Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buderus or Crown Boilers

I'm considering upgrading my heating/hot water boiler in the next year. It
still works, but at 30 years it is possibly going to die at some point so
I'm starting to plan ahead.

I'm considering either a Buduerus or Crown Boiler.

www.crownboiler.com
http://www.crownboiler.com/products/...s/MegaStor.pdf

http://www.buderus.net/ is the other

I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and
indirect water heater. Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over
present heater, but I don't see huge savings. I'm at 75% to 80% now so on
800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. Unless someone show
that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.

Comments welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
I'm considering upgrading my heating/hot water boiler in the next year.
It still works, but at 30 years it is possibly going to die at some point
so I'm starting to plan ahead.

I'm considering either a Buduerus or Crown Boiler.

www.crownboiler.com
http://www.crownboiler.com/products/...s/MegaStor.pdf

http://www.buderus.net/ is the other

I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and
indirect water heater. Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over
present heater, but I don't see huge savings. I'm at 75% to 80% now so on
800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. Unless someone show
that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.

Comments welcome.

I use to wire lots of Crown boilers. They were fine and held up well. I do a
lot of Peerless now, which I find similar to Crown, and hold up fine as
well. I'm not a big fan of Buderus oil boilers, but only because I don't
like the layout of the controls. It makes wiring messy, but I sure do love
the color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

[...]

The Buderus are certainly nice, but do have the "Euro" funkieness to
them. With either one, what burner would you get? Carlin, Beckett,
Riello...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

The Buderus are certainly nice, but do have the "Euro" funkieness to
them. With either one, what burner would you get? Carlin, Beckett,
Riello...

Good point. I don't have a preference. Should I?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

The Buderus are certainly nice, but do have the "Euro" funkieness to
them. With either one, what burner would you get? Carlin, Beckett,
Riello...

Good point. I don't have a preference. Should I?

When I did the oil burner service evening class over at Cheney Tech, I
kinda liked the Riellos for their simple modular serviceability. Granted
I'm not at all in that industry, but I had some evenings to fill...

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.crownboiler.comwww.crownb...s/MegaStor.pdf

http://www.buderus.net/*is the other

I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and
indirect water heater. *Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over
present heater, but I don't see huge savings. *I'm at 75% to 80% now so on
800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. *Unless someone show
that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.

Comments welcome.

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

I've not seen one for oil. What brand has them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

The Buderus are certainly nice, but do have the "Euro" funkieness to
them. With either one, what burner would you get? Carlin, Beckett,
Riello...

Good point. I don't have a preference. Should I?

One of the nice features of the Buderus is that the burner is enclosed,
which deadens the noise to some degree. Almost all boilers that I wire, have
Beckett burners on them, but on occasion I'm seeing Riello, which I'm told
make less noise. I never see Carlin except on commercial boilers

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

I've not seen one for oil. What brand has them?

I've not seen any oil condensing boilers, but a couple of weeks ago I did a
really nice Buderus wall hung natural gas unit. It was a piece of work, but
in my opinion to complicated for something that I believe should first be
extremely reliable, then secondly, be efficient. Tomorrow I'm doing a
Peerless propane wall hung condensing boiler. I'm curious how it compares to
the Bud. After these things have been around a while, and hopefully prove
dependable, I'll consider dumping my oil burner and getting one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Nov 3, 9:01 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
I'm considering upgrading my heating/hot water boiler in the next year. It
still works, but at 30 years it is possibly going to die at some point so
I'm starting to plan ahead.

I'm considering either a Buduerus or Crown Boiler.

http://www.crownboiler.comwww.crownb...s/MegaStor.pdf

http://www.buderus.net/ is the other

I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and
indirect water heater. Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over
present heater, but I don't see huge savings. I'm at 75% to 80% now so on
800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. Unless someone show
that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.

Comments welcome.

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

Oil doesn't burn clean enough to do that with an oil burner. A few
companies made them but they were a dismal failure in practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Asking that is like asking a pig to whistle dixie.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

I've not seen one for oil. What brand has them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"ransley" wrote in message
Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

I've not seen one for oil. *What brand has them?

Its going to be the alot more common on 4-1-07 England made condensing
oil law, if I read it correctly. Alot are overseas like Grant,
Mistral, Eurocal, Rotex. Maybe these oils are worth a look, Peerless
Pinacle 92%, Buderus GB 125 BE 93%, Viesmann Vitoladens 300T 92%
[ sounds like a vitamen co ] . Maybe a system 2000 with water heater
is more efficent, I hope they are all oil units but you have time to
shop. Why not dual fuel, something is always cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

I've not seen one for oil. *What brand has them?

I know of 10 pigs that whistle dixie, Buderus, Viesmann and Peerless
are 3 of them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 9:01*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
I'm considering upgrading my heating/hot water boiler in the next year. *It
still works, but at 30 years it is possibly going to die at some point so
I'm starting to plan ahead.

I'm considering either a Buduerus or Crown Boiler.

http://www.crownboiler.comwww.crownb...s/MegaStor.pdf

http://www.buderus.net/*is the other

I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and
indirect water heater. *Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over
present heater, but I don't see huge savings. *I'm at 75% to 80% now so on
800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. *Unless someone show
that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.

Comments welcome.

AsI understand the spec sheet efficency the Buderus 125BE the 93% is
for under 131f. what is used for radiant tube. I wonder how much they
loose at higher temps, I bet maybe 5%.You probably cant do with 131f
all winter or maybe at all. If what you have now has more than 10
gallons of water in it your present efficency rating is optimistic,
it may have alot more water like 20 -30 gallons.

