Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Diamon-Fusion worth the price?

I am about to replace a shower door unit. When the installer came out
to measure, he recommended that we get the glass treated with
something called Diamon-Fusion. He said it would make the glass easier
to clean and last longer.

I did a little checking and came up with the links below. The ads
claim that treated glass never needs cleaning, is 10 times stronger,
won't get dings (mostly for car windshields), etc. I didn't see a
claim for getting rid of belly-button lint, but I may have missed
that.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I never heard of it.

I don't know how much this will cost, but if it's this good, I would
think that the glass manufacturers would offer something like it
themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MyQTY6saY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GzwbxEuUbg

http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products/improves.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to Pepboys or any other auto parts store and buy a package of
Aquapel. It's a glass treatment for windshields but it also works on
shower doors--bonds with the glass. Much better than Rain-X

Retail price is around $12, but you'll probably need two to treat a
full shower door.

Or, do an internet search for it. It really is great stuffOn Fri, 14
Nov 2008 15:45:43 -0800, Square Peg wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:22:16 -0600, Rick-Meister
wrote:

Go to Pepboys or any other auto parts store and buy a package of
Aquapel. It's a glass treatment for windshields but it also works on
shower doors--bonds with the glass. Much better than Rain-X

Retail price is around $12, but you'll probably need two to treat a
full shower door.

Or, do an internet search for it. It really is great stuff

Do you use it? On your car windshield? On your shower door? How well
does it work? How long does it last (in each setting)?

The information I could find online suggested that on car windows, it
would last about 6 months on the windshield and a year everywhere
else. I couldn't find anything about durability on shower doors.

The other products, Diamon-Fusion and Tekon, both say not to use
anything other than water or special cleaning agents they sell. They
even recommend using special towels. Does Aquapel have any of these
restrictions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The shower door installer was just here. They offer two products:
Diamon-Fusion, which is applied after market, and Tekon, which is
applied in the factory. For both of them, we cannot use any of the
usual glass cleaners including Windex. He also said we should use
special towels.

I checked the Diamon-Fusion website:

http://www.diamonfusion.com/

It claims to make car windshields 10x harder or more resistant to
dings. I asked him if uses Diamon-Fusion on his car. He said he does.
I then asked him if he goes through car washes. He said yes. I then
asked him how the product can tolerate car wash detergents, not to
mention wind, sun, highway grit, and windshield wipers, but not
Windex? He couldn't answer that questions. He then said that the
windshield produict is a different product and costs a lot more. But
he had already said that he uses the same product on his car.

I couldn't find anything on the website about not using Windex.

He also said that I can get Tekon on the new shower doors applied at
the factory. I check the Tekon website:

http://www.tekon.com/index.php

This is even more confusing and cluttered than the Diamon-Fusion
website. They are selling dozens of products.

I didn't get any answers that I felt were credible.

This looks to me like a complicated, somewhat unreliable, and not
inexpensive solution to a relatively minor problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2008 11:24 AM Square Peg spake thus:

The other products, Diamon-Fusion and Tekon, both say not to use
anything other than water or special cleaning agents they sell. They
even recommend using special towels.

Sounds like marketing bull**** to me.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 2:41*pm, Square Peg wrote:
He also said that I can get Tekon on the new shower doors applied at
the factory. I check the Tekon website:

http://www.tekon.com/index.php

I didn't get any answers that I felt were credible.

This looks to me like a complicated, somewhat unreliable, and not
inexpensive solution to a relatively minor problem.

But... they say:
"Save Money!"

Then they say:
"Kit includes Glass Luster, Tekon B and Repellent Wash. Necessary
accessories included." Only $26.95

But... they say:
"Reduce Maintenance by at least 50 percent!"

Then they say:
"TekonTM recommends adding Empowered Daily to your purchase for daily
hygienic cleanups in bathroom. Just spray and wipe with a Tek
Cloth." $10.95

Consumers have certainly done their part keeping "the economy" going
by buying obvious crap like this.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ce-342154-.htm
DFI, Inc. wrote:

Square Peg wrote:

[...]

Hello,

I am a representative from Diamon-Fusion International. Sorry for the late response, we just learned of this site and the postings here so I hope it’s ok if I answer some of the what seems like are the most confusing points when comparing coatings.

-Diamon-Fusion® is a low-maintenance, not a no-maintenance coating for silica-based surfaces (glass, ceramic, porcelain, tile, granite, and quartz). Using most brand name window cleaners on the market to clean DFI treated glass is harmful because they are acidic and harsh. Diamon-Fusion® is easily cleaned with just mild soap and water, so harsh chemicals are never needed. Nothing lasts forever, so claims of “it never needs reapplication, top ups, revitalizers, or any mandated products to keep it working” need to be very carefully considered.

