Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone using LED lighting at home yet?

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 4, 1:55*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
wrote:

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I haven't used them and from what I've seen LED home lighting isn't
ready for prime time. If my local Sam's has those, I'll certainly pick
up a pack to fiddle with at that modest price.

yeah, I am curious about them as well. Does Wally World sell them or
only Sam's? I might make an exception to my "no Wal-Mart" policy
(there's already one, namely motor oil - nobody else sells synthetic
Delo or Rotella) to have a new toy to play with. That's comparable
enough to CFLs to be worth a try.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 12:01*pm, wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

No, its a hideously ugly bluish-white light that seems to throb at
you. LED is not ready for prime time, I'd wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 12:01*pm, wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

Alot of what you see now is now is no more efficent than an
incandesant bulb with poor color. They will get better fast but for
now I only consider flourescents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

wrote:

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I haven't used them and from what I've seen LED home lighting isn't
ready for prime time. If my local Sam's has those, I'll certainly pick
up a pack to fiddle with at that modest price.

Sam's here has em

The package says they use 1.5 watts but give light
output of 40 watt reg bulb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 4:22*pm, wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:

wrote:

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I haven't used them and from what I've seen LED home lighting isn't
ready for prime time. If my local Sam's has those, I'll certainly pick
up a pack to fiddle with at that modest price.

Sam's here has em

The package says they use 1.5 watts but give light
output of 40 watt reg bulb

If it realy uses 1.5 w it cant output more than a 20 w incandesant or
someone invented something that will save the worlds resources, the
record in labs for 1.5w might be 18w equivilant. The led is
directional not like a regular bulb, think of measuring a 1.5w mini
mag light, how you rate it can be deceptive. Try it in a dark room and
compare it to a 40w incandesant and see how it lights the whole room,
try a basement and view from a distance if you can and let us know.
The best deal in easy conversion that saves are cfls that do save 75%
over incandesant, as a 9w cfl = a 40 incandesant, and at HD here they
are 1$. These are proven in Lumen output and work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and
offer long life and plenty of light. Look he
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not
bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:24:45 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and
offer long life and plenty of light. Look he
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not
bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.

nate

Funny... many newer cars are built using LED's for the tail and brake
lights and they are BLINDING compared to the incandescents they
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:26:30 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I have a battery-powered LED taplight in the hallway closet. Does that
count?

I use 70-LED holiday light strings for night lights in 3 rooms. The
one in the bathroom is all the light I usually need in there.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 5:43*pm, Claude Hopper
wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:01:06 -0600, wrote:

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I've been using LED flashlights for 4 years now. *Like them a lot. *My
incandesent lamp supply is still going strong and will probably last
several years before I consider LED or flourescent. *I have one bulb
that is over 30 years old and still burning.

I have an LED headlight and tail light array on my bicycle.
They are bright at night.

--
Claude Hopper * * * * *

? * * * ? * * * ¥

Red, yellow leds are more efficent than the white ones by a big
margin, the white ones ive seen are bluish, but my led flashlight is
the best I have had and only 5$ for 9 leds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?
I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and
offer long life and plenty of light. Look he
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not
bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.

nate

Funny... many newer cars are built using LED's for the tail and brake
lights and they are BLINDING compared to the incandescents they
replaced.

yep, there is a huge difference. The 1157 "bulb replacements" just
aren't there yet.

I would really like to have LEDs for my '55 Stude because the lenses are
fairly small and with a regular 1034 bulb I have concerns about other
drivers seeing me in bright daylight. The only "bulb replacements" I've
found that I consider acceptable were a 2W, 4-led unit that I bought
from a Hong Kong based web site. They weren't cheap either, and due to
their design I would not consider them acceptable for a reflector-based
taillight, only one that relies heavily on Fresnel-type optics.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

all new traffic lights today are LED, and nice and brite.

my LED nightlight is nearly useless
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 12:44�am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
On Tue 04 Nov 2008 10:10:50p, told us...

all new traffic lights today are LED, and nice and brite.

my LED nightlight is nearly useless

Maybe you should install a traffic light.

my neighbors would wonder about the green red yellow every nite
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:10:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

all new traffic lights today are LED, and nice and brite.

LED lights are a lot more expensive new, but are supposed to last much
longer. That's important when it costs so much to change bulbs.

my LED nightlight is nearly useless

The stick-on lights I've seen were nearly useless, but the plug-in
70-LED string keeps me from bumping into stuff.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:11:16 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Nov 4, 4:22*pm, wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking of an ad for one that claimed one would save 200% on
electricity use. Numerical nonsense is quite common (consider that
saving 100% means it uses none at all).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:13:34 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Nov 4, 5:43*pm, Claude Hopper
wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:01:06 -0600, wrote:

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I've been using LED flashlights for 4 years now. *Like them a lot. *My
incandesent lamp supply is still going strong and will probably last
several years before I consider LED or flourescent. *I have one bulb
that is over 30 years old and still burning.

I have an LED headlight and tail light array on my bicycle.
They are bright at night.

--
Claude Hopper * * * * *

? * * * ? * * * ¥

Red, yellow leds are more efficent than the white ones by a big
margin, the white ones ive seen are bluish, but my led flashlight is
the best I have had and only 5$ for 9 leds.

There aren't any real white LEDs. Those are blue ones with a chemical
that glows yellow.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:01:06 -0600, wrote:

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I've been using LED flashlights for 4 years now. Like them a lot. My
incandesent lamp supply is still going strong and will probably last
several years before I consider LED or flourescent. I have one bulb
that is over 30 years old and still burning.

My favorite LED flashlight is a rechargeable trouble light, a sort of
wand that stands 16" tall including the hook. It weighs less than a
pound. It provides an even, diffuse light that brings out colors pretty
well, so it's easy to see things when I use it as a work light or a
flashlight. Its size makes it easy to spot when I need it. It's easy
to find a way to stand, lay, lean, or hang it to illuminate my work.
Sometimes if I can't see what I'm doing under a hood in daylight, I can
see better if I wait until dark and work by this light. It will last 14
hours on a charge, which makes it useful as a lantern during power failures.

I'd say LEDs are supreme in this application. The only problem is that
the three AA NiMH cells are soldered in and very hard to get to. It's
designed to charge them in series using a C/10 charger. In my
experience, nickel cells don't last very long with such a charger. They
begin to self-discharge faster and faster, so after a year a light may
not work if you've left it on the shelf a week after charging. If it
were designed to pop in three freshly charged AA cells, it would be ideal.

Motion-detector lights, indoors or out, look like another application
where LEDs could be advantageous. Using a motion detector means you
don't need to install a switch (in some cases a three-way switch), you
don't need to switch the light on, and it won't be left on accidentally.
With LEDs, a set of batteries can last years, so you don't need
wiring. The LEDs should stand up very will in locations where they will
be switched on and off dozens of times each day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

According to the Sam's site, it's not available in my area (N. TX)

But they should be available via internet-order. We often get stuff
from Sam's website that's not available at our local stores - our
last order was for bulk ink for ink-jet refills.

You'd think so, but it said "not available".

Well, phooey. Here's a bunch from an alternate source:

http://www.besthomeledlighting.com/a...FRsRagoda2Wu3A

Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:

My favorite LED flashlight is a rechargeable trouble light, a sort of
wand that stands 16" tall including the hook.

what brand and model is it?

where did you buy it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and
offer long life and plenty of light. Look he
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not
bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.

nate

Funny... many newer cars are built using LED's for the tail and brake
lights and they are BLINDING compared to the incandescents they
replaced.

Visibility and illumination are two different things. LEDs are great for
the former, still weak on the latter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 9:04*pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:26:30 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. *Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I have a battery-powered LED taplight in the hallway closet. *Does that
count?

I use 70-LED holiday light strings for night lights in 3 rooms. The
one in the bathroom is all the light I usually need in there.

Night light in the bathroom? I got to have
a lot of light in the bathroom. I'm paper
trained, I cant eat or go to the bathroom
without reading material. Of course there
is always the problem of having enough light
to properly aim my canon. *snicker* *Well,
it's what all those spam messages tell me
it is.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Why do you take your camera in there? (canon vs cannon) must be a
Froidian slip! (women's clothes yet!)
Sorry!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 05:45:53 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
Sam's club has some replacement bulbs that are LED
based. Three pack for $15 BUCKS

Anyone tried or using such lighting?

I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and
offer long life and plenty of light. Look he
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not
bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.

nate

Funny... many newer cars are built using LED's for the tail and brake
lights and they are BLINDING compared to the incandescents they
replaced.

Visibility and illumination are two different things. LEDs are great for
the former, still weak on the latter.

Please try and follow along. we are talking about LED's used as Tail
and brake lights, not as headlights.

Sure, Salty. I guess the *title* of the thread is irrelevant?

Let's see:

1: question posed as to HOME lighting using LEDs
2: respondent says automotive LEDs are too weak
3: another respondent says automotive LEDs he's seen are "blinding"

If you see a non-sequitur in my response, perhaps it is you who is
having trouble... A "blinding" indicator (tail or brake light) is not an
endorsement for the use of the technology for illumination, whether that
is for home or auto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:25:49 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 05:45:53 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So, what you are saying is that you lack conversational/communication
skills. Got it! G