DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   water heater problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/268113-water-heater-problem.html)

daniel-matt January 4th 09 06:42 AM

water heater problem

Hello, need some suggestions if anyone is willing:

A.O. Smith water heater, not more than 3-5 years old. Diagnostic LED's
saying "System Lockout" which manual says is:

1. Gas supply is off or too low to operate.
2. Hot surface igniter not positioned
correctly.
3. Low voltage to the water heater.
4. Electric polarity to unit is incorrect - test

The blower kicks on, igniter glows, gas kicks in, burner lights for a
second then goes out and repeat 3x until it locks out again.

I took out the igniter and cleaned it off, but while doing this
noticed that the mesh above the burner looked to be in pretty bad
shape. Could this be causing the problem?

ransley January 4th 09 10:00 AM

water heater problem

On Jan 4, 12:42*am, daniel-matt wrote:
Hello, need some suggestions if anyone is willing:

A.O. Smith water heater, not more than 3-5 years old. Diagnostic LED's
saying "System Lockout" which manual says is:

1. Gas supply is off or too low to operate.
2. Hot surface igniter not positioned
correctly.
3. Low voltage to the water heater.
4. Electric polarity to unit is incorrect - test

The blower kicks on, igniter glows, gas kicks in, burner lights for a
second then goes out and repeat 3x until it locks out again.

I took out the igniter and cleaned it off, but while doing this
noticed that the mesh above the burner looked to be in pretty bad
shape. *Could this be causing the problem?

I had an issue with AO smith condensing controls, it was a bad
connection somewhere locking it out, I just cleaned and tightened all
wires.

daniel-matt January 4th 09 07:27 PM

water heater problem

I don't think its the gas, the furnace is working fine...

I cleaned up the HSI and sensor, vacuumed out the exhaust and such,
and cleaned up electrical contacts and it seems to have taken care of
it...we'll see. thanks for the input