-Diamon-Fusion® is a patented product. In a sea of questionable claims about what products can do, a patent is the rock you can rely on to make sure the technology is real. Our patent number is 6,245,387 — check the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website (www.uspto.gov) for more information.

-Diamon-Fusion® is typically professionally applied and therefore is not generally available to the public through retail outlets. We’ve been working really hard to change that though, so look for our do-it-yourself product in the near future at major home centers! In the meantime, however, we do offer a kit with the D-I-Y, non-patented coating that’s lower cost and you can get directly from us, or from authorized applicators in your area. Give us a call toll-free at 888-344-4DFI(334) to find one near you.

-Diamon-Fusion®‘s major benefit provided for homeowners is through its water repellency; it resists hard water stains, soap scum build up, mold, mildew, bacteria, mineral deposits and leaching, and the coating also helps resist scratches. Additionally, there’s an up to twenty percent increase in the brilliance of glass, helping to beautify those surfaces and therefore your home. Independent testing has also proven that Diamon-Fusion® helps make glass up to ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. It’s completely optically clear and the coating is guaranteed to never haze, yellow, crack, or peel.

-Diamon-Fusion®‘s warranty is very clearly defined: If the basic maintenance instructions have been followed, and the contact angle of your treated architectural glass ever falls below 11-degrees, we’ll honor the warranty. No questions, guesses, or opinions… just clear, measurable, and defined. Our basic maintenance is simply this: Never use any harsh or abrasive chemicals or cleaning implements, and do an easy, just wipe-it-down, weekly cleaning which you’re likely doing anyway. Other warranties lack definition; how is “easy to clean” defined? Who is the final arbiter of whether the surfaces are truly “easy to clean”? If you disagree, how is it measured? Our answers are clear and simple.

-Diamon-Fusion® products are easily Revitalized. We support our product and give you tools you can use to make maintenance even easier by having additional products that are uncomplicated to use, inexpensive, and easy to obtain. If you ever do happen to seriously neglect your treated surfaces, they’ll help you bring them back to “like new” condition, should you need to.

Hopefully this response has helped give you more information about our product. We’d love to talk to you about these benefits and others, and invite you to visit our website (www.diamonfusion.com), or better yet—give us a call. Please contact us soon and let us do our best to share with you how to clean less and make your life easier!

Thanks to everyone for your input, and we hope to have you as a Diamon-Fusion® customer in the near future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Square Peg, Ian Bailey wrote:
Diamond Fusion coating. Does not work as advertised. Don't waste your money.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/93

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Square Peg, James wrote:
nah i used nanoglass and its the best iv got yet....
https://surfaceprotection.co.nz/coll...til-31-01-2018

i got a big bottle and it went a long way... cost per shower was probly about
$12?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DFI, Inc., Jimmy wrote:
Your full of crap. i reluctantly tried it once and it was the biggest waste of
money ever. stop deceiving people with your sales pitch

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Square Peg, Mia Shower Doors - Raleigh NC wrote:
We are a company that specializes in custom frameless shower enclosures. I
know there is a lot of conflicting information out there, so hopefully this
will help someone in the decision making process. :-)

No - You will not need any special cleaning agents to care for your shower
glass treated with Diamon Fusion. All you really need is water and a squeegee
or any kind of towel to dry the glass. A couple of cleaning products that
will not damage the sealed surface includude Sprayway glass cleaner (ammonia
free) available from most stores for just $2.50/ can or a diluted vinegar/
water solution. No need to buy any expensive proprietary cleaners. Simply
avoid a few bad ingredients like ammonia, bleach and abrasive cleaners. And
yes, DF is worth it's weight in gold! We have seen it in action over the
years and know that without a doubt this is the*_ best_* product on the market
for shower glass.
That is not to say that other available products are not good because there
are some great ones out there. Hence you have Good / Better / Best options.
It all depends on which product your shower door / glass company offers and
how much time & effort you want to put into the process yourself. Each of
these products have a specific expected life span and depending on your
intentions with your home it may or may not be the right solution for your
situation. We have seen showers in near perfect condition where the homeowner
used RainX...now they had to re-apply it once every 3 weeks to keep it
protected. So do the math on an hour of your time and money spent on that
over the years and see what makes sense for your lifestyle. If you don't want
to spend the money on Diamon Fusion, then I would recommend getting a product
geared towards shower doors that will last a minimum of 3-5 years because that
is more realistic and manageable for most people. These can be professionally
applied but some are also available as a DYI products. The risk with DYI is
that you need to make sure you are applying the right amount of product for
your square feet of glass to cover it using the proper technique to get the
job done right. Remember - shower glass is different from a windshield. You
are not only battling water spots and mineral deposits, but we need to protect
for chemical/ soaps and body oils as well. This is why getting a specific
shower door product is the best bet no matter what you buy.

