Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Jamb Extensions?

Hi!

The other day, I purchased some new blinds to hang for all the
windows. The windows I have came with the house. The previous owner
installed them and all I really know is that they are the "home depot"
brand. I also have to believe that they are standard sizes and
nothing special.

The problem that I ran into is that I had to put some spacers between
the jamb and the blind support. In the future, I would like to
replace the window casings. But at the time, it just seems like the
standard blind size is too small for the window. So, for example, I
bought 30" wide blinds. On the box, it says that it's a half inch
less than what it says, which would bring it to 29 1/2. But yet,
around the windows, I have probably at least 1 inch on each side of
the blind, which shows the white portion of the window (not the window
part that moves, just the part that sits in the wall).

To draw it out very rudimentary, it would look like this....

| casing | white window | blind |

when, I think it would be..

|casing | |blind|

My question, in order to fix this, could I add a "jamb extension"? Is
this what one is used for? Also, the reason why I think something
isn't right is because on the window itself, there's about a quarter
inch 'step' that would be exact blind measurements.

Just wondering if I could add a 1" strip of wood to around the
vertical jambs so it would match up to the blinds.

Thanks!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

It would be far cheaper to buy custom made blinds which are made to fit the
opening you have.

Some of the better lines of ready-made blinds are "cut to fit" at the BORG
stores. You simply buy the next larger size and they reduce the width before
you leave the store.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 8:01*pm, " wrote:
[...]

A "jamb extension" is the addition of wood to extend a door or window
jamb out beyond the wall surface, such as when you use 2 x 6 studs.

This PDF from Marvin show a typical jamb extension:

www.marvin.com/download.aspx?DocumentID=805

It sounds like you want to add some type of trim to narrow the width
of the finished opening so that instead of seeing the window sash,
you'll see wood along the sides of the blinds. If that's the case, it
certainly couldn't hurt to stop by a lumber yard or home center and
grab some short pieces of trim of various designs and put them up
against the window to see if you like the way it comes out.

If you can't find any trim that pleases your eye, it might makes sense
to order custom sized blinds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 7:59*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A "jamb extension" is the addition of wood to extend a door or window
jamb out beyond the wall surface, such as when you use 2 x 6 studs.

Ah, ok. This makes sense now.

It sounds like you want to add some type of trim to narrow the width
of the finished opening so that instead of seeing the window sash,
you'll see wood along the sides of the blinds. If that's the case, it
certainly couldn't hurt to stop by a lumber yard or home center and
grab some short pieces of trim of various designs and put them up
against the window to see if you like the way it comes out.

Thank you for the idea. I thought that custom blinds would cost $$$.
Unfortunately though, at the home store, the next size blind is way
too large. So, I think that what I will do is try your suggestion out
and see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Lowe's have all kinds of sizes, if you can return your blinds for
another size. Adding wood
spacers seems like a lot of trouble. From what you say, the window
opening is 31 1/2"?
If so, a 31" blind should be just about exactly right. From what I've
read, you measure
the exact distance end to end of the opening the blind is to fit. Here
is a link for their
custom blinds:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...s&N=4294961544

Craftsman (or maybe other saw) extensions Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 1 July 22nd 06 03:12 AM
Attaching Jamb Extensions Buck Turgidson Woodworking 2 June 4th 06 10:53 PM
window jamb liners gg Home Repair 1 October 23rd 05 09:32 PM
Shaper cutter to cut Anderson Window extension jamb profile John Grossbohlin Woodworking 1 April 29th 05 07:21 AM
Managing house extensions Dave UK diy 14 October 10th 03 04:57 PM