DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/265723-paint-protection-plywood-withstand-water-snow-etc.html)

David Combs November 27th 08 10:11 AM

paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc?

Our basement boiler-room (steam-heat, water-heater, other heater,
all gas) has, up high, a window looking out into a grate-covered
pit. (Grate at ground-level.)

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Problem: leaves (southern Westchester county) and then
snow, potentially 100% covering the grate, dangerously.

What to put over the grate to keep leaves and snow
away from it.

Used to have ugly office-chair rug-protector draped over
it. Recently the boss (of this house) tossed it out,
calling it UGLY. (Well, yes, it was -- but it added
safety.)

Happens that six months ago I (surrepticiously) retrieved from our garbage
some old half-inch pieces of plywood.

My idea is to use one of them to lay one of them across near-grate concrete-blocks,
to return the room to a "safe" condition.

To avoid instant UGLY!-judgement, maybe painting it dark-green
would help.

QUESTION: how to weatherproof it?

What kind of paint, primer, brands, number of coats,
etc?

THANKS!

David

Norminn November 27th 08 11:29 AM

David Combs wrote:

[...]

By covering the grate with plywood, are you not defeating the purpose of
the grate? Size and
location would help ..... does it have to be at ground level for foot
traffic or in driveway?

Jim Elbrecht November 27th 08 12:28 PM

On 27 Nov 2008 05:11:13 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

Our basement boiler-room (steam-heat, water-heater, other heater,
all gas) has, up high, a window looking out into a grate-covered
pit. (Grate at ground-level.)

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Right here- if it were me. . . I'd close the window, install a CO
detector. . . and if it indicates a problem I'd install a pvc
dedicated vent that only opened when the furnace called for air.

I've heard that there is some sort of energy thing going on where it
cost more to heat the great outdoors. I don't know for sure as I've
been trying to *seal* things up around here- not open them up.

-snip-
Happens that six months ago I (surrepticiously) retrieved from our garbage
some old half-inch pieces of plywood.

My idea is to use one of them to lay one of them across near-grate concrete-blocks,
to return the room to a "safe" condition.

And invite wood eating insects to live on the warm side of that board.
Do it right- do it once.

This is probably the most expensive way out- but at $60, it will
probably pay for itself in lost heat in a few years- not to mention
the safety & esthetics 'payback'.
http://www.myhvacparts.com/Catalogue...tion%20Kit.htm

Jim

Ed Pawlowski November 27th 08 12:41 PM

"David Combs" wrote in message

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Problem: leaves (southern Westchester county) and then
snow, potentially 100% covering the grate, dangerously.

What to put over the grate to keep leaves and snow
away from it.

Happens that six months ago I (surrepticiously) retrieved from our garbage
some old half-inch pieces of plywood.

Sounds like you are making a nice haven for rodents. Very thoughtful of you
as they like warm cozy places to live. .

I'd run a proper vent up the side of the building with a screened air intake
at least 48" above the ground. Not seeing your setup I can't give exact
methods, but you can replace a window pane and use PVC in periscope fashion,
or a through the wall vent that is commonly used for fresh air intakes.

Jim Elbrecht November 28th 08 12:47 PM

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On 27 Nov 2008 05:11:13 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

Our basement boiler-room (steam-heat, water-heater, other heater,
all gas) has, up high, a window looking out into a grate-covered
pit. (Grate at ground-level.)

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Right here- if it were me. . . I'd close the window, install a CO
detector. . . and if it indicates a problem I'd install a pvc
dedicated vent that only opened when the furnace called for air.

After sleeping on it, I'd like to correct that. If I had a CO leak,
I'd *fix* it before somebody died.

Jim

[email protected] November 28th 08 01:16 PM

On Nov 27, 7:41*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"David Combs" wrote in message

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Problem: leaves (southern Westchester county) and then
snow, potentially 100% covering the grate, dangerously.

What to put over the grate to keep leaves and snow
away from it.

Happens that six months ago I (surrepticiously) retrieved from our garbage
some old half-inch pieces of plywood.

Sounds like you are making a nice haven for rodents. *Very thoughtful of you
as they like warm cozy places to live. .

I'd run a proper vent up the side of the building with a screened air intake
at least 48" above the ground. *Not seeing your setup I can't give exact
methods, but you can replace a window pane and use PVC in periscope fashion,
or a through the wall vent that is commonly used for fresh air intakes.

I agree, Ed's suggestion is the professional - safe solution. Go
for it. Don't play around. I also suggest that you follow the
suggestion to add a CO alarm. I have three in my home. Yea, as a
teenager I once was caught by CO, I was OK but a few other people
ended up in the hospital. Nasty Sneaky stuff.

Phisherman[_2_] November 28th 08 02:02 PM

paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc?

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:47:11 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On 27 Nov 2008 05:11:13 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

Our basement boiler-room (steam-heat, water-heater, other heater,
all gas) has, up high, a window looking out into a grate-covered
pit. (Grate at ground-level.)

For safety from CO, we keep the window open a few inches,
always, allowing boiler-updraft to drag in fresh air.

Right here- if it were me. . . I'd close the window, install a CO
detector. . . and if it indicates a problem I'd install a pvc
dedicated vent that only opened when the furnace called for air.

After sleeping on it, I'd like to correct that. If I had a CO leak,
I'd *fix* it before somebody died.

Jim

You don't want any detectable CO, it is highly poisonous. Very low
levels are expected, nor is it practical to remove all CO, as carbon
dioxide and carbon monoxide are in equilibrium.

[email protected] November 28th 08 02:20 PM

paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc?

id put some rustoleum paint on it.. overkill, but good paint for
outdoors,its oilbase..

David Combs November 29th 08 11:43 PM

paint-protection for plywood, to withstand water, snow, etc?

In article ,
Norminn wrote:

By covering the grate with plywood, are you not defeating the purpose of
the grate? Size and
location would help ..... does it have to be at ground level for foot
traffic or in driveway?

Stupid of me to not have said that I would make a half Tee-Pee (sp?)
out of it, leaning it from the away-from-house-wall edge of the
grate up against the wall, a foot or two off the ground.

Sorry!

David