You wouldn't buy a new car and not carry full coverage insurance would you?
The most important thing is to seal your glass one way or another to protect
your investment - otherwise it can be ruined in a very short amount of time
depending on your water quality.

P.S. Everything DFI states below is true and not marketing bs. This company
stands behind their product, but it really isn't necessary because it will
last a lifetime with very little maintenance. Yes, it is expensive but this
nano- technology didn't create itself and besides - everything is expensive!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jimmy, Joe Grayson wrote:
Hi Jimmy, I am a distributor for DFI for over 20 years. I was wondering if you
ever called to have to someone to look at your glass? There is a difference
when the product is applied from the factory as opposed at the shop or in the
field. That difference is when it is done locally the distributor can come out
and take care of it. Most, if not all problems occur is when cleaning is not
done properly. Since I am a distributor I can only tell you what I do. I
personally take care of any warranty issue that I have applied the treatment
to. Only charge for the cleaning not for reapplication. I can tell you that
every time I go out for a warranty issue it was from the lack of proper
cleaning. When comparing to glass that was not treated it takes about 6 times
longer to remove water spots compared to glass that was not treated. I would
stress that you contact the glass shop who sold you the treatment and give
them the opportunity to fix the problem.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to James, Asher wrote:
Thanks James - I followed your link and tried it myself - time will tell how
long it lasts but it was very cheap for what I got. It has been on our shower
for 1 month now and the water is still beading off perfectly. It would be
amazing if it lasts the 10 years like they reckon!
Asher

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2018 7:14 PM, Asher wrote:
replying to James, Asher wrote:
Thanks James - I followed your link and tried it myself - time will tell
how
long it lasts but it was very cheap for what I got. It has been on our
shower
for 1 month now and the water is still beading off perfectly.Â* It would be
amazing if it lasts the 10 years like they reckon!
Asher

This got me wondering how it would work for fogged plastic car
headlights after buffing them out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jimmy, Ebony wrote:
I agree

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe Grayson, KAYZ wrote:
I HAD FDI APPLIED TO MY NEW SHOWER DOORS .... IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY AT
ALL! I'M SORRY I WASTED MY MONEY

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DFI, Inc., Susan M wrote:
Thank you for helping us in clearing up all the confusion. Only one other
concern is we use a soft water system. Will this be damaging to the coating
of our shower doors and walls

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jimmy, Jacob wrote:
I spend the extra money to get the Diamon-Fusion on my shower door. They claim
to make €ścleaning easier and less frequent.€ť What they dont tell you up
front is that you are supposed to rinse and wipe the glass down after every
use. Yes, after every single shower. Who is really going to do that, and how
is that easier than using a regular shower or glass cleaner once in a while?
Total rip off. I cleaned mine regularly (not daily) and within a short period
of time my shower door had really ugly water spots on it. But dont worry,
for the low price of $32.95 you can get a restoration kit. Wish I would have
went without the Diamon-Fusion, as my previous regular shower door was easier
to maintain, looked much better, and was lower in price. Buying the
Diamon-Fusion is spending extra money to make things harder to solve a
non-existent problem. Dont buy!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2020 6:44 AM, Jacob wrote:
replying to Jimmy, Jacob wrote:
I spend the extra money to get the Diamon-Fusion on my shower door. They
claim
to make €ścleaning easier and less frequent.€ť What they dont tell you up
front is that you are supposed to rinse and wipe the glass down after every
use. Yes, after every single shower. Who is really going to do that, and
how
is that easier than using a regular shower or glass cleaner once in a
while?

I have a squeegee in the shower. Takes 20 seconds to get the drops off
and keep it clean. Never need cleaner that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jacob, Allison wrote:
When you have custom made shower doors for $2,000 you do use a squeegee after
each use, especially if you have hard water. I have had 4 shower doors made
in past 5 years, 3 with diamond fusion and its worth every penny (and not
expensive considering the custom made shower). My other shower door without
diamond fusion still has water stains that can not be removed. I would never
purchase an expensive shower door without it. Now if you are purchasing a
cheaper pre made shower door at a store, it likely wont last that long
anyways and might not be worth the money.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Allison wrote:
Same here and my 3 Diamond Fusion shower doors ere $2,000/each, so the extra
small amount for the Diamond Fusion is worth every penny. Family members and
visitors are shocked when I tell them how old some of the doors are and how
they still look brand new. One is brand new and I have used the same local
professional glass company for years. They aren't pushy about the Diamond
Fusion but highly recommend it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ian Bailey, Allison wrote:
Not sure how you cared for them or perhaps installation company messed upo. I
would have them come out and look at it as mine always have looked brand new.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe Grayson, tappinaway wrote:
Joe, can you please advice me what the "proper cleaning" is? We squeegee
after every shower. Is that sufficient?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-342154-.htm