DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dryer hums and doesn't spin (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/268741-dryer-hums-doesnt-spin.html)

173green January 12th 09 01:40 AM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I
changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt
attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I
can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart
without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push
the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant
suggests?

-------------------------------------

Speedy Jim[_2_] January 12th 09 01:48 AM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

173green wrote:
I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I
changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt
attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I
can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart
without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push
the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant
suggests?

That motor was mentioned on this page:
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html
See if that's any help.

If the Start relay isn't closed, the motor shouldn't
do anything/

Typical Whirlpool diagram he
http://applianceguru.com/hello/201/9...pgasdrysch.jpg

Jim

Jimw January 12th 09 05:49 AM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

On 12 Jan 2009 01:40:47 GMT,
(173green) wrote:

I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I
changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt
attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I
can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart
without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push
the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant
suggests?

Did you try plugging the motor directly into an outlet?
Attach a cord with a plug on the end to the motor, use a few wirenuts
and plug it in. If it still hums, you got motor problems on BOTH
motors. If it spins normally, there is a wiring or switch problem.
Try this with out the belt first, then put on the belt and try again
(if the motor worked the first time).

If these are capacitor motors, the caps may be bad, if problem is the
motors themselves.

Mikepier January 12th 09 11:33 AM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

Something is not right. Just the fact that the motor starts without
pushing the start button tells me there a wiring problem someplace.
Remove the start switch and see if its stuck or shorted.

JohnR66 January 12th 09 01:25 PM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

Jimw January 12th 09 02:01 PM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:30 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:

motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. I dont recall
ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on
an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ????
Just a thought.

Mikepier January 12th 09 02:34 PM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

On Jan 12, 9:01*am, Jimw wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:30 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:
motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. *I dont recall
ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on
an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ????
Just a thought.

He posted on a seperate thread( same subject) one down from this one
its a gas dryer.

J. Clarke January 12th 09 02:52 PM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

JohnR66 wrote:
motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The thing is, she said she replaced the motor and the new one is doing
it too, even with the belt not attached. Parts list for that model
shows no separate capacitor or starting relay.

Either the new motor is dead in the same way as the old one, which
while not impossible is pushing coincidence, or there's a problem with
a part external to the motor, which likely would be the switch or
wiring.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jimw January 12th 09 03:07 PM

dryer hums and doesn't spin

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:34:00 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Jan 12, 9:01*am, Jimw wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:30 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:
motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. *I dont recall
ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on
an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ????
Just a thought.

He posted on a seperate thread( same subject) one down from this one
its a gas dryer.

I missed that post, but then it's a 110 motor.
Like I said earlier, hook the motor wires to a cord and plug it in.
If it works properly, there's a wiring problem. Otherwise motor(s)
are defective.