Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

replying to John Galbreath Jr., RodCarewPDX wrote:
I had the same issue when getting my pilot lit after being off for the past
Spring+Summer. John, thank you for the troubleshooting tip. It worked great
and I was able to find a short at the switch, cut back the wire and re-attach
a clean connections.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to funkdys, Chris f. wrote:
If you have an "automatic pilot system" meaning when you flip the switch the
pilot light comes on, unlike a standing pilot light which is always on. Now
you flip the switch the pilot light comes on but then nothing happens. You
wait and wait and the fire does not come on??? OK, remove the bottom access
panel, with a flashlight look inside. Find the battery pack that should be
laying next to the modules. Replace the batteries, clean the contacts if
necessary. Solved our problem, hopefully yours too, such an easy fix

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

My recent problem is pilot light is lit but when I turn on the switch to light up fireplace it doesn't light up. So, I used a paper clip to jump it at the connections and after a while it lit up. So I conect the wires back and it is now working like it's supposed to. My question is, what is the problem, why didn't it turn on at first before jumping? Is it a possible bad wire or gas valve. Remember I thought it was the wire..but when I reconnected everything back and turn the switch on it worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, I am totally confused. Pilot is lit and has been for 10months. I flip the wall switch and nothing. I remove the wall switch and touch the wires and still nothing. So I jump at gas valve connection with paper clip and fire place lights up. I remove clip fires goes off. I reconnect the wires back and flip the switch to fire place ans it lights up. Fire place still working off the switch so what caused it to not turn on at first, why did it turn when jumped? Anybody have a clue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it necessary to hold Ignitor when pilot is lit? So why the switch? Air may be the corprit. Orfice are clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren, I appreciate your response. Thanks.
So you are saying thecthat even though the pilot is on. hold Ignitor down for a little while then flip the switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas was never connected.I think you are correct..it hesitates to turn on due to air. Ok, I will start a new tread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just went through this today. Turns out the gas line to the pilot flame was blocked. There was an orifice on the end of the line near the thermocouple that was corroded and blocked. Cleaning this up so proper amount of gas could flow and provide proper pilot flames fixed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks...it is working now. Last year I had the same problem. I need to find out how air is getting into the system. The people at the house have not had any reason why this is happening. Last year it did the same it hesitated to light up. Last year I replaced the switch. This year I had to jump it at the valve connections. Once it lit I removed jump wires and connected back all wires. I then flipped switch and it worked..the only thing I can say is somehow air got into system. I got repair any thing cause it is working now. I will inquire with gas company about what is causing this. Thanks all for your input. I just want to flip switch and fireplace to turn on with out hesitation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to funkdys, Chris f. wrote:
EASY FIX! - Maybe, moved into our 10 yr old house 2 yrs ago. Our Heatolator
always had issues lighting, flipping the switch many times before lighting.
Had a guy come out last yr who charged $100 to clean everything, worked a
little better for a week or so then back to same old problem..recently I
started poking around under bottom where components are located with a
flashlight I spotted wire leading off to what turned out to be a battery PAC
with 2 D cells in it.. they were very corroded. I remove the two batteries
clean the connections put two fresh batteries in and Wala the fireplace starts
up every time on the first throw out the switch. This would be for gas
fireplaces with an automatic pilot light meaning that you do not have to get
down and light the pilot light yourself it is controlled by the wall switch.
I assume these batteries have something to do with the electronic ignition,
either way it's fixed my problem. Nobody anywhere ever mentions this when
talking about fixing these fireplaces

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 7:34:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello all -

Our fireplace has been working fine then last night when I turned the knob off like normal I went too far and the pilot light went out. Went to restart it and the pilot will light but as soon as I go to allow flow of gas to the logs it goes out and cuts off. We just had it served and cleaned so I don't think it is dirty or blocked in any way. Tried turning the gas on to the logs and lighting it with a match and nothing, almost as if the logs are not getting any gas. Any suggestions. I hate to call the service guy that just told me everything was fine. Thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guys, I'm have a similar issue. Ventless Real-Fyre G9-2 unit with wall mounted remote. Pilot stays on and I can manually turn the FP on with the on turn knob on the unit but remote box will not work. I bypassed the wall connection with a brand new sky-tech remote box and connected directly to the TP TH / TH connectors but when I move the Skytech box to the on position it still does not ignite. So I bypassed the wires in the wall thinking maybe mice and connected directly to unit with new remote box but nothing. Again, manual operations work fine. I'm stumped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Similar problem. Pilot is lit and the switch which has on / off / remote works for a while, then I can not turn it on with the switch or remote.

I had to replace the previous switch a because I could almost never get it to work. The connector on the new switch did not match the old one so I had to splice the wire from the fireplace to the new receiver together. When it is not working and I switch it from OFF to ON and it does not light, if I disconnect one of the splices and then reconnect it lights no problem. Also, I can touch the two wires from the fire place together and it lights no problem every time so I am pretty sure it is not anything from the wire back. Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The pilot light stays lit but no flame. I just replaced the thermopile and still have the same problem. I did as you suggested and jumped the TH & TH-TP with a paper clip, I did not get a flame, please advise, thanks

On Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 7:49:09 AM UTC-5, Tom Lachance wrote:
wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

First of all, need to know what kind of "fireplace" it is:
1. Direct vent or natural vent
2. Free standing, zero clearance or masonry insert
3. Vented or unvented gas log.
4. ODS or thermocouple/thermopile
The above combinations can be used in a number of ways.

