DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing bath tub, have space for a wider tub, do they come in odddimensions? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/264313-replacing-bath-tub-have-space-wider-tub-do-they-come-odddimensions.html)

[email protected] November 7th 08 03:07 PM

Replacing bath tub, have space for a wider tub, do they come in odddimensions?

Hi,
I want to replace my tub, it's 59 inches long and 29.5 wide which I
think is standard. The bathroom has room for a much wider tub, up to
57 inches but no space to make it longer. Are tubs and possibly hot
tubs made to odd dimenstions? There's no budget to have a tub custom
made but I'd like to use the space and get a bigger tub.

Ken[_6_] November 7th 08 03:18 PM

wrote:
Hi,
I want to replace my tub, it's 59 inches long and 29.5 wide which I
think is standard. The bathroom has room for a much wider tub, up to
57 inches but no space to make it longer. Are tubs and possibly hot
tubs made to odd dimenstions? There's no budget to have a tub custom
made but I'd like to use the space and get a bigger tub.

You might explore if there will be a need to reinforce the floor
beneath the extended dimensions of the tub. If my recollection is
correct, the floor joists under tubs are closer together than those
elsewhere.

DerbyDad03 November 7th 08 07:52 PM

On Nov 7, 10:07*am, wrote:
Hi,
I want to replace my tub, it's 59 inches long and 29.5 wide which I
think is standard. The bathroom has room for a much wider tub, up to
57 inches but no space to make it longer. Are tubs and possibly hot
tubs made to odd dimenstions? There's no budget to have a tub custom
made but I'd like to use the space and get a bigger tub.

Look here for bath-only tubs:

http://www.dougstubs.com/Bathroom/__...nd_under).aspx

40" - 43" widths seem pretty common, 60" are also available.

Whirlpools come in various widths also.

Remember - a wider tub means more water...more water means more
weight...more weight might mean lots of water on the floor below. Ouch!