repairs ...”
One last note - fire hazards - according to university websites an
estimated 20% of residential fires of “unknown cause” are attributed to
rodents (squirrels are rodents - “rodents” comes from the Latin “Rodere” -
“to gnaw”) chewing on attic wires. According to the Dept. of Homeland
Security fire stats. and conversations with the department fire statics
manager - that is approx. 15,000 to 30,000 fires a year cause by rodents
like squirrels chewing on attic wiring in the USA alone.

How do strobe lights for squirrels work? - I write on
www.rodentstrobe.com :

“The ciliary muscle in the eye controls the expansion and contraction of
the pupil. The usual adjustments made by this muscle in the eyes of
squirrels, roof rats, mice and more, are small. In response to the strobes
in a dark (naturally dark or becomes dark at night) environment this
muscle in the Squirrels\', Roof Rats\', Mice and other pests, has to make
dramatic adjustments (140-180 times per minute). An ophthalmologist I
spoke to, at a world-renowned clinic in Scottsdale AZ, likened it to this:
Imagine you lift a ten pound dumbbell weight one time. Then imagine that
you lifted the same weight 1,500 times in a ten minute period. Your arm
would be hurting for days. The ophthalmologist said the strobes would have
the same effect on rodent (and other animal pests’) eyes. RESULT: THE
PESTS LEAVE”

I hope these comments are helpful to your readers.

Kind Regards
Kevin Peterson, President
Rodent Strobe Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Strobeman wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-355986-.htm
Strobeman wrote:

Or, you could just cut back the nearby trees that allow easy access to the roof,
and the problem is gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-355986-.htm
Strobeman wrote:

The strobe lights for squirrels effect the ciliary muscle (eye muscle that
controls the expansion and contraction of the pupil) in the eye (causing
considerable eye soreness for the pests) and also the saccadic eye
movements (tracking movements made by the eyes) causes general
disorientation in the pests and nausea.

These effects are more cumulative (over time and repeated exposure) than
immediate so the pests leave as the effects start to accumulate - usually
within 24-48 hours. Please see Rodent Strobe’s “How it Works” section for
more information and scientific documentation ... www.rodentstrobe.com .

Industrial quality pest control strobe lights for squirrels (as opposed to
disco or theatre strobes which are not designed to withstand the attic
heat and have too high of a flash per minute rate to effect the ciliary
muscle) have the same effect on human eyes - so exposure in a dark
environment is not recommended. When the strobes are running there is pest
protection - when not - no pest protection. Turning the strobes off is
recommended before entering the application site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Strobeman wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-355986-.htm
Strobeman wrote:

You're getting into some serious spamming now. Not very popular with usenet
readers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 5, 10:42*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Strobeman wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...for-attic-to-r...
Strobeman wrote:

You're getting into some serious spamming now. Not very popular with usenet
readers.

==
For sure...and if one is using strobe lights to deter rodents...might
as well have some loud music as well...that should really be
effective.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Strobeman, Susan sellers wrote:
Where can we purchase your Rodent Strobe?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-355986-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to anjela_pat, PestTools wrote:
Evictor® Strobe Light is THE Best humane solution for effectively evicting
wildlife from your homes!
It was developed to finally solve a squirrel problem in one homeowner's attic
for 35 years.
Read the article featured in PMP Magazine he
http://www.mypmp.net/2016/09/05/squi...htmare-solved/

Although the Evictor® Strobe Light will successfully evict Squirrels, Roof
Rats, Raccoons, Opossums and other wildlife, it is not recommended to use on
mice or bats.

The Evictor® has been on the market since 2004 and is manufactured here in
the US.

It emits NO chemicals and NO heat discharge.

We Do Recommend leaving your Evictor® strobe light on continuously.
Energy usage for the Evictor 10K unit is only 105.12 kilowatt hours per year.
Running continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a full year, the
estimated energy cost is less than $10.

Because the Evictor® is a high-intensity strobe light, care must be taken
when entering or exiting your attic or crawlspace. Do not look directly at
the light! Your eyes will be adversely affected. If you suffer from seizures
do not be in the area while this product is flashing. For best results, we
recommend a switch be installed for easy shut-off.

As for animal eviction, the strobes will annoy the squirrels in your attic,
and They WILL find their way out of your attic! You can check out our latest
video where we installed several in a huge attic in Maryland. The homeowner
was tired of having the recurring squirrel problem in her attic and wanted to
get them out permanently and humanely! She hasn't had them settle back into
her attic since.
Watch the video:
https://www.evictor.com/blogs/articl...from-your-home

We welcome any questions regarding Evictor® Strobe Lights or your personal
pest control problem!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ls-355986-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Susan sellers, Bill wrote:
Hello Susan, I hate to tell you this, but I am the true Inventor of the Rodent
Strobe Light (patented in 2004 ) Strobeman conviently borrowed the idea and
sold an imitation.. I have built thousands of Evictors, installed hundred
personally and have shipped many to Europe, Canada, Africa, Australia and
throughout the USA You can buy them at my web site: www.evictor.com

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ls-355986-.htm