DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   240 to 120 outlet adapterr box (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/264383-240-120-outlet-adapterr-box.html)

[email protected] November 8th 08 03:37 PM

240 to 120 outlet adapterr box

Have OCCASIONAL need for power, 120 volts from a 240 volt outlet, for
the holidays only.

thinking of making up a adapter box, 240 volt plug on short wire, not
using one leg inside the box, putting a 15 amp inline fuse inside the
adapter box and a standard duplex outlet in a work box.

seems like a simple solution, I would rather not run a new line, its a
seasonal issue only and would be a bear runninmg a line in this area

Kevin Ricks November 8th 08 04:01 PM

wrote:
Have OCCASIONAL need for power, 120 volts from a 240 volt outlet, for
the holidays only.

thinking of making up a adapter box, 240 volt plug on short wire, not
using one leg inside the box, putting a 15 amp inline fuse inside the
adapter box and a standard duplex outlet in a work box.

seems like a simple solution, I would rather not run a new line, its a
seasonal issue only and would be a bear runninmg a line in this area

Will work IF your 240V box has the neutral (4 wires).

If not then the only way would be to temporarily rewire the circuit at
the panel using a 15 or 20A breaker. Move the other leg to neutral. and
change out the 240V outlet to a 120V outlet.
Kevin

Tony Hwang November 8th 08 04:03 PM

wrote:
Have OCCASIONAL need for power, 120 volts from a 240 volt outlet, for
the holidays only.

thinking of making up a adapter box, 240 volt plug on short wire, not
using one leg inside the box, putting a 15 amp inline fuse inside the
adapter box and a standard duplex outlet in a work box.

seems like a simple solution, I would rather not run a new line, its a
seasonal issue only and would be a bear runninmg a line in this area

Hi,
I don't know what your Wattage requirement is. You can get a bi-way
step up/down transformer for less than 20.00 on eBay. I got one for
16.00 and it works very well.

Stormin Mormon November 9th 08 01:22 AM

240 to 120 outlet adapterr box

The first rule for projects like this, is not to tell anyone.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

SAm E November 9th 08 04:12 PM

240 to 120 outlet adapterr box

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:22:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The first rule for projects like this, is not to tell anyone.

Your improperly-made posts are hard to read. You already know about
your failure to mark quoted material, and posting the sig in the wrong
place.

PLONK

Stormin Mormon November 10th 08 12:44 AM

240 to 120 outlet adapterr box

The world has 6 billion people. Untold millions of computers. And you write
to tell me that my posts aren't going to appear on one computer, in one
home, in front of one guy who doesn't like me. Somehow, I can't get very
concerned about that bit of information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus