Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ordering concrete for delivery

Hi, I finished my small concrete project today and next is to backfill the
holes in the slabI have opened up in four bathrooms for the plumbing
relocation. I have done the soil backfill, compaction, visqueen added back,
rebar drilled and tied and all ready to go.

In this case there are just too much of it so I need to have it delivered.

I have not done this before, but when the truck comes how do you get the
concrete from the truck into the house into the room that you need to do the
pour? Do they shoot into a wheel barrow and you wheel it to where you need,
dump it in and you go back out for more? or they have someone that will
actually move the concrete to the desired location and finish it for you? I
heard that some truck has a hose that you can carry to different areas to
have the concrete pump through the hose. In my case I have 4 bathroom slabs
to do so this will be very handy.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 2, 10:50*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

You can use a wheelbarrow or even a self-propelled wheelbarrow that
they make for it. But you should get a few people to help. Humping
concrete all day is tiring.

They do make pumps but they are generally another piece of equipment
that you have to pay for.

If you're using wheelbarrows you should check to see if they have a
time limit on the truck before they start charging you for being on-
site. If there'll be a delay, you should discuss that with the
company to so they can adjust the concrete accordingly.

If you can put in some channels or something to get to the back of the
house it might let the concrete flow but you don't have much height to
get it there. Better yet is to see how far back you can get the truck
-- it's easy to replant you lawn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I have not done this before, but when the truck comes how do you get the
concrete from the truck into the house into the room that you need to do
the pour? Do they shoot into a wheel barrow and you wheel it to where you
need, dump it in and you go back out for more?

Yes. It may be possible to pump it some distance. Talk to the supplier.

or they have someone that will
actually move the concrete to the desired location and finish it for you?

Thee are concrete contractors that will do the job for you. The mix
supplier only supplies a driver to deliver. They stay with the truck.

heard that some truck has a hose that you can carry to different areas to
have the concrete pump through the hose. In my case I have 4 bathroom
slabs to do so this will be very handy.

Doubt you'll get it pumped to all places. Sounds like you'll need some
experienced help as concrete sets up and then you are screwed if not
finished. There is a limit as to how long the truck can stay too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
In this case there are just too much of it so I need to have it delivered.

I have not done this before, but when the truck comes how do you get the
concrete from the truck into the house into the room that you need to do the
pour? Do they shoot into a wheel barrow and you wheel it to where you need,
dump it in and you go back out for more? or they have someone that will
actually move the concrete to the desired location and finish it for you? I
heard that some truck has a hose that you can carry to different areas to
have the concrete pump through the hose. In my case I have 4 bathroom slabs
to do so this will be very handy.

How much (area to finish, yds to pour) you talking about?

You've no chance by yourself to offload and finish four sizable slabs by
yourself in one pour.

You either need to be able to do these separately (not economically
feasible since probably each isn't large enough for a delivery) or get
some _EXPERIENCED_ help lined up for at least the finishing; you can
just get some strong buddies and rent some 'barrows to hump into place,
but once it's there, you've only got a limited time to screed, trowel
and finish and four slabs of any size are more than you're going to do
by one guy if not a pro 'cause you'll just not be fast enough to do a
good job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I have about 52 SF of area to fill, 4" thick, so its 18 CF or less than 1
yard. It's not a lot but spread over 4 rooms, and some of the bathrooms are

Also, I do not have a straight smooth access to these rooms, whether it is
from the main entrance or from the garage there are a few steps up to the
main floor elevation, so I would need a ramp.

That is why I am curious about those special services that can actually
extend a hose and let u direct it to the exact spot before they pump I think
it's worth the trouble if the wheel barrow step is eliminated. I will have
to arrange additional help.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 8:47*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Fifty sq ft is a really small area of concrete to finish BUT it's
spread out over 4 rooms.

Some of the rooms are "far from the front door"

we used to routinely order & have pumped a truck or two of
concrete ...we paid for a pumper to come & setup and pump the load

the charge was in the $150 to $250 range depending on time & quantity

I've you checked into having less than a yard delivered?....that's WAY
below the minimum short load for typical transit mix

check the yellow pages for a mix truck service....one that has dry
components and will mix what you need.

Honestly I think you're way too small a job for transit mix & pumper
and maybe even a dry mix truck

I'd rent or borrow a mixer and do the rooms one at a time. You'll
have way better control of the process.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:47 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have about 52 SF of area to fill, 4" thick, so its 18 CF or less than
1
yard.

... way too small a job for transit mix & pumper
and maybe even a dry mix truck

I'd rent or borrow a mixer and do the rooms one at a time. You'll
have way better control of the process.