Thermocouple/thermopile assemblies have 2 separate circuits powered by
the their respective devices.
Thermocouple = 20 millivolts (+/-)
Thermopile = 750 millivolts (+/-)
If the pilot lights and stays lit, the problem isn't with the pilot circuit.
If the main burner doesn't light, the problem is in the main burner circuit.
Some units have more than 1 switch controlling them.
The supplied switches on the units are notoriously unreliable.
The gas valve generally has connections for the main burner labeled TH,
TP, and TH/TP. The main burner is operated by a switch that makes a
circuit between the TH and TH/TP connections.
Is there a remote installed on the fireplace? If so, there is usually a
switch on it labeled on/remote/ off. If you move the switch to on and
the main burner lights, check the batteries in both the remote and the
receiver. If it doesn't light, check the other switches/controls
connected to the above connections.

The above procedure assumes the control valve is in the "ON" position
and not in "PILOT".

Posted to alt.home.repair

It could a lose connection or bad wire. My fireplace was coming on intermittently. So I went to look at the wiring and lifted one of the wires and it came right on. So I knew that the wire was either bad or it was lose connection. It turned out being a lose connect . Works great now. So anyway check your wiring fist make sure everything is connected and not lose. It can be as simple as that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 7:47:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
It could a lose connection or bad wire. My fireplace was coming on intermittently. So I went to look at the wiring and lifted one of the wires and it came right on. So I knew that the wire was either bad or it was lose connection. It turned out being a lose connect . Works great now. So anyway check your wiring fist make sure everything is connected and not lose. It can be as simple as that.

HELP PLEASE!

I have a Heatmaster Vent-Free Gas Log set. It is operated manually (no wall/remote switch) I can get the Pilot to light and stay lighted but when I turn the valve to "ON" the burner does not light. I have cleaned the double burner and pilot area with compressed air. What can I do next?? Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:50:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 7:47:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
It could a lose connection or bad wire. My fireplace was coming on intermittently. So I went to look at the wiring and lifted one of the wires and it came right on. So I knew that the wire was either bad or it was lose connection. It turned out being a lose connect . Works great now. So anyway check your wiring fist make sure everything is connected and not lose. It can be as simple as that.

HELP PLEASE!

I have a Heatmaster Vent-Free Gas Log set. It is operated manually (no wall/remote switch) I can get the Pilot to light and stay lighted but when I turn the valve to "ON" the burner does not light. I have cleaned the double burner and pilot area with compressed air. What can I do next?? Thanks for any suggestions.

Most gas appliances that rely on a pilot light have a thermocouple that's
in the pilot flame and connected to the gas valve. The thermocouple, when
hot, generates a small electric current that the gas valve needs to open
to supply gas to the burners.The reasons why are obvious. Probably a
bad thermocouple, it's a common failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BobinDurham, Lorna wrote:
Thanks so much for your tip. I sprayed the compressed air all around with no
success. Only when I put the straw into the hole beside the pilot light did
the fireplace light. I was just about to call service. Lorna

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 8:44:07 PM UTC-5, Lorna wrote:
replying to BobinDurham, Lorna wrote:
Thanks so much for your tip. I sprayed the compressed air all around with no
success. Only when I put the straw into the hole beside the pilot light did
the fireplace light. I was just about to call service. Lorna

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-349828-.htm

Another satisfied customer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thx....this helped me and got mine going!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, FlyFishingUte wrote:
Same issue - need help. The paper clip method did not work on my situation.
The TP to TP/TH measurement off is 292, and on is 122. Took a brush to the
thermopile to clean the soot off

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to funkdys, Jim wrote:
There's a safety switch underneath the glass that has to be depressed for the
gas to go on.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BobinDurham, jwdeardorff wrote:
Ha! F-14 in zone 5.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello folks,

I, too, had an issue with the wall thermostat intermittently operating the thermopile powered gas log set. The 18 gauge thermostat wire run is about 25' which is a long run for a 750mV thermopile. I replaced thermopile and it did fine for a while. Checked various sites for TESTING with a 1.5volt battery and the valve opened every single time. DO NOT leave it hooked up like that as all safety devices are defeated. Got me thinking about hooking up batteries in series doubling voltage, could it work with thermopiles? I gave it a shot and hooked two 750mV thermopiles in series and stacked them in pilot flame until my multimeter gave highest voltage. Works like a champ!! I have 1300mV idle and it drops down to an acceptable 700mV when gas valve opened loading the electrical system. Keep in mind that this does not affect safety in that should the flame go out the pilot thermocouple and the main gas valve thermopile voltage will drop to zero and the valve will not open. Just sharing what worked for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 6:34:23 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

I DIDN'T READ THROUGH ALL OF THE POSTS BUT WANTED TO SHARE THAT AFTER CLEANING EVERYTHING AND GETTING NO START-- I TACKLED THE WALL SWITCH-- THAT DID THE TRICK!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Lorna, Mike wrote:
Make sure that the knob on the bottom is switched to €œOn€ if the pilot
light is working. The €œOn€ portion of the knob should be at the bottom.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-349828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is the problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 12:06:46 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

What is the problem

The subject line suggests the gas fireplace won't start. What do you
think? Any idea as to the problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did this as well. The battery gave the little extra MV boost and mine started working great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 9:04:23 PM UTC-3:30, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

I am experiencing a similar problem with my Majestic gas fireplace.
I have checked all the recommended voltages and they are all within spec.
My problem is intermittent.
Pilot is lit and bright, but no flame when the thermostadt is on.
Normally I here a small click from the fireplace when the thermostadt is turned up, but nothing when it does not light.
Also, for some reason, pushing and holding the ignighter in for several seconds often turns the flame on ??
And shorting the terminals with a paper clip also turns it on.
I have read that resistance can build up within the system but I'm unsure if that means in the wiring and thermostadt or the gas line ?
Any Ideas??
Thanks
Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary Bennett writes:
On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 9:04:23 PM UTC-3:30, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

Replace your thermocouple/thermopile. If it's bad, the pilot won't generate
enough juice to open the gas valve.