Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic Tile backsplash question

Getting my backsplash done in ceramic tile.
Just thinking about the electrical outlets and how am I to go about getting
them flush again after tiling?

Any insight would be great.
Thanks.
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
Getting my backsplash done in ceramic tile.
Just thinking about the electrical outlets and how am I to go about
getting them flush again after tiling?

Any insight would be great.
Thanks.
Steve

box extenders. available at the electrical supply store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
Getting my backsplash done in ceramic tile.
Just thinking about the electrical outlets and how am I to go about
getting them flush again after tiling?

Any insight would be great.
Thanks.
Steve

I think the best thing would be to install box extenders now, but keep them
loose. In the past I have removed the outlets so that the tile guy can do
his thing. When I come back to reinstall the outlets the screw holes are
sometimes covered or they tiled over a small portion of the box which makes
it impossible to get the device back in. Much of my time is then spent
chipping away at the tile to get the outlet back in the box. If you install
the extender with the outlets now the tile guy will cut the tile to conform
around the extenders. Just keep them away from the wall a little so that he
can get his tile behind. Of course this idea may backfire and he may
install the tile around the extender without leaving a surface for it to
rest on.