Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kilz

I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. My
question is: is the oil based primer allowed/available in California.

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. The floor is on a concrete slab. I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Treat the pet odor stains on the concrete with a malodorant available at any
janitorial supply. Malodorants contain enzymes that will eat the smell away.
Use it very very liberally. I have done this many times on house flips and
it works easily. Any questions just ask.
Don't buy the stuff at the pet food stores it is way over priced.

cm

"szabriskie" wrote in message
om...
I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. My
question is: is the oil based primer allowed/available in California.

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. The floor is on a concrete slab. I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"szabriskie" wrote in message
om...

I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. My
question is: is the oil based primer allowed/available in California.

If paint stores cannot tell you, ask the state goverment consumer
affairs department whether there is any sort of a ban.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"szabriskie" wrote in message
om...
I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. My
question is: is the oil based primer allowed/available in California.

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. The floor is on a concrete slab. I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

-------------------------------------

As for the allowablility of an oil-based product you can call any paint
store or even the paint desk at a box store for that answer. Lowe's os
where I found out that PA no longer allows oil based. Interestinly enough,
I was told that while the gallons were banned there are products that are
allowable in quarts only. What the heck is that about? I miss the
oil-based products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 12:53*pm, (szabriskie)
wrote:
I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. *My
question is: *is the oil based primer allowed/available in California. *

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. *The floor is on a concrete slab. *I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

.............is the oil based primer allowed/available in California.

Kilz seems to have disappeared from HD & paint stores in SoCal more
than a year ago.
Shortly after that Zinseer "oil base" primers went as well.

I think these types of products are permanently gone from the
California market.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 3:53�pm, (szabriskie) wrote:
I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. �My
question is: �is the oil based primer allowed/available in California. �

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. �The floor is on a concrete slab. �I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE! like you would use for wood floors Its smelly
but works 100% believe me I had a home that was GROSS

Clean well apply multiple coats.

You must use outdoor poly because if floor gets wet say under a carpet
thats being scrubbed the smell will return

outdoor is oil based and wouldnt allow odor to reappear.,

if the home stinks clean all air ducts, scrub walls paint with kilz.

been there done this

Its what fire restoration companies do
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 2:53*pm, (szabriskie) wrote:
I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. *My
question is: *is the oil based primer allowed/available in California. *

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. *The floor is on a concrete slab. *I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I question whether Kilz or any oil primer would do, after a fire a
very expensive and nasty primer is nedded to stop smokes smell. I
would start with Bleach, after a few days Amonia, then the more
expensive enzime deoderizers. Bleach kills mold and anything alive and
is cheap, you can put it in a garden sprayer and spray and leave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 7:40�am, ransley wrote:
On Jan 9, 2:53�pm, (szabriskie) wrote:

I know Kilz is a good primer available in oil based and latex based. �My
question is: �is the oil based primer allowed/available in California. �

We are cleaning up my deceased brother's house and there are a lot of
stinky stains on the floor. �The floor is on a concrete slab. �I have used
this on ceiling stains and it works great, but I don't know about pet
stains on the floor.
Thanks in advance-
szabriskie

-------------------------------------

Delivered via �http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I question whether Kilz or any oil primer would do, after a fire a
very expensive and nasty primer is nedded to stop smokes smell. I
would start with Bleach, after a few days Amonia, then the more
expensive enzime deoderizers. Bleach kills mold and anything alive and
is cheap, you can put it in a garden sprayer and spray and leave.- Hide quoted text -

Ransley, you can question all you want, but thats how fire odor
control is handled.

You scrape and clean the best you can but nothing gets rid of 100% of
the smoke odor. then you coat with Kilz and seal in the odor.

I helped with a friends $130,000 home fire restoration, we did much of
the work ourselves.

the trouble with smoke or urine odor is it reappears in moisture, like
rainey days.

smoke stink cant be removed from overstuffed furniture like padded
sofas.

insurance just pays to replace.

intelligent homeownwers have replacement insurance to pay 100% the
cost of new
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:31�am, " wrote:
[...]

cost of new- Hide quoted text -

and again outdoor polyruethane for all floors, even concrete ones.

a fellow I met owned a apartment building with concrete floors. a
tenant had it overrun with pets urine odor.

the apartment manager after getting rid of the tenant removed all
the carpet, scrubbed all the concrete floors, painted etc. and had new
carpeting installed.

looked good however after new tenant moved in odor returned every time
it rained. urine stink migrated out of concrete slab brand new carpet
stank bad

fire restoration company was called. they suggested remove and send
new carpet to garbage, clean concrete floors, dry and seal with 3
coats of outdoor poyurethane normally used to finish wood floors,
install brand new carpeting.

it worked no more odors
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malodorants are easier to use than varnish and work on permanently removing
urine odor from concrete. You can do a large home for less than $30.00 in
materials. I do it all the time. Including the house I live in now. 1 1/2
years later and all stink is gone.

cm

wrote in message
On Jan 10, 8:31?am, " wrote:
[...]

Kilz primer.. how old is old? Chuck (in SC) Home Repair 7 June 22nd 07 01:43 PM
Kilz Or Zinsser ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 10:19 PM
Repaint Garage - Kilz or not? jj3000 Home Repair 6 January 21st 05 03:35 PM
Kilz paint is Great! [email protected] Home Repair 13 January 11th 05 02:35 AM
Kilz gloss Agkistrodon Woodworking 11 November 17th 03 08:45 PM