Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding a little antifreeze to sprinkler line.

Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

How would you get the antifreeze out in the spring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

better blow it again. the smallest amount of water will pool in a low spot,
and if that's not 24" or better underground, it's gonna freeze and break
pvc. Pouring antifreeze in there will probably just push the water further
downline.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 4:19*pm, Mikepier wrote:
Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. *I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

BTDT........had the same thing happen in another situation where
someone "re-hotted" my blown out sprinkler line.

I considered the antifreeze solution but I just bit the bullet and the
did the compressor thing again because I didn't want to be blowing
antifreeze on my lawn / shrubs in the spring.

I also removed the handle so the mistake was less likely.

Tell your friend what happened...I'm sure he'll be happy to help you
out.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

I think you'd better check out the following:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF6/680.html

Here's an excerpt:

"The freezing point of an anti-freeze/coolant solution depends on the
concentration of the solution, and rises when the ratio of antifreeze to
water exceeds 60%. . . . ethylene glycol, the principal component of
most antifreezes, freezes at 8 degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is
only when water is added that the freezing point is depressed."
Posted to alt.home.repair

ethylene glycol is a really good plant killer too (and nothing
usually regrows where it has been spilt) so would you really
want to flush it out later by turning the sprinklers on?

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Google "ethylene glycol weedkiller"

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Strange; the grass has refused to grow back where I spilt some
from my car on my lawn. It will of course depend on if the
coolant contains ethylene glycol or propylene glycol; the
latter is safer.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aussiblu" wrote in news:AF7Pk.10256$sc2.5800
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Strange; the grass has refused to grow back where I spilt some
from my car on my lawn. It will of course depend on if the
coolant contains ethylene glycol or propylene glycol; the
latter is safer.

Not privy to it but don't they make some kind of non-toxic antifreeze for
RV's or something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

aussiblu wrote:

Strange; the grass has refused to grow back where I spilt some
from my car on my lawn. It will of course depend on if the
coolant contains ethylene glycol or propylene glycol; the
latter is safer.

Good to know. I'll look for ethylene glycol to spray on
area where there is poison ivy.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:59*am, buffalobill wrote:
On Nov 1, 6:19*pm, Mikepier wrote:

Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. *I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. *if
there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a
contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and
potentially your neighbors. *i'd choose air over the recreational
vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff.
-b

I have some old vodka lying in the basement. That's safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"buffalobill" wrote in message
[...]

Sprinkler systems must be designed to avoid this problem anyway. Otherwise, they
can draw groundwater into the city water pipes if the water pressure is shut off
for repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
aussiblu wrote:

Strange; the grass has refused to grow back where I spilt some
from my car on my lawn. It will of course depend on if the
coolant contains ethylene glycol or propylene glycol; the
latter is safer.

Good to know. I'll look for ethylene glycol to spray on
area where there is poison ivy.

Just use roundup poison ivy killer. Works a treat and doesn't have
every kid in the neighborhood in tears because her pussycat died
horribly.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the lawn
was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

How would you get the antifreeze out in the spring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 10:17*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in messagenews:OIidnXoOcLUUd5HUnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@gigan ews.com...

turn the water on. *it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. *duh.

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the lawn
was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup.
Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2
cup, I thought it would be ok

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 10:17 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
messagenews:OIidnXoOcLUUd5HUnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@gigan ews.com...

turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the
lawn
was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup.
Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2
cup, I thought it would be ok

Suppose 1% of the inground sprinkler owners in your state thought the same
way. How much antifreeze would wind up in storm sewers and ultimately in
rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 1:11*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

On Nov 2, 10:17 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
messagenews:OIidnXoOcLUUd5HUnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@gigan ews.com...

turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the
lawn
was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup.
Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2
cup, I thought it would be ok

Suppose 1% of the inground sprinkler owners in your state thought the same
way. *How much antifreeze would wind up in storm sewers and ultimately in
rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, etc.?

Again, going back to the other poster, this is the non-toxic stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

On Nov 2, 10:17 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
messagenews:OIidnXoOcLUUd5HUnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@gigan ews.com...

turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the
lawn
was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup.
Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2
cup, I thought it would be ok

Suppose 1% of the inground sprinkler owners in your state thought the same
way. How much antifreeze would wind up in storm sewers and ultimately in
rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, etc.?

Again, going back to the other poster, this is the non-toxic stuff.

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with all of the components and processes
that go into the manufacturing of antifreeze. I did not know that there was
a type that is environmentally friendly. I understand your pain though. I
would hate to have to pay the landscaping company to come back again and
blow out the lines around my place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well IF he put antifreeze in there it surely would be the pink rv stuff that
is totally harmless. AND even IF it were the automotive stuff, 15 million
cups of the stuff diluted the way we're talking about would be harmless
also.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the
lawn was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just had an idea. Since this is only a 3/4" PVC about 30 feet long
with the other end open under my deck, I think I can get away with
using a nail gun compressor. It 6 gal. It should be enough volume to
push out whatever is in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a
friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I
accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little
water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the
sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little
antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever
little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this?
(I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

I ran propylene glycol into my rather extensive system of drippers. If
it does damage I'll have a dead blueberry field. Let's hope that next
spring I don't have a disaster. In prior years I haven't noticed any
damage to the weeds growing under my boats from propylene glycol.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Erma1ina, Roger wrote:
Propylene glycol is non toxic. Used in RVs pipes too. If you ingest a small
amount, no problems.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ne-339669-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, 2 November 2008 11:11:21 UTC-7, John Grabowski wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 10:17 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
messagenews:OIidnXoOcLUUd5HUnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@gigan ews.com...

turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the
lawn
was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

When I say add antifreeze, I'm only talking like 1/2 cup.
Diluted with the water already in there, which is no more than 1/2
cup, I thought it would be ok

Suppose 1% of the inground sprinkler owners in your state thought the same
way. How much antifreeze would wind up in storm sewers and ultimately in
rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, etc.?

Hey John, wondering where you think the billions of litres/gallons of windshield wiper antifreeze from all of the cars ends up? I know that mine just runs onto the ground. Apparently nobody thinks this is a problem so I can't see why it would be an issue to put it in your underground sprinkler pipes. Just sayin. I am talking about non-toxic RV antifreeze.