Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pre-Finished quarter round

I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished
fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring.
My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the
finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled?
Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on
molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?

Thanks,
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic wrote:
I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished
fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring.
My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the
finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled?
Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on
molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?

Thanks,
Vic

Glue?

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching filler. Don't
put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the baseboards
and putting the laminate underneath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching filler. Don't
put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the baseboards
and putting the laminate underneath.

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing
the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next
job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what
most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:03:53 -0800, Vic wrote:

I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished
fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring.
My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the
finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled?
Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on
molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?

Thanks,
Vic

Seems to me I picked up some finishing brads that were stained a brown
color for some brown trim. The brads came in different colors. Tacked them
flush with the trim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching
filler. Don't put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the
baseboards and putting the laminate underneath.

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing
the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next
job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what
most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.

I either remove the baseboards and reinstall them later, or I apply
quarter-round to hide the expansion gap. Which I do depends on what the
client wants.

I prefer to do the quarter-round because it's faster. There's also an
good possibility that the baseboard isn't big enough to cover the
required expansion joint.

p.s. I always fill the holes, even on wood-grain quarter-round. I also
caulk the gap between the baseboard and the quarter-round.

Your other responder is correct: nail the quarter-round to the
baseboard, not to the flooring--you don't want it moving in and out
with weather changes.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic wrote:

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching filler. Don't
put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the baseboards
and putting the laminate underneath.

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing
the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next
job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what
most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.

We had baseboards undercut when we had tile installed. Not a DIY job
here, but it was done just
after a new paint job without dinging the paint. No quarter round.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Vic wrote:

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching filler.
Don't put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the
baseboards and putting the laminate underneath.

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing
the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next
job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what
most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.

We had baseboards undercut when we had tile installed. Not a DIY job
here, but it was done just
after a new paint job without dinging the paint. No quarter round.

Could you explain to me what tool they used to undercut existing baseboard?
I can't imagine undercutting 60 plus linear feet of baseboard. Cutting that
far up, usually there's not much meat left on the baseboard.

Just curious
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching
filler. Don't put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the
baseboards and putting the laminate underneath.

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing
the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next
job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what
most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.

I either remove the baseboards and reinstall them later, or I apply
quarter-round to hide the expansion gap. Which I do depends on what the
client wants.

Dont like removing existing baseboard unless customer is replacing it. It
always seems to crack or break when you think your almost done. And I agree
with you on the baseboard covering the gap.

I prefer to do the quarter-round because it's faster. There's also an
good possibility that the baseboard isn't big enough to cover the
required expansion joint.

I prefer this method tooo. And the caulking

p.s. I always fill the holes, even on wood-grain quarter-round. I also
caulk the gap between the baseboard and the quarter-round.

Your other responder is correct: nail the quarter-round to the
baseboard, not to the flooring--you don't want it moving in and out
with weather changes.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic wrote:
I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished
fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring.
My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the
finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled?
Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on
molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?

Thanks,
Vic

Colored nails, deeply set. They will vanish more than puttied holes
would. If this is above a floating floor, remember to make sure the
nails only go sideways into the baseboard, not down into floor or into
the expansion space. Same place that sells the flooring and trim should
have the matching nails. If you accidentally make visible scars, they
also usually have matching marker pens to color over the oopsies with.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 8, 1:03*pm, Vic wrote:
I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished
fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring.
My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the
finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled?
Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on
molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?

Thanks,
Vic

If you use a brad nail gun the brads will be deeply set and nearly
invisible. Use a colored putty if that isn't good enough. No way i
would ever go back to using a hammer and nail set these days, the
nailer is so much better.

Joe