Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie Garage Door Opner

The two light bulbs in the overhead console of the Genie Garage Door Opener
no longer come on when I open or close the garage door. I have replaced both
bulbs but that did not solve the problem. Any idea why they won`t come on.
Have considered calling the local Genie Repair Man but my neighbor said that
it was cheaper to buy a new one then fix the problem in this one (?) Any
advise you have would be appreciated.
thanks, Monika

Posted to alt.home.repair

Purpledawn wrote:
The two light bulbs in the overhead console of the Genie Garage Door Opener
no longer come on when I open or close the garage door. I have replaced both
bulbs but that did not solve the problem. Any idea why they won`t come on.
Have considered calling the local Genie Repair Man but my neighbor said that
it was cheaper to buy a new one then fix the problem in this one (?) Any
advise you have would be appreciated.
thanks, Monika

Use incandescent bulbs I can't get CF bulbs to work in my Genie because
the base of the CFL is oo fat for the fixture socket.

Operate the door and then measure the sockets with a volt meter. If you
get power then you might try to bend the contact point up in the center
of the sockets.

If no voltage then take the cover off of the opener box and follow the
lighting wires. Make sure the connector is not come loose from the main
circuit board.

Not much more you can do yourself. I have replaced the main circuit
board in mine for another problem wasn't too hard. Gene sent it to me
free under warranty.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Purpledawn wrote:
The two light bulbs in the overhead console of the Genie Garage Door Opener
no longer come on when I open or close the garage door. I have replaced both
bulbs but that did not solve the problem. Any idea why they won`t come on.
Have considered calling the local Genie Repair Man but my neighbor said that
it was cheaper to buy a new one then fix the problem in this one (?) Any
advise you have would be appreciated.
thanks, Monika

Hi,
Relay. Could be mechanical or solid state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Purpledawn wrote:

The two light bulbs in the overhead console of the Genie Garage Door Opener
no longer come on when I open or close the garage door. I have replaced both
bulbs but that did not solve the problem. Any idea why they won`t come on.
Have considered calling the local Genie Repair Man but my neighbor said that
it was cheaper to buy a new one then fix the problem in this one (?)

First of all, don't work on the opener without first unplugging it or
turning off its circuit breaker because it can easily start
unexpectedly and grab a finger or sleeve and cause amputation,
scalping, or choking. If you open the overhead unit, beware of the
exposed high voltage that can kill, so stand only on an insulated
ladder or chair not a metal one.

The problem is likely with the relay (4 connections to circuit board;
may be identical to the 2 motor relays) or bimetal thermal-time switch
(2 connections) that drives the lightbulbs, but don't overlook
corroded or loose connections and cracked solder joints (cracks can be
so fine to be invisible except under strong light and magnification).
The relay is in a plastic cube and is a standard part (most likely, 12
volt DC coil) available from electronics supplies, such as Newark,
MCM, Allied, Mouser, or Jameco. Bimetal thermal-time switches appear
to be harder to find in the right size. To clean the contacts of
either device, soak some thick paper (3x5 card, business card) in
alcohol or contact cleaner and pinch it between the contacts and move
it back and forth. Don't use sandpaper or a file on the contacts.