Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220 hot tub wiring

Hey all,

I'm hooking up an old hot tub that I have been rebuilding - ( new
pump, heater, ect) I'm to the point that I want to take it "live"

so, I though I'd get some feed back on what I understand to be the
way to hook up my power.

I have: main panel in the house, a gfi breaker (spa pack) outside,
and the tub. Wires are copper 6 in flex conduit.

in the main panel- Black and Red to the breaker, white and bare to the
bus bars as appropriate.

in the spa pack from the house, Black and Red to the Top of the
breaker, white to the bus bar with the pig tail, bare to the other
bar. ( pig tail runs from bus bar to bottom of breaker)

in the spa pack to the tub , Black and red to bottom of the breaker,
white to the bottom of the breaker, bare to the bus bar that shares
the ground from the house.

in the tub, - its all labeled clearly there.

Thanks for your feedback

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 9:04*am, Zephyr wrote:
[...]

You only need one breaker and a disconnect/switch/etc located within a
certain distance from the spa so that it can be seen and used to cut
off the power if necessary. However, you can have the two breakers
if you want.

Also, since the SPA apparently needs a neutral and there must be some
120V load, the breaker needs to be the 240V type that include neutral
protection. There are GFCI that only handle 240V for applications
that don't also need 120V. If you use that type with a neutral it
will trip due to the current from any 120 load that goes back via the
neutral.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" wrote in message
[...]

It looks fine, just be sure your GFCI spa pack is located no closer than
five feet from the tub and within sight of the tub. You need a GFCI outlet
for general use located between 6 and 20 feet from the tub. Any metal
structures located within 5 feet of the tub that could become electrically
energized have to be bonded to the tub equipment with #8 solid copper

LED wiring. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 7 October 13th 07 08:41 AM
Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring Carl Home Repair 16 May 12th 06 04:28 PM
Wiring certificate and standards for household wiring D.M. Procida UK diy 5 March 10th 06 10:09 AM
Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 16th 05 04:13 AM
wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching chrisc UK diy 2 December 28th 04 08:11 PM