Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are these on the side of a vacuum breaker?

I have this vacuum breaker on my sprinkler system. What are the 2
small valves on the side for? Can you hook up an air hose to it to
blow it out?
Also do I have to remove the guts during winter?

http://www.cjjstore.com/store/images...reakoutmed.gif
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 9:58*am, Mikepier wrote:
I have this vacuum breaker on my sprinkler system. What are the 2
small valves on the side for? Can you hook up an air hose to it to
blow it out?
Also do I have to remove the guts during winter?

http://www.cjjstore.com/store/images...reakoutmed.gif

Mike-

I had a similar device, actually a Zurn backflow preventor, on my
house

(well that was before my caretaker failed to blow it out for the
winter & insulate it....the unit froze & the housing cracked)

I'm pretty sure those little bleed / air inlet valves are for field
testing the units operation.
I would suggest tracking down the mfr's installation guide & the maint
guide

I "suppose" you could use those ports to blow out the water but I'd be
concerned about damaging the guts.

Since you got the unit with unions how about just pulling it out for
the winter?

Or install a Tee in the supply line somewhere near the valve that
shuts off the supply water to the sprinkler system.
At the Tee place a ball valve with an air hose type quick disconnect
for future line purging.

That's what I did, instead of having to remove a cap or plug and
install a male q/d (& then reverse the process) every year....yeah, it
was a bit of work but now the blow out process takes a few minutes & I
have now connections to break and make.

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Backflow Preventer Test Kit - $489.00
http://www.backflowgage.com/catalog.0.html

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I have this vacuum breaker on my sprinkler system. What are the 2
small valves on the side for? Can you hook up an air hose to it to
blow it out?
Also do I have to remove the guts during winter?

http://www.cjjstore.com/store/images...reakoutmed.gif

Installing new vacuum breaker on a hose bib David Nebenzahl Home Repair 17 October 6th 08 10:28 PM
PRESSURE VACUUM BREAKER QUESTION BrianInNY Home Repair 4 May 24th 08 09:56 PM
Dishwasher vacuum breaker required? Walter R. Home Repair 2 June 21st 07 06:52 PM
Vacuum Breaker TP Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 09:49 PM
Water Heater Expansion Tank/Vacuum Breaker? Jerry Napoliano Home Repair 5 September 30th 04 05:47 AM