Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric tankless water heaters

As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water
heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser.
I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which brands I should consider, and
which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin wrote:

As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric,
tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single
faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to
which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

The main concern with electric tankless is whether they'll supply
enough hot water. Most of them will support a washing machine, a
dishwasher, or a shower, but only one at a time. If you have teenagers,
get one for each bathroom. You also might have to upgrade your
electrical supply.

Carefully calculate your hot water supply needs, then compare the GPM
each brand supplies at the temperature you require.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
Steve,
Thanks for your reply. We are a retired couple that uses hot water
conservatively. We have a 200 amp service and I am a retired electrician.
Our current water heater is propane fired and tankless, but it is at the far
end of the house from the kitchen. So I'm looking for an electric heater to
supply the kitchen sink and dishwasher only. My original post was more to seek
recomendations as to quality of the various brands.

Thanks,
Kevin.

Kevin wrote:

As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric,
tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single
faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to
which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

The main concern with electric tankless is whether they'll supply
enough hot water. Most of them will support a washing machine, a
dishwasher, or a shower, but only one at a time. If you have teenagers,
get one for each bathroom. You also might have to upgrade your
electrical supply.

Carefully calculate your hot water supply needs, then compare the GPM
each brand supplies at the temperature you require.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 9:08*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Kevin wrote:
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric,
tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single
faucet and a diswahser. *I would apprecaite reccomendations as to
which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin

My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. *When
hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water
is very uncomfortable.

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

depends on lowest incoming water temperature in winter, and how many
other electric uses you have.

you might use a kitchen tankless as a booster, from propane heater at
other end of home.

electric likely costs more than propane

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
Kevin wrote:

As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric,
tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single
faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to
which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

The main concern with electric tankless is whether they'll supply
enough hot water. Most of them will support a washing machine, a
dishwasher, or a shower, but only one at a time. If you have teenagers,
get one for each bathroom. You also might have to upgrade your
electrical supply.

Carefully calculate your hot water supply needs, then compare the GPM
each brand supplies at the temperature you require.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

He's just using it in the kitchen.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 3, 9:08 am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Kevin wrote:
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric,
tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single
faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to
which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin

My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When
hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water
is very uncomfortable.

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?

=======================

I'm getting that a lot of people aren't reading the whole post. :-) That's
why I always keep my posts real short.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 1:06*am, Kevin wrote:
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water
heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser.
I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which brands I should consider, and
which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin

Go with a name brand like Rheem, Bosch, etc with a good warranty, Ive
seen posts on off brand issues. For just a kitchen something real
small will work, does the dishwasher have a preheater, many do. I
think Bosch is 120a, maybe to big for a kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Nov 3, 9:08 am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Kevin wrote:
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric,
tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single
faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to
which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin

My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When
hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water
is very uncomfortable.

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?

=======================

Olddog

Well, when the kids are away for the weekend, my wife and I

Posted to alt.home.repair

With pilot lights outlawed, (at least in California), on new heaters, that
is the problem with all heaters. We are rarely out of power, and usually
only for a few hours.

Kevin.

badgolferman wrote:
My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When
hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water
is very uncomfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. *When
hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water
is very uncomfortable.- Hide quoted text -

My Ng Bosch is D cell battery Piezo ignition, some are mini hydro gen
ignition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AMEN brother. that's why i filtered that asshole out over 6 months ago.

"Bubba" wrote in message

Oh, that's right. You are mindless and dinwitted. Your constant posts
prove it.
Bubba

Posted to alt.home.repair

my new dishwasher a whirlpool heats water. but thye cycle time
tripled. and went back to normal when I increased water heater hot
water temperature.

my old bopsch heated water fast, but in 3 years broke 4 times.

it was the best cleaninmg dishwasher I ever owned, and also the most
unreliable and worse hard to service.

it got put in the trash, deservedly

but dont assume a dishwasher will heatr water well

Posted to alt.home.repair

He curls up in the dish rack.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Nov 3, 9:08 am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When
hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water
is very uncomfortable.

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was just about to write that. Leave the propane tank supplying the
kitchen. But, put the electric tankless in the hot water line. That should
give you instant hot water for start up, and also the advantage of propane
heat for bigger uses of hot water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
depends on lowest incoming water temperature in winter, and how many
other electric uses you have.

you might use a kitchen tankless as a booster, from propane heater at
other end of home.

electric likely costs more than propane

Posted to alt.home.repair

When pilot lights are outlawed, only outlaws will have pilot lights.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kevin" wrote in message
With pilot lights outlawed, (at least in California), on new heaters, that
is the problem with all heaters. We are rarely out of power, and usually
only for a few hours.

