Posted to alt.home.repair

Default does anyone sell rivet nuts?

subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True
Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from
McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The
bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and
this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent repair.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True
Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from
McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The
bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and
this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent repair.

None of the big box places seem to carry them. Harbor Freight carries
them and a combo pop-rivit / rivit nut setter. MSC, McMaster, ENCO and
the like will have them as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel posted for all of us...

subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True
Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from
McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The
bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and
this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent repair.

nate

It would have been nice to just post the url but I'll help anyway.

I had some aluminum slugs that were oblong and pop riveted that to the door and
then riveted the bracket to the slug. Better than new. No screws to come
loose. I also thought about using an EMT oblong box cover to accomplish the
same thing but being a cheap *** I used what I had. You may just be able to
rivet the bracket to the door; avoid screws they are what loosen and cause the
problems. The nutsetters also need a tool that can be quite expensive.
--
Tekkie GRIP = Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians
Posted to alt.home.repair

Drill through the door, and then use longer machine screws. Nuts, or nylon
stop nuts. Washers, plenty of washers.

Failing that, pop rivets, or Harbor Freight used to have nut rivets. But,
the longer machine screws is the best idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True
Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from
McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The
bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and
this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent repair.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
Nate Nagel posted for all of us...

subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True
Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from
McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The
bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and
this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent repair.

nate

It would have been nice to just post the url but I'll help anyway.

I tried, but if you go to their web site you'll see it's impossible to
post a direct link to a product

I had some aluminum slugs that were oblong and pop riveted that to the door and
then riveted the bracket to the slug. Better than new. No screws to come
loose. I also thought about using an EMT oblong box cover to accomplish the
same thing but being a cheap *** I used what I had. You may just be able to
rivet the bracket to the door; avoid screws they are what loosen and cause the
problems. The nutsetters also need a tool that can be quite expensive.

No they don't - I've faked them before. If you have a long bolt, a nut,
and a flat washer you can set them without the tool, although it takes
some time. Put a nut on the bolt then set a flat washer on it and
thread the whole mess into the rivet nut. Insert it into the hole, then
hold the bolt head with one wrench and run the nut down with the other.
When it bottoms, unscrew the bolt. et voila.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all... the "good" hardware store closed up shop. Do True
Value, Ace, etc. carry them, or am I reduced to ordering from
McMaster-Carr? see p/n 93482A691 at www.mcmaster.com for example. The
bracket for the closer has ripped off my screen/storm door again and
this is the only thing I can think of that might provide a permanent
repair.

nate

I have two kits like this one made by Marson:

http://tinyurl.com/68gqt8

Manufacturer's site:

http://www.huck.com/marsoncorp/index.html

I bought them at NAPA. The company slaps one
of their brand name labels on the case but
they're identical. I used to build glass
storefronts and install automatic doors so
the tools are a must for that sort of work.
With all the things I build and repair, I
couldn't get along without them. I also have
a few cheaper ones from Harbor Freight. NAPA
stores stock the Riv-Nuts and Poly-Nuts. I
frequent several hardware suppliers in my area
that stock different brand threaded inserts
but they all work well. Darn, I just remembered
another source for all kinds of the things,
it's CRL C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.

http://tinyurl.com/6oeldf

http://tinyurl.com/653cdm

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 31, 3:07*am, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I might just have to order one of those kits, because it's a
huge PITA to run out and find the right size insert when I don't have
one in my "stash." Unfortunately I don't even have a NAPA nearby - I
do have a good local parts chain though, I might have to stop by and
just ask them if they sell something similar. My area seems to be
rather DIY-unfriendly, I guess that happens when you move to an
"affluent" neighborhood. Got an object lesson in that last night when
a friend stopped by to borrow some tools that he just couldn't
find... (he has enough money to buy them, but just couldn't find what
he needed.)

nate

nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts mm Home Repair 30 May 8th 08 04:36 AM
rivet gun Stupendous Man Metalworking 6 November 8th 07 04:14 AM
rivet? AE Todd Home Repair 16 April 11th 07 02:31 AM
How can I rivet mallets ? ? ? Wild Bill Metalworking 9 November 22nd 04 03:00 AM
RIGHT WING NUTS vastly outnumber LEFT WING NUTS . ROBB Metalworking 0 September 28th 03 11:54 PM