Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic Floor Tile In Bathroom

Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:31�pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

very bad idea, a real hack job.

run away from thius contractor.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:34*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Jack" Windswept@Home wrote in message

Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

no.

probably.

Not sure if it is standard practice but they've done it here.. The
old bathroom tiles were ugly but the installation was structurally
fine. The installer buffed (scrached?) the old tile surface to give
good grip to the thinset and then installed the new tiles over the old
ones. Cant tell the old ones are still there!

Also, me thinks that leaving a layer on the subloor adds strength to
the installation..

/cp
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 5:31*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

It depends on a few things as I understand it, the new tiles mortar
has to bond well meaning old tile has to be in solid shape and pourus
and clean which might mean roughening it with a diamond blade gouger
and acid washed, which he probably doesnt have that tool. And acid
etching or some kind of major cleaning can ruin other things. If
present tile has a hard shiney surface how will a new mortar bond to
it. I would also demand a long warranty like 10 years, which he wont
give. So it can be done but should it.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Jack" Windswept@Home wrote in message
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

no.

probably.

As long as the foundation is strong and in tact, and it's done properly,
it should be OK. Also consider the extra thickness it's adding to the
floor where it meets other floors; is that OK with you?

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
"Jack" Windswept@Home wrote in message
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

no.

probably.

I would suggest you weigh the cost of the tile you are about to install
against the possibility that it might not take. I would not take that
chance if it were me. Ceramic tile last for a long time if done right.
If done wrong, you could have a costly mistake.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:34:14 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

"Jack" Windswept@Home wrote in message
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

no.

probably.

I agree with that summation.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:31*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

We had two bathrooms done this way about six years ago.
They are in excellent condition today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:53:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 6, 6:31*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

We had two bathrooms done this way about six years ago.
They are in excellent condition today.

How about installing ceramin tile on top of vinyl tile?

Do-able?

Tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 6, 6:31*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

We had two bathrooms done this way about six years ago.
They are in excellent condition today.

How about installing ceramin tile on top of vinyl tile?

Do-able?

Tx- Hide quoted text -

Thats a never, no mortar can ever bond to plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 10:49*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:12*pm, wrote:

How about installing ceramin tile on top of vinyl tile?

Do-able?

Thats a never, no mortar can ever bond to plastic.

Mortar isn't the only tile adhesive.

Mastic should stick tile to just about any clean dry surface.
-----

-gpsman

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:31*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
Instead of tearing up the old ceramic tile on bathroom floor,
contractor wants to install new ceramic tile on top of the old tile.
I understand his reasoning: less labor and no need to dispose of old
tile.

1) Is this standard practice?

2) If not, will the job quality be impaired by installing new tile on
top of existing tile?

As always, thanks.

As others have said, it can and has been done.

However I agree with these 2 points even mo

1 - You might have a height problem after the installation of the new
tile.

2 - Not truly knowing the condition of the existing tile and what's
under it, I'd opt for starting fresh by removing the old and using
"modern materials".

My old bathroom floor had a 2 inch mortar base under the tiles. This
base began to crumble and the tiles began to loosen up. I hate to have
this happen under a newly tiled floor. I removed all the old tile and
mortar, beefed up the T&G sub-floor and laid plywood, tile-backer then
tile. I was able to bring the floor up to exactly the same height as
before, so it's flush with the threshold, etc. Oh yeah, as long as I
had the floor tore up, I replaced the galvanized pipe from my sink to
the main stack with PVC. It was a lot of work, but I sleep better
knowing exactly what is under my tile and that it will last a long,
long time.

If you want to save some labor costs (and don't want to remove the old
floor yourself) contact a local boy scout troop and see if they know
of an older scout who has some construction experience - like someone
who has a dad or uncle they've worked with. Pay him to come over and
remove the old floor - it'll be a lot cheaper than paying your
contractor to do the unskilled part of the job. I've seen some Eagle
Scout construction projects that were quite impressive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did it over old vinyl 7 years ago with no problem. I used mortar
mix to do it as well. Didn't have much choice the vinyl wasn't coming
up. And you don't any vertical issues over vinyl...

I'd never do it over existing tile though. It's too easy (and fun) to
get old tile up. Seems a bit lazy to me...
====================

How about installing ceramin tile on top of vinyl tile?
Do-able?
Tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 9:50*pm, wrote:
I did it over old *vinyl 7 years ago * with no problem. I used mortar
mix to do it as well. Didn't have much choice the vinyl wasn't coming
up. And you don't any vertical issues over vinyl...

I'd never do it over existing tile though. It's too easy (and fun) to
get old tile up. Seems a bit lazy to me...
====================

How about installing ceramin tile on top of vinyl tile?
Do-able?
Tx

Seems a bit lazy to me

And that seems a bit harsh to me.

From a physical perspective, perhaps the OP is not capable of removing
the old tile. While I'll agree that it was somewhat fun, removing the
2" of mortar under my tile was not an easy job. Since the OP is having
a contractor lay the tile, maybe DIY stuff is not in his wheelhouse or
within his physical abilities. Nothing wrong with that.

From a cost perspective, removing the old floor may put the project
overbudget. If (see paragraph above) the OP has to pay a skilled
laborer to remove the old tile, that could be a big expense for a
menial job. That's why I suggested finding some cheaper labor to do
the destruction and pay the contractor for his skilled labor.