Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "leaking" hydraulic jack

I have a hydraulic jack that leaks - loses pressure/oil within a few
minutes.
The 'release' is a push in button, not a 'twist' screw, so I cannot
simply tighten it.
Is there anything I can do short of replacement? ---- paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Paul Oman wrote:
I have a hydraulic jack that leaks - loses pressure/oil within a few
minutes.
The 'release' is a push in button, not a 'twist' screw, so I cannot
simply tighten it.
Is there anything I can do short of replacement? ---- paul

Rebuild it, but if it's an inexpensive consumer-grade jack there are
likely no parts available and you're at the luck of the draw that the
internal o-rings, etc., are anything you can get from distributors.

Just went thru the problem w/ one here--no parts from the no-name
chiwanese maker; not standard-sized to fit w/ generically available.

Did take a larger diameter ring and "force-fit" it by pushing the handle
piston (where the leak was) through it--made a slightly rough cut but it
holds better than did before altho not perfect.

Problem is, if it's the actual pressure seal instead of just the handle
pump piston, even a little is too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, i have a cheap-o one also that has started to leak.

I could jack up autos for hours and no concern. Now I get a few minutes.
I guess it's a reminder that a jack is not a jack-stand, but many times it's
not easy to find a place to "lift" and the "hold" at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Kevin wrote:
Yeah, i have a cheap-o one also that has started to leak.

I could jack up autos for hours and no concern. Now I get a few minutes.
I guess it's a reminder that a jack is not a jack-stand, but many times it's
not easy to find a place to "lift" and the "hold" at the same time.

Easy or not, using only a jack while working w/o a stand or blocking is
a statistic waiting to happen...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Guess I live dangerous. With no stand or blocking, once used a jack, pipe
and chain to pull a stuck cap off a septic tank :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Nov 5, 1:43*pm, Paul Oman wrote:
I have a hydraulic jack that leaks - *loses pressure/oil within a few
minutes.
The 'release' is a push in button, not a 'twist' screw, so I cannot
simply tighten it.
Is there anything I can do short of replacement? ---- paul

i notice that the refill oil they sell claims to seal leaks. wouldn't
be hard, all the seal sweller solvents etc. i use it to refill my
jack, can't vouch as to whether it's done anything for the early
stages of leak i'm at.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Nov 6, 9:04*am, dpb wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Yeah, i have a cheap-o one also that has started to leak.

I could jack up autos for hours and no concern. *Now I get a few minutes.
I guess it's a reminder that a jack is not a jack-stand, but many times it's
not easy to find a place to "lift" and the "hold" at the same time.

Easy or not, using only a jack while working w/o a stand or blocking is
a statistic waiting to happen...

--

only if you're under the car for at least some period of time. if
you're just rotating tires, having the car sinking continually is
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

z wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:04 am, dpb wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Yeah, i have a cheap-o one also that has started to leak.
I could jack up autos for hours and no concern. Now I get a few minutes.
I guess it's a reminder that a jack is not a jack-stand, but many times it's
not easy to find a place to "lift" and the "hold" at the same time.

Easy or not, using only a jack while working w/o a stand or blocking is
a statistic waiting to happen...

--

only if you're under the car for at least some period of time. ...

As long as that period doesn't include the point in time the slow leak
becomes a rapid one.