I can have half a yard delivered to me. The $ is not a big issue but I am
worried about the idle time. I remember a few years ago I had a concrete
contractor do a job for me and he used a wheel barrow going back and forth
and I left him alone for a few hours, when I got back I noticed bits and
pieces of concrete over my pool deck and living room tiles, as well as wet
concrete sprayed on my front door, and about a cubic foot of wet concrete
poured into the back of a planter area that I had to take out. I don't want
to repeat this again so that is why I am trying to have control over this
time around, and I am worried about having to wheel from the truck to the
room, the farthest one is about 170' of distance with 3 steps of stairs and
through 3 doorways and 2 tight turns so it could be a challenge.

If I do it myself and one room at a time, by renting a mixer I can only mix
a little at a time right? The largest area is 24 SF if I have to do it in
multiple batches I am worried it will not have a consistent mix if I do mix
and pour, mix and pour multiple times lasting several hours. Is this a
concern?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
[...]

MC- Hide quoted text -

form areas at a time.

or hire a contractor be there to supervise and tarp all areas
wheelbarrow would pass thru. so no spilled concrete clean up

if your having work done at your home you REALLY NEED to be on site at
all times.

my new wife didnt believe me till a contractor accidently damaged a
water line here.

i was here to shut off the water fast. or a lot of damage would of
occured.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

If I have an area say 6'x4' and the depth is 4" to 5" deep. Since it's a
slab I am filling back in, I want it to be as strong as possible. I already
drilled and epoxyed rebars into the existing slab edges. If I form an area
say 4'x2' and do it first, then wait to do the next 4'x2', and wait to do
the last 4'x2', will the resulting slab be weaker than a continuous pour?
Assume if each part was done say 2 hours apart?

Thanks again,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
[...]

MC-

The details of this project ; constraints, pour sizes, locations,
etc....... are coming out in dribs & drabs.

You don't say how large the "distant" pour is.

Here are a few truisms wrt to concrete (based on 15+ years of work
with it, some academic research, some practical construction)

There is no substitute for experience.

Residential concrete is pretty simple stuff....it ain't rocket
science.

You're way over thinking this project.

You are much too concerned about "consistent mix" and whether the slab
with be "weaker" if poured in batches.

This is a residential "slab on grade not structural slab"......a way
to keep dirt & moisture out of the house.

It doesn't take "hours" to mix and place 8 cubic ft of concrete using
a mix with decent capacity.

Unless you're really experienced working on concrete alone sucks.

We could have mixed & placed & finished all the concrete in this
project in fewer manhours than have been spent on this thread.

You're learning on your own job without the benefit of on site (eyes
on) experienced guidance.
Trying to do what you want done by yourself (?) and without prior
experience is fraught with uncertainty & can generate a great deal of
angst.

My suggestion is team up with someone substantially more experienced
OR hire a contractor who is willing to hold your hand and do things
the way you want them done and answer your questions along the way.
Don't beat him down on price & be willing to pay extra. A firm fixed
price low bid puts your desires & his desires at cross purposes. Or
hire an "owner's rep".

I have years of heavy DIY'ing and years of design experience & years
of construction experience AND I still sometimes can get bogged down
in silly details. Luckily I have experienced people that can give me
a reality check so that I don't infinitely focus on unimportant
issues.

There is a time for design, a time for analysis & a time to "just do
it"........

Since it's a slab I am filling back in,I want it to be as strong as possible.

It only needs to be as strong as necessary ...... it's a "fitness for
use" thing.

otherwise if 2500 psi concrete is "fit for use" why not substitute a
4000 or 5000 or 6000 psi mix?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:

If I have an area say 6'x4' and the depth is 4" to 5" deep. Since it's a
slab I am filling back in, I want it to be as strong as possible. I already
drilled and epoxyed rebars into the existing slab edges. If I form an area
say 4'x2' and do it first, then wait to do the next 4'x2', and wait to do
the last 4'x2', will the resulting slab be weaker than a continuous pour?
Assume if each part was done say 2 hours apart?

What do you need to support to worry about strength? It'll be strong
enough to support a vehicle (think garage floor) as long as the subbase
is solid (which really will be the limiting probably if you've dug).

Whether or how easily you can handle it in one pour would, obviously,
depend on your physical condition and how organized you are when
starting. Getting a buddy or two to help would still be a good idea,
but it's surely doable.

Ordering Gravel benick[_2_] Home Repair 10 October 15th 08 01:01 PM
ordering hvlp couplers [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 22nd 08 01:37 PM
MCB ordering Christian McArdle UK diy 3 February 6th 06 08:02 PM
Concrete Delivery Question Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 3 January 24th 06 04:51 AM
Delivery Notification: Delivery has been successful PMDF e-Mail Interconnect UK diy 0 December 12th 03 04:25 AM