DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Clutch/Brake Pedal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/263987-sears-craftsman-lawn-tractor-clutch-brake-pedal.html)

bjbigus November 2nd 08 05:21 PM

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Clutch/Brake Pedal

I have a 10 year-old 42" Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor. While releasing
the Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position, I heard a "pop". Now the
Brake/Clutch pedal does not return to the drive position. When I manually
pull the pedal back, the drive engages and the tractor moves forward.
What causes the Brake/Clutch pedal to return to the drive position? Is
there a spring that broke or a rod adjustment that returns the
Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position? Any suggestions welcome!

bjbigus
-------------------------------------

dpb November 2nd 08 05:39 PM

dpb wrote:
bjbigus wrote:
I have a 10 year-old 42" Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor. While releasing
the Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position, I heard a "pop". Now the
Brake/Clutch pedal does not return to the drive position. When I
manually
pull the pedal back, the drive engages and the tractor moves forward.
What causes the Brake/Clutch pedal to return to the drive position? Is
there a spring that broke...

yup...

Or, of course, it could have just come off...

Mark November 3rd 08 10:10 PM

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Clutch/Brake Pedal

On Nov 3, 8:28*am, Claude Hopper
wrote:
bjbigus wrote:
I have a 10 year-old 42" Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor. *While releasing
the Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position, I heard a "pop". *Now the
Brake/Clutch pedal does not return to the drive position. *When I manually
pull the pedal back, the drive engages and the tractor moves forward.
What causes the Brake/Clutch pedal to return to the drive position? *Is
there a spring that broke or a rod adjustment that returns the
Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position? *Any suggestions welcome!

bjbigus
-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I bought a used one that had that problem. The spring was off that
returns the clutch. I found no place to hook it except over the edge of
the frame.

--
Claude Hopper * * * * *:)

there is a place, look on the sears website for the parts drawing,
there is a hole in the chassis that the spring attaches to..

as a workround, you can use a bungie cord...

Mark

bjbigus November 4th 08 04:14 AM

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Clutch/Brake Pedal

bjbigus had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-340139-.htm
:

bjbigus
-------------------------------------
Mark wrote:

On Nov 3, 8:28=A0am, Claude Hopper

wrote:
bjbigus wrote:
I have a 10 year-old 42" Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.
=A0While releasi=

ng
the Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position, I heard a
"pop". =A0Now t=

he
Brake/Clutch pedal does not return to the drive position.
=A0When I man=

ually
pull the pedal back, the drive engages and the tractor moves
forward.
What causes the Brake/Clutch pedal to return to the drive
position? =A0=

Is
there a spring that broke or a rod adjustment that returns
the
Brake/Clutch pedal to the drive position? =A0Any suggestions
welcome!

bjbigus
-------------------------------------

Delivered via =A0http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I bought a used one that had that problem. The spring was off that
returns the clutch. I found no place to hook it except over the
edge of
the frame.

--
Claude Hopper =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0:)

? =A0 =A0 =A0 ? =A0 =A0 =A0 =A5- Hide quoted text -

there is a place, look on the sears website for the parts drawing,
there is a hole in the chassis that the spring attaches to..

as a workround, you can use a bungie cord...

Mark

I have the origianl manual which shows the repair parts and schematic of
the drive. Both springs in the diagram are in place, but I still can't
figure out why or how the tension is supposed to push the rod back. The
bungie cord does makes a nice work-around. Thanks for the suggestion!