Posted to alt.home.repair

Default At what point would YOU pass on a potential home where termites havebeen found ????

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.

First time home buyer aren't you??

If an active infestation were found, as it sounds like there was, I would
expect the seller to treat the property at their expense.

If there was no or non-significant structural damage I would more than
likely go ahead and buy it. I would try to get any needed repairs made at
the seller's expense.

Termites do not fly into and then consume a structure. They must have a
path (mud tube" back to the ground. The makes tracking their travels fairly
easy for a pro.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.

Floridians assume their homes will, at some point, be infested with
termites. Our condo, 40 y/o,
has been tented twice (last about 12 yrs. ago). I would EXPECT to find
termites on bare wood
lying on the ground - they are normal, natural and widespread. The U.
of Florida has lots of good
information about termites, signs to look for and methods of prevention.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_guide...d_pests_of_man
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/document_ig098
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/document_ig097

My county extension service has an entymologist on staff who can ID the
species; try to have your
pest control inspector do that, as well. Curious that you say you found
some on a shovel. Termites,
in my experience, avoid light, which is why subterranean termites build
"mud tubes". You can easily
learn to inspect as well as most commercial services if you learn what
to look for but I would still
recommend annual inspections by reputable company.

Subterranean and dry/dampwood termites require entirely different
control methods. Welcome
to Florida )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 9:23*am, wrote:

This depends on who you voted for. *It's kinda funny when you think
that termites are only found in the red states. *The Lord knows that
Republicans love wars, so he provides them with termites so they got
something to wage war against.

You got that right.
Dave in Lake Villa's a racist bible-thumping poorly-educated bushj-
loving hypocrite
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 8:41*am, " wrote:
I *put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. *No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. * The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? *Thanks.

If the shovel was out in the day they were not termites. If it passes
buy it, but you may still have hidden damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 06:41:43 -0800 (PST), "
wrote Re At what point would YOU pass on a
potential home where termites have been found ????:

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.

Get estimates (at least two, three is better) as to what it would cost
to treat the infestation and correct the damage. Then see if the
seller will reduce the sales price for the amounts. It's open to
negotiation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
On Nov 5, 9:23 am, wrote:

This depends on who you voted for. It's kinda funny when you think
that termites are only found in the red states. The Lord knows that
Republicans love wars, so he provides them with termites so they got
something to wage war against.

You got that right.
Dave in Lake Villa's a racist bible-thumping poorly-educated bushj-
loving hypocrite

Hypocrisy gets a bad rap. 90% of gynecologists are men.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 11:53*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Hypocrisy gets a bad rap. 90% of gynecologists are men.

My ex-wife was, at one point before we met, a high priced callgirl.
She would tell her gyno Dr. Spano that as long as he wore gloves he
could charge her the going rate, but without the gloves she'd be
chargin' him the going rate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

If there was no or non-significant structural damage I would more than
likely go ahead and buy it. I would try to get any needed repairs
made at the seller's expense.

Termites do not fly into and then consume a structure. They must
have a path (mud tube" back to the ground. The makes tracking their
travels fairly easy for a pro.

Get multiple inspections (and bids) from different companies, the termite
business seems to attract a lot of people who would otherwise be selling
used cars. For example if you do a web search on complaints about Terminex,
Orkin etc. you'll discover lots of unhappy customers especially in regard to
contracts that don't deliver what employees promised and so on. This
appears to be an area in which particular caution is advised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Mud tubes are built by subterranean termites to go from ground to wood.
Termites DO fly into
and "consume structures" ... swarms (mating pairs) fly off to start new
colonies. Takes a while
to "consume" a structure, but eating up joists or rafters would be a
definite negative....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.

When the wall shows small holes where they have egressed out and they are
all the way up the wall. Means structural damage. A small exterior
infestatin just means you need a good ground treatment. Don't get cheap
there. One of the 2 name brand companies has stuff that treats for 15
years. The other lasts but 2-3 at best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote
wrote in message

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites

If an active infestation were found, as it sounds like there was, I would
expect the seller to treat the property at their expense.

Probably too late if he's already signed. That said, if i let the homeowner
do it, *I* specify the company. Alternative, I take the company *I* want
off the cost for initial services. (Maintenance followup is not the job of
the seller but a 200$ a year or so thing you just gotta have in some areas).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Colbyt" wrote
wrote in message

Probably too late if he's already signed. That said, if i let the
homeowner do it, *I* specify the company. Alternative, I take the company
*I* want off the cost for initial services. (Maintenance followup is not
the job of the seller but a 200$ a year or so thing you just gotta have in
some areas).

I haven't seen a offer to purchase contract written in the last 30 years
without an out for "termite infestation".

Now if this is some self written contract, he may have a problem.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.

I'd pass and look elsewhere, as there seems to be a huge supply of
houses for sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I *put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. *No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. * The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? *Thanks.

I'd pass and look elsewhere, as there seems to be a huge supply of
houses for sale.

It's not even clear to me if there were any termites found in the
actual structure itself, or just in a piece of wood and shovel that
were on the ground under the porch. I'd certainly have it closely
inspected and treated, at the seller's expense. If no termites
damage was found in the actual structure, it's obviously much less of
an issue. Whether to pass is more of a personal decision and depends
on many factors, like how great this house is otherwise, price, other
houses that are available, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:58:00 -0500, cshenk wrote:

wrote

I put a deposit down on a home the other day, but active termites
have been found under the back porch on a piece of wood and shovel .
Home is vacant. No termites were found inside the home. Im having a
second Pest Inspector look thruout the home. The home is in Florida
which is common for termites. At what point would you pass on a home
with them ? Thanks.

When the wall shows small holes where they have egressed out and they are
all the way up the wall. Means structural damage. A small exterior
infestatin just means you need a good ground treatment. Don't get cheap
there. One of the 2 name brand companies has stuff that treats for 15
years. The other lasts but 2-3 at best.

Locally we have a company that has a lifetime treatment that repels the
termites.