Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper subplanel parameters.

Hi,

I'm remodeling my kitchen/hallway/powder room combination.

On the one hand, I just had a new 200amp service put in and a new
40circuit box installed and it's only half full. And it's also only
40ft away from the kitchen, on average.

But I still want a subpanel for the kitchen. My main rationale is
neatness, It's an old house and there are several generations of ad
hoc electrical improvements and I have literally tens of dead wires in
the walls that go nowhere, there are wires from the 30's, 60's and
80's, etc. It is especially messy around the new box. I would have to
have 10 or so more wires running all the way back to the box. So
please, don't talk me out of doing a subpanel, I'm committed to doing
it (I have additional reasons for doing it, too).

Here's what my kitchen will have:
1. A dual fuel range (requiring 30amps for the oven)
2. A heater/vent combination in the power room.
3. Possibly an underfloor heating mat
4. Microwave/convection oven/garbage disposal/toaster oven/tv/dvd/
outlets galore

Main question:
How many amps should I have going into the subpanel?

And then there is something I don't get: does the subpanel have it's
own main breaker or does it rely on the breaker that it comes off of
in the main panel?

Many thank in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

*A 50 amp sub-panel feed would suffice, but I would go with a 70 amp (#4
wire) to allow for future expansion. The breaker at the main panel is all
that is needed, but there is nothing wrong with having a main in your
sub-panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

70 a sub can go on #6