DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Burn on kitchen formica counter top (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/268798-burn-kitchen-formica-counter-top.html)

Bob January 11th 09 03:26 PM

Burn on kitchen formica counter top

In a rental unit, I have a burned spot(about 2" in diameter )on the formica
kitchen countertop.

Short of replacing the entire kitchen countertop surface, are there other
solutions that have worked for the group's members?

Thank you very much for any and all input.

Bob

SteveBell[_2_] January 13th 09 12:23 AM

Burn on kitchen formica counter top

In a rental unit, I have a burned spot(about 2" in diameter )on the
formica kitchen countertop.

Short of replacing the entire kitchen countertop surface, are there
other solutions that have worked for the group's members?

If it's not too deep, you can try sanding it out, but the pattern is
probably just printed onto the laminate, and you'll sand right through
it.

My best solution is to put down another piece of laminate or tile.

Other option:
Use a router to remove a rectangular recess, then fill it with tile to
make a permanent trivet.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

SteveB[_9_] January 13th 09 12:40 AM

Burn on kitchen formica counter top

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
In a rental unit, I have a burned spot(about 2" in diameter )on the
formica kitchen countertop.

Short of replacing the entire kitchen countertop surface, are there other
solutions that have worked for the group's members?

Thank you very much for any and all input.

Bob

If you have a router, rout out the bad place with a template. Just deep
enough to get the formica but not the substrate. Rout out a matching piece
of formica. Check depth so it isn't so deep that it will be recessed, nor
so high it will stick up. Insert and glue with contact cement. Coat both
pieces, and let set for ten minutes to get tacky. Put a weight on it so it
stays level and flush. LET DRY FOR 24 HOURS. You can fill in the seam with
clear epoxy, and sand or rout until flush if enough glue hasn't come up to
fill the crack. Altogether a precision repair, and if you do it right, an
acceptable one, but you will be able to see the seam and repair. Other than
replacing the whole top, it's the way to go.

Steve