Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulate humidifier drain tube from furnace flue

I installed a humidifier recently on my furnace. All mechanicals are
in a small closet, and the only way that the overflow tubing (3/8 ID
vinyl tubing) can be routed to the drain is over the furnace flue - so
gravity pulls the tubing into contact with the flue. Since this gets
really hot (hot enough to melt the pipe wrap insulation I tried), I
need a method to keep the tubing from melting. Any ideas? I'd like
to avoid having to purchase and use mineral wool since I only need a
tiny bit and that stuff is pretty nasty. Extra points for original
ideas! Thanks everyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 9:43�am, wrote:
I installed a humidifier recently on my furnace. �All mechanicals are
in a small closet, and the only way that the overflow tubing (3/8 ID
vinyl tubing) can be routed to the drain is over the furnace flue - so
gravity pulls the tubing into contact with the flue. �Since this gets
really hot (hot enough to melt the pipe wrap insulation I tried), I
need a method to keep the tubing from melting. �Any ideas? �I'd like
to avoid having to purchase and use mineral wool since I only need a
tiny bit and that stuff is pretty nasty. � Extra points for original
ideas! �Thanks everyone.

use soft copper but be sure the heat cant work its way back and melt
the humidifier

soft copper is stiff enough to form away from flue.

or use some hangers on the plastic line keep it well away

vinyly is highly flammable, you have a fire hazard
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a hanger right now, but I consider this a temporary solution as
it looks very amateurish. Just wasn't sure if there was another
option for a more professional look. I like the copper tubing idea,
thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 10:18�am, wrote:
I have a hanger right now, but I consider this a temporary solution as
it looks very amateurish. �Just wasn't sure if there was another
option for a more professional look. �I like the copper tubing idea,
thanks!

or run the line a different way to a condensate pump?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 9:43*am, wrote:
I installed a humidifier recently on my furnace. *All mechanicals are
in a small closet, and the only way that the overflow tubing (3/8 ID
vinyl tubing) can be routed to the drain is over the furnace flue - so
gravity pulls the tubing into contact with the flue. *Since this gets
really hot (hot enough to melt the pipe wrap insulation I tried), I
need a method to keep the tubing from melting. *Any ideas? *I'd like
to avoid having to purchase and use mineral wool since I only need a
tiny bit and that stuff is pretty nasty. * Extra points for original
ideas! *Thanks everyone.

Cut the plastic tubing and use some soft copper in the high heat areas
and hose clamp the plastic to the copper well away from the hot flue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was more actively doing HVAC, we had metal parts
called "stand offs".

The other suggestion to use copper tubing sounds right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus