Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching Painted Concrete

I have an interior concrete wall that has been painted with what seems
to be swimming pool paint - turquoise and tough as all get out.
Unfortunately, the painter didn't patch the imperfections in the
concrete surface before he painted. I'm guessing the dents are air
bubbles from the original pouring 40 years ago.

My understanding is that typical patching compounds (like Top 'n Bond)
only stick to raw concrete. Any suggestions on how to patch the
divots?

Thanks,
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

I have an interior concrete wall that has been painted with what seems
to be swimming pool paint - turquoise and tough as all get out.
Unfortunately, the painter didn't patch the imperfections in the
concrete surface before he painted. I'm guessing the dents are air
bubbles from the original pouring 40 years ago.

My understanding is that typical patching compounds (like Top 'n Bond)
only stick to raw concrete. Any suggestions on how to patch the
divots?

What I would do:
* Use a hammer and chisel to remove the paint inside the divots and to
rough up the surface.
* For very large divots, drive some concrete screws into the hole so
the new concrete has something to hold on to.
* Apply concrete patching compound. Get it nice and smooth.
* Let it cure completely. I would give it a couple of weeks. Concrete
continues to cure for an amazingly long time.
* Repaint.

Concrete won't stick well to paint. Paint won't stick well to uncured
concrete.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 4:18*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
snip
Concrete won't stick well to paint. Paint won't stick well to uncured
concrete.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

That's what I was afraid of. Oh, well, brute force it is.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Rustoleum Epoxyshield concrete patch and repair. Great product. You will
probably have to order it on line. I bought it from J C WHitney but I think
Amazon has it too. We pactched cracks and holes with it and you can then
paint in 12 hours instead of having to wait weeks for it to cure. You are
basically filling the cracks and holes with a 2 part epoxy. It isn't going
to come out, that's for sure.