DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/265482-alternative-spray-foam-filling-gaps.html)

Patrick Maloney November 24th 08 09:05 AM

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the
bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet
that would not clean up easily.

tia, Patrick

John Grabowski November 24th 08 12:41 PM

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in message
6.8...
Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the
bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet
that would not clean up easily.

tia, Patrick

Duct seal is good for small openings.
http://www.rainbowtech.net/catalog.php?pid=4035&cat=1

EXT November 24th 08 03:48 PM

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in message
6.8...
Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the
bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet
that would not clean up easily.

Spray foam, does not really spray like paint, it comes out like a whipped
cream can. So it only goes where you want it more or less, unless you are
firing it all over. Sometimes it drips. To protect the carpet you lay down a
drop cloth, plastic sheet or newspapers and possibly mask the wall with the
same stuff taped on to protect finished areas.

Norminn November 24th 08 04:14 PM

EXT wrote:

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in message
6.8...

Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the
bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet
that would not clean up easily.

Spray foam, does not really spray like paint, it comes out like a
whipped cream can. So it only goes where you want it more or less,
unless you are firing it all over. Sometimes it drips. To protect the
carpet you lay down a drop cloth, plastic sheet or newspapers and
possibly mask the wall with the same stuff taped on to protect
finished areas.

Seems like caulk would be far simpler, taking care to shield the edge of
the carpet. "Backer rod", a foam
molded rope, is used to fill larger gaps and provide a bridge for the caulk.

Oren[_2_] November 24th 08 08:04 PM

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:14:49 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

EXT wrote:

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in message
6.8...

Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the
bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet
that would not clean up easily.

Spray foam, does not really spray like paint, it comes out like a
whipped cream can. So it only goes where you want it more or less,
unless you are firing it all over. Sometimes it drips. To protect the
carpet you lay down a drop cloth, plastic sheet or newspapers and
possibly mask the wall with the same stuff taped on to protect
finished areas.

Seems like caulk would be far simpler, taking care to shield the edge of
the carpet. "Backer rod", a foam
molded rope, is used to fill larger gaps and provide a bridge for the caulk.

Even pull back the carpet, if possible for a section of wall. Caulk it
and stretch the section of carpet back. MMV

Stormin Mormon November 24th 08 09:12 PM

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

Bubble wrap from items shipped through the mail. Can be had from Ebay
packages, or purchased at the office supplies store. Good insulator, and can
be cut to size with scissors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

SteveB November 25th 08 04:16 AM

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in message
6.8...
Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the
bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet
that would not clean up easily.

tia, Patrick

I have taken the point of a shim and shoved little pieces of insulation in
the cracks. I did this in large cracks at my cabin, because on matter how
careful you were with the foam, you would get some on something, and it
would always foam out, and the trimmed stuff looked horrible. But I would
try to leave a little space to caulk, so you have it weather tight and bug
proof.

Steve