Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Article: Tools for the kitchen drawer

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:15:29 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

IMO, the number one tool for a kitchen drawer is not listed. You need
a screw driver with a flip shank with 2 sizes of standard and Phillips
bits.

Trying to drive screws with a multi purpose hammer just sounds wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:15:29 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

IMO, the number one tool for a kitchen drawer is not listed. You need
a screw driver with a flip shank with 2 sizes of standard and Phillips
bits.

Trying to drive screws with a multi purpose hammer just sounds wrong.

In the olden days, people used a fern. Didn't work too well for
Phillips-head screws.

Note the hammer in the recommended set contains a screwdriver set in the
handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:15:29 -0500, in alt.home.repair, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

I taped a magnet to the end of a plastic chopstick.

We have a "toy set" of strong neodymium magnets and steel ball bearings.
Naturally, one of the ball bearings found its way into the garbage disposal.
A neodymium magnet scotch-taped to a chopstick was just the thing to fish it
back out.

I have yet to determine how to retrieve a neodymium magnet stuck to the
inside of a garbage disposal. Also, dollar-store scotch tape is not
trustworthy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

I keep my tool trove hidden under the dish towels, where hubby will
NEVER venture )
Those are some cool tools on the list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:15:29 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

IMO, the number one tool for a kitchen drawer is not listed. You need
a screw driver with a flip shank with 2 sizes of standard and Phillips
bits.

Trying to drive screws with a multi purpose hammer just sounds wrong.

Hmm,
How about Robertson bit?

The article doesn't say that these 10 items are the be all end all of
kitchen drawer gadgets, just the start of a pracitical bunch of tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

Tools in the kitchen? That's for people (like my g.f.) who don't have
real tools in the garage. I'd rather walk to the garage and get the
correct screwdriver,etc. for the job at hand than use some combo-gizmo.

I love the way compasses keep getting advocated. Like the compass on the
end of the Rambo knife. A compass is useless for home repair. And it's
useless for auto repair. And, although I've never been lost in the
woods, I'm going to hazard a guess that it's pretty much useless then,
too.

Oh yeah, and the hand crank radio. You gonna eat that when the
apocalypse comes? Or is some little voice from god going to come on the
air and tell you which 7-11 near you has plenty of food and water still
on the shelves, and which highway out of town is uncongested and leads
to nirvana?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

Tools in the kitchen? That's for people (like my g.f.) who don't have
real tools in the garage. I'd rather walk to the garage and get the
correct screwdriver,etc. for the job at hand than use some combo-gizmo.

{rest of message snipped}

I don't disagree with you on this point really. But, when it's -40 out and
there has been a foot of snow, and all you want to do is drive a nail for a
picture or measure the kitchen drapes, it is kind of nice to just go to the
drawer and get the tool you need there rather than spend 1/2 hour dressing,
trudging through the snow (yes, 2 miles up hill both ways ), come back
into the house and not be able to see for a further 10 minutes 'cause your
glasses fogged up, etc. etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Doug Brown" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

[...]

Darn it. I keep forgetting that not everyone lives where the temps
rarely stray from the 70s. (Kudos on not having an ugly ranch house with
attached garage, though.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 8:50*am, "Doug Brown" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

[...]

I don't need to dress up warm to get a screw driver from my workshop
in the basement.

While my "better" tools for major projects are in the garage, there's
at least one spare of just about anything I'd need for a quick job
waiting in my nice warm basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 8:39*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:
From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

Tools in the kitchen? That's for people (like my g.f.) who don't have
real tools in the garage. I'd rather walk to the garage and get the
correct screwdriver,etc. for the job at hand than use some combo-gizmo.

I've got a tool box that has all the basics: a couple of sizes of flat
screwdrivers,
a couple of sizes of Phillips, adjustable wrenches, needle-nose
pliers,
hammer, and so on. (At least, I've got that stuff when my husband
doesn't take them and fail to put them away.) Everything you need for
quick fix around the house. If it's a more elaborate repair, we get
the
stuff from his workshop (a separate outbuilding).

Oh yeah, and the hand crank radio. You gonna eat that when the
apocalypse comes? Or is some little voice from god going to come on the
air and tell you which 7-11 near you has plenty of food and water still
on the shelves, and which highway out of town is uncongested and leads
to nirvana?

I'm not worried about an apocalypse, but I recall a couple of multi-
day power
outages when I used a battery radio. Hand crank seems just a little
too
much, though.

Of course, if the apocalypse does come, there's always the Glock with
a round
for me and one for my husband. Then the looters can feast on our
bodies.
However, their cholesterol will go through the roof.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:03:25 -0400, metspitzer
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:15:29 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4289556.html

I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for
retrieving things...).

IMO, the number one tool for a kitchen drawer is not listed. You need
a screw driver with a flip shank with 2 sizes of standard and Phillips
bits.

Trying to drive screws with a multi purpose hammer just sounds wrong.

I agree. It's not a kitchen junk drawer without a couple
screwdrivers. A a cheap pair of pliars will crack any nut and will
prove useful time and time again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

A cheap pair of pliars will crack

You misspelled "ruin."

any nut and will
prove useful time and time again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

A cheap pair of pliars will crack

You misspelled "ruin."

any nