Posted to alt.home.repair

Default MCCain and Bush's Legacy

If McCain is elected tomorrow, one wonders how much of Bush's legacy
he will perpetuate, given that he has voted with the "President" 95%
of the time.

Here's the opening of today's NY Times editorial about the Bush
administration's mean-spirited last minute attack on our country:

"While Americans eagerly vote for the next president, here’s a
sobering reminder: As of Tuesday, George W. Bush still has 77 days
left in the White House — and he’s not wasting a minute.

President Bush’s aides have been scrambling to change rules and
regulations on the environment, civil liberties and abortion rights,
among others — few for the good. Most presidents put on a last-minute
policy stamp, but in Mr. Bush’s case it is more like a wrecking ball.
We fear it could take months, or years, for the next president to
identify and then undo all of the damage.

Here is a look — by no means comprehensive — at some of Mr. Bush’s
recent parting gifts and those we fear are yet to come:"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/op...ml?ref=opinion

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Of course the New York Times is hardly dispositive. The last Republican they
endorsed for the presidency was in 1952.

If their business model continues its present path, the New York Times may
not get an opportunity to recommend another presidential candidate.

As to their point, it is common for administrations to clear their desks in
the waning days.

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20010611.html

"In these final days, Clinton added hundreds of federal rules on issues
ranging from encryption, radionuclides, drinking water, mining cleanup, and
airport security to the banning of snowbibiles in national parks. The volume
was such that three months after he left office, Clinton rules were still
awaiting publication in the Federal Register, which his last minute
contributions would ultimately enlarge by an estimated 4,000 pages. An
analysis of all would require a separate book, but some examples stand out.
* Lowering food-stamp eligibility
* Facilitated class-action lawsuits
* 608 pages of 'ergonomic' rules aimed at repetitive motion injuries
* Lower quantities of Arsenic in drinking water
* Allow blacklisting of federal contractors based on allegations of
noncompliance with federal regulations
* Mandating a 30% in power usage by air-conditioners, washers, and water
heaters
* Redefined "child" as a "fetus, after delivery, that has been determined to
be viable"

http://books.google.com/books?id=sfs...ult#PPA 92,M1

In fairness, many of these last-minute rules have been in development for
years. Some, however, are a final attempt to achieve a partisan political
goal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

In fairness, many of these last-minute rules have been in development for
years. Some, however, are a final attempt to achieve a partisan political
goal.

My favorite Clinton thing was the Executive order on the Medicare
patient's bill of rights. That was implemented as he was quite literally
heading out the door and it only purpose was to make the GOP rescind it.
One of the more cynical aspects of any outgoing presidency to my mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

In fairness, many of these last-minute rules have been in
development for years. Some, however, are a final attempt to achieve
a partisan political goal.

My favorite Clinton thing was the Executive order on the Medicare
patient's bill of rights. That was implemented as he was quite
literally heading out the door and it only purpose was to make the
GOP rescind it. One of the more cynical aspects of any outgoing
presidency to my mind.

Weren't dodgy pardons the last thing he did? I forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

My favorite Clinton thing was the Executive order on the Medicare
patient's bill of rights. That was implemented as he was quite
literally heading out the door and it only purpose was to make the
GOP rescind it. One of the more cynical aspects of any outgoing
presidency to my mind.

Weren't dodgy pardons the last thing he did? I forget.

Yeah. Of course that is yet another well known soon-to-be-ex-president
trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 4, 3:46*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:

*My favorite Clinton thing was the Executive order on the Medicare
patient's bill of rights. That was implemented as he was quite
literally heading out the door and it only purpose was to make the
GOP rescind it. One of the more cynical aspects of any outgoing
presidency to my mind.

Weren't dodgy pardons the last thing he did? I forget.

* Yeah. Of course that is yet another well known soon-to-be-ex-president
trick.

What's the odds on a Scooter Libby pardon these days?

nate

bush's love wilfrid UK diy 0 November 11th 06 10:46 AM
OT Bush's Oil Pledge against Iran Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 February 9th 06 03:12 AM
O.T.Bush's Intellect Hawke Metalworking 64 January 6th 06 12:06 PM
Pol: What Bush's hometown has to say about him G. Morgan Home Repair 3 October 4th 04 02:11 PM