DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/267297-can-anyone-explain-lawn-tractor-tire-sizes.html)

[email protected] December 22nd 08 03:35 AM

Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Thanks

Rose[_5_] December 22nd 08 03:44 AM

Try this http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1719869

DerbyDad03 December 22nd 08 05:53 PM

On Dec 21, 10:35*pm, wrote:
For example: *20x10-8. *What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? *Thanks

Got a flat? Have a tube put in. Cheaper than a new tire.

[email protected] December 22nd 08 09:59 PM

On Dec 22, 12:53*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 21, 10:35*pm, wrote:

For example: *20x10-8. *What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? *Thanks

Got a flat? Have a tube put in. Cheaper than a new tire.

No I wanted to use these snow tires on my tractor when I have the plow
on. The normal rear tires are 20x10-8 but the snow tires I want only
come in 18x6.5-8. If the size is not too drastically different I
could get a narrower wheel. I was not going to dismount the snow
tires every season so I was planning on buying a used set of wheels
anyway.

E Z Peaces December 22nd 08 10:03 PM

On Dec 21, 10:35 pm, wrote:

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Thanks

Got a flat? Have a tube put in. Cheaper than a new tire.

No I wanted to use these snow tires on my tractor when I have the plow
on. The normal rear tires are 20x10-8 but the snow tires I want only
come in 18x6.5-8. If the size is not too drastically different I
could get a narrower wheel. I was not going to dismount the snow
tires every season so I was planning on buying a used set of wheels
anyway.

Peerless makes chains for 20x10x8.

ChrisCoaster December 22nd 08 11:47 PM

On Dec 21, 10:35*pm, wrote:
For example: *20x10-8. *What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? *Thanks

______________________
Basically, that's how ALL tires - for automobiles, trucks, and
tractors - had their size indicated, long before the present globally
used metric system (P-400/50R8 might closely express that tractor tire
size in metric). A passenger tire might be P-215/65R-16. Light
Truck: LT-235/70-R17.

It seems that tractors have hung on to the old designation system.

-CC

[email protected] December 23rd 08 02:58 AM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:35:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Thanks

20 inch outside diameter, 10 inches wide, on an 8 inch rim.

[email protected] December 23rd 08 02:59 AM

Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:23:10 -0800 (PST), buffalobill
wrote:

On Dec 21, 10:35Â*pm, wrote:
For example: Â*20x10-8. Â*What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Â*Thanks

the same size.
see also similar previously answered question from january 2007 at:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...c6fbc14097d630
further tire info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire

A tire that is the same hight, but not as wide would be something
like 20X8 - 8
A taller tire could be 22X8 - 8

[email protected] December 23rd 08 03:00 AM

Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:53:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 21, 10:35Â*pm, wrote:
For example: Â*20x10-8. Â*What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Â*Thanks

Got a flat? Have a tube put in. Cheaper than a new tire.

Unless the tire is so rotten the tube would just ooze out through the
sidewall.

[email protected] December 23rd 08 06:42 PM

Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:37:28 -0500, Van Chocstraw

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:35:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Thanks

20 inch outside diameter, 10 inches wide, on an 8 inch rim.

I don't think you mean DIAMETER.
It's width.

I was talking about the pre-metric sizing. A 20X10 /8 lawn and garden
tire was 20 inches TALL, and 10 inches WIDE and fit a 8 ing diameter
rim. The sidewalls were roughly 6 inches high

In automotive P-Metric terms they would be something like a P250/60-8

[email protected] December 23rd 08 06:48 PM

Can anyone explain lawn tractor tire sizes

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:43:45 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

wrote:

For example: 20x10-8. What exactly do these numbers mean and do I
have to get the exact size that comes with my tractor or can I get a
tire that is not as wide? Thanks
20 inch outside diameter, 10 inches wide, on an 8 inch rim.

I don't think you mean DIAMETER.
It's width.

Never mind. I guess it's OD, screwy way to do it.

In racing that kind of sizing made it very easy to figure out final
gearing, and to set stagger for circle tracks.
In offroad vehicles it makes it very easy to calculate, again,
gearing, but also ground clearances.
You KNOW, just from the first number of the tire size what the running
diameter of the tire is - you have 25" tires on your race car and it
is running 6000 RPM down the straight in top gear. You want it to run
7000 RPM - what size tire do you need? You want a tire 6/7ths the size
of your current tire - or 25X6/7+ 21.45 inches.