Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor water spicket repair

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/8/2008 2:39 PM dpb said the following:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

...or spigot, in the US.

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

Dontcha just hate it when that happens?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

..or spigot, in the US.

Yeah, I just saw the typo, too...

At least I only did it once...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

--

Try "spigot", I don't know what a "sigot" is.
I've repaired or replaced many a spigot. The

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 2:38�pm, "Tim" wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. �had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

is it leaking around the stem? the metal shaft.........

if so just tighten the packing nut, it will end the leak around the
shaft

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

--

Try "spigot", I don't know what a "sigot" is.
I've repaired or replaced many a spigot. The
dumbest thing I've seen is when someone leaves
a hose connected to a freeze proof outdoor spigot
or faucet in winter weather.

TDD

No, the dumbest thing is when the neighbor leaves a frozen open-ended
hose attached, the wife turns the spigot on full and then walks away
when no water comes out.

Guess what happened during a January thaw while they were away for the
weekend?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of
the spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the
entire spicket. �had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have
the stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you
will get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR- Hide quoted text -

not if itsd soldered on at the walls surface.

locally the valves were soldered out of wall, put in place then
soldered indoors.

those valves are easier repaired.

new washers, and a 5 buck seat grindinmg tool can repair the valves
good as new for 10 years, then you can do it again.

a good female friend was visiting and reported her outside valve was
leaking bad. at the stem. the water ran indoors along the wall and
close to the main service breakerr cabinet.

my valve happened to be loeaking at the stem so I showed her how to
tighten the packing nut.

she went home and asked to borrow her hubbys wrench, he got mad and
claimed she would break valve.

1/.4 turn later the leak stopped he had nothing to say

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

--

Try "spigot", I don't know what a "sigot" is.
I've repaired or replaced many a spigot. The
dumbest thing I've seen is when someone leaves
a hose connected to a freeze proof outdoor spigot
or faucet in winter weather.

TDD

No, the dumbest thing is when the neighbor leaves a frozen open-ended
hose attached, the wife turns the spigot on full and then walks away
when no water comes out.

Guess what happened during a January thaw while they were away for the
weekend?

Almost as dumb, when they leave the hose connected,
they usually leave the faucet on and the hose nozzle
turned off. This allows the water to freeze all the
way back inside the wall and burst the valve inside
the basement or crawl space. Here's what I'm referring
to:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...480863,00.html

The valve seat is actually on the other side of the wall.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 13:39:22 -0600, dpb wrote:

Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

Pronounced sI-gO :-)

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of

the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

You can probably rebuild the hose bib and stop the leak for a while, but
what I like to do is retire the damn things and replace them with ball
valves. One quarter of a turn to full on and no leaks, no washers to futz
with.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's a "sigot"? I did a dictionary search on that. Kept trying to
substitute "spigot".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've replaced faucet washers for outdoor spigots. Never heard of a packing
nut being factory done, and can't change it later. May I suggest shut off
the water, pull the packing nut, and see if the faucet washer is damaged.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tim" wrote in message
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mexican isn't a race, so "spicket" is ethnic, but not racial.

You could learn Spanish so you can spick to the spic, who is spiket
repairing. Would he, then, be spicketing? If the job isn't going well, he
can tell you to spicket in your, well, bodily orifice left unnamed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 12:38:21 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of
the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

What the hell is a spicket?
Is this a racist statement or a PICKET fence with a "s" in front to
indicate a dollar sign?