DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HELP Whirlpool water heater malfunction (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/264410-help-whirlpool-water-heater-malfunction.html)

Zz Yzx November 9th 08 01:22 AM

HELP Whirlpool water heater malfunction

Hi all;

I installed a new Whirlpool EnergySmart water heater some months ago.
It's worked very well since, until now.

Just today, it quit making hot water. The "Status Light Code"
indicates "Upper Sensor Failure" (six flashes). I can turn it off,
wait 10 mins, then re-light the pilot and it works fine for a bit,
then reverts to the failure mode.

The diagnostics on the website aren't particularly helpful... .saying
to "replace the control board."

Q's:

1. What is the "upper sensor", has it really failed, and can I
replace it myself?

2. Is the "control board" part of the front unit with the knobs, etc?
Can I replace that myself?

3. ANy advice, magic fixes?

Thanks a heap, in advance, from me and the family which is bitching me
out bigtime because we don;t have hot water.

-Zz

RBM[_2_] November 9th 08 01:35 AM

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
[...]

I've never seen one, but some high tech heating systems use thermisters to
register temperature to a logic board. I'm assuming it's sensing temperature
at the top of the tank. If you have a manual, it may show you where it is.
It may have become dislodged from it's mount

Bob F December 20th 08 10:15 PM

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
[...]

If it's only months old, doesn't it have a warrantee?