Kevin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin wrote:
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water
heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser.
I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which brands I should consider, and
which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin

Many dishwashers have a heating element that will heat the water anyway
so you don't really gain anything by adding a water heater for the
dishwasher.

Any small point of use in-line water heater would work for the kitchen
faucet. Or maybe consider a separate electric point of use faucet. I
have one of those on my kitchen sink but don't use it much as the water
is very hot, near boiling.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 8:39�am, Kevin Ricks wrote:
Kevin wrote:
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water
heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser.
I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which brands I should consider, and
which ones I should avoid.

TIA
Kevin

Many dishwashers have a heating element that will heat the water anyway
so you don't really gain anything by adding a water heater for the
dishwasher.

Any small point of use in-line water heater would work for the kitchen
faucet. Or maybe consider a separate electric point of use faucet. I
have one of those on my kitchen sink but don't use it much as the water
is very hot, near boiling.

Kevin

cycle time will skyrocket to many hours for just a single load.

dishwashers arent designed to start with cold water.........

the multi hour cycle time will be inconvenient, wear out dishwasher
parts sooner, and run up energy costs
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin wrote:
[...]

I had a Whirlpool gold DW that has a cycle (automatic) just for heating
the water if it was not hot enough. Many times I would save the
dishwasher to last after doing showers or laundry. The water would be
too cold to take a shower but I didn't worry about the DW, I just let
the heat cycle work as designed. The dishwasher would take noticeably
longer but not hours, maybe 20 min longer. Though my water was not ice
cold, but I believe my situation was similar to the OP. The OP said
(in his 2nd post) that the main water heater is too far away. He never
said the DW was connected to the cold line.

For the OP energy cost are a wash because he has to add a 2nd water
heater just for the kitchen so the same energy cost goes to the WH
instead of the DW.
If it were me I would get a small under-cabinet water heater for the
sink and not worry about the DW unless the DW did not have the heating
cycle.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Convenience is my primary reason for adding the heater for the kitchen.
Every time you go to rinse something in the kitchen, it takes the better
part of a minute before warm water begins to arrive at the faucet. Often you
only want warm water for a brief period, but it requires filling the line,
(mostly 3/4"), with hot water which will be wasted.... plus the
inconvenience of having to wait for it. As you suggested, I could add
a small heater just for the sink, but that would require adding another
faucet as I'd still need the existing faucet in order to bring hot water to
that point prior to starting the DW. My remodel doesn't include the sink
area. It is my intention to isolate the kitchen from the hot water line
supplied by the propane heater at the other end of the house.

I'd isolate the kitchen from the rest of the house hot water line, by puting
a gate valve in the line just before the kitchen. This has the added
convenience of turning a minor emergency into less urgent repair if the
main hot water heater fails. This happened to me at my previous house, where
I had added a second heater for the bathroom as part of a bathroom remodel.
Some time later, the heater in the garage failed and I was able to simply
cap it off, and open the gate valve, and then choose a replacement heater
for the garage at my convenience, instead of it having an emergency
replacement situation on my hands.

Energy costs are not my consideration. There are so many variables including
the widely fluctuating price I pay for propane at various times of the year,
to be able to make any meaningful comparison. As I said, my motivation is
convenience. Incidently, rather than asking for advice on the merits of
adding a seperate heater for the kitchen, my original question was for
suggestions about which brands of electric heaters might be better. Only one
poster has addressed that question.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Ricks wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 11:23�am, Kevin wrote:
[...]

you could also add a recirculation line, either manually or
automatically controlled, to provide hot water at all times to the
kitchen without wasting watwer.

for electric you need the coldest water temperature you ever get in
late winter, the tem rise of the perspective heater, and the maximum
flow with both dishwaser and sink full on, then see how many spare
amps your main service has spare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin" wrote in message
SteveBell wrote:
Steve,
Thanks for your reply. We are a retired couple that uses hot water
conservatively. We have a 200 amp service and I am a retired electrician.
Our current water heater is propane fired and tankless, but it is at the
far
end of the house from the kitchen. So I'm looking for an electric heater
supply the kitchen sink and dishwasher only. My original post was more to
seek
recomendations as to quality of the various brands.

I understand that.

"Seems to me" that if your have "regular" and conservative habbits you would
be about as well off with a small "tank" style electric water heater. The
small ones have a capacity of a few gallons and a quite good recovery rate.
They will run off a 20 amp breaker and #12 wire. Perfect for a sink and a
dishwasher. Buy on price.