Here is an Idea I am going to do, Polyisocyanurate foam board 1" is R
7.2, with a dual radiant foil barrier. Sincemy radiators are mostly on
cold uninsulated exterior walls I am going to glue and screw a piece
of painted foamboard againt walls behind radiators. I know a large
percentage of a radiators heat is radiant, so the foil facing should
greatly help make it well above R 7.2 , but if you try it the edges of
the board must be caulked tight under the boards or condensation and
mold will grow behind the foam, I know it happened to me. It should
easily gain a few % by not heating a cold uninsulated exterior wall,
but instead reflecting that heat inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

I've not seen one for oil. What brand has them?

Its going to be the alot more common on 4-1-07 England made condensing
oil law, if I read it correctly. Alot are overseas like Grant,
Mistral, Eurocal, Rotex. Maybe these oils are worth a look, Peerless
Pinacle 92%, Buderus GB 125 BE 93%, Viesmann Vitoladens 300T 92%
[ sounds like a vitamen co ] . Maybe a system 2000 with water heater
is more efficent, I hope they are all oil units but you have time to
shop. Why not dual fuel, something is always cheaper.

Peerless Pinnacle does not have the Btu output I need. Max is 84,000

The Viesmann offered in the US are 86.9%.

As for dual fuel, I don't have gas available and propane is just as costly
as oil.

One factor that will be in my decision is the ability to have it serviced
locally. New technology is great, but I don't want to be the first and only
one with a new model when it breaks and it is 2 degrees and parts have to
come from Europe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 9:23*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

Isnt that condensing Buderus using all standard parts like Honywell
parts? The exchanger is where the issue of life would be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
I was pricing indirect water heaters at Home Depot. I want to add one to
my wood boiler that is connected to my baseboard. HOLY ****! They want
$900.00 dollars just for the god damn tank. It's just a tank with a
water coil inside. No heating elements, no burners, no nothing else in
it. That is utter highway robbery. I'll build my own before I pay that!

I've not priced them yet but from what I've seen so far, they are generally
well constructed with stainless steel and lifetime warranty. . The Buderus
has a "Thermoglaze" interior, but they do not state the material it is
applied to. A 40 gallon tank is 238 pounds so there has to be a fair amount
of material in there.

The Crown is SS
Mega-Stor has a lifetime guarantee.
CROWN Boiler Co. warrants the Mega-Stor's stainless steel tank and coil
against leakage for as long as the original purchaser owns the home in which
it is installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 8:41*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this
just a regular system with HW tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this
just a regular system with HW tank.

Never heard of System 2000 until now. I did a search and found this.
http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml

Impressive system. I sent for more information. On the video they show
that a homeowner in the town where I work has one. I'd like to get the name
and go see it and find out how it really works.

My only concern is the electronics. I wonder how reliable and how easily
repaired it may be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 1:24*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this
just a regular system with HW tank.

Never heard of System 2000 until now. *I did a search and found this.http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml

Impressive system. *I sent for more information. *On the video they show
that a homeowner in the town where I work has one. *I'd like to get the name
and go see it and find out how it really works.

My only concern is the electronics. *I wonder how reliable and how easily
repaired it may be.

at "The Wall" at www.Heatinghelp.com installers there have good
things to say about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this
just a regular system with HW tank.

Never heard of System 2000 until now. I did a search and found this.
http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml

Impressive system. I sent for more information. On the video they show
that a homeowner in the town where I work has one. I'd like to get the
name and go see it and find out how it really works.

My only concern is the electronics. I wonder how reliable and how easily
repaired it may be.
I needed to add a couple of zones to one of them about a year ago. The
built in control panel had no spares, and the thing had no diagrams or
other information that I could use to integrate the new zones. It is a bit
of a hybrid, but I didn't see anything really special about it. It seems
like a typical cold start boiler with a very small tank, and some controls
that keeps the heating zone pumping for some period of time after it's
thermostat has been satisfied. You'll notice the website only has
infomercial material on it and nothing technical. When I contacted them and
asked why there isn't any technical info on the website "like every other
boiler manufacturer has", they acted really arrogant, like it was a state
secret

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this
just a regular system with HW tank.

Mark, I talked to a dealer about them today. He's putting in about 40 a
year for the past few years. He also said that he does not know of anyone
that has saved less than 25% on oil with one compared to a conventional
boiler. Most were about 30%.

One dealer quoted $7400 for the Buderus with hot water tank, this guy quoted
$7650 for the same type of setup with the System 2000.

I have to dig out the oil bills. I used 230 gallons from April to October,
a total of 5 1/2 months, with little of it for heating.
Total is about 850 gallons a year. I should be able to save over 200
gallons or $600 a year. Not a great payback, but still pretty good.
Something to think about.
Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 8:40*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this
just a regular system with HW tank.

Mark, I talked to a dealer about them today. *He's putting in about 40 a
year for the past few years. *He also said that he does not know of anyone
that has saved less than 25% on oil with one compared to a conventional
boiler. *Most were about 30%.

One dealer quoted $7400 for the Buderus with hot water tank, this guy quoted
$7650 for the same type of setup with the System 2000.

I have to dig out the oil bills. *I used 230 gallons from April to October,
a total of 5 1/2 months, with little of it for heating.
Total is about 850 gallons a year. *I should be able to save over 200
gallons or $600 a year. *Not a great payback, but still pretty good.
Something to think about.
Ed

Its good you have the option and forsight to reseasrch everything, I
guess usualy they go bad and leak and you are at the installers mercy
of what he recomends or is in stock. I looked a little at the 2000 and
I see it shuts down fire first to circulate heat but I wonder if other
new stuff is not just as good, their advertisment seems a bit
optimistic even stating they outdo condensing units. That condensing
Buderus with a similar tank seems like its worth more research, I
would think controlls are standard stuff. Either way you will find
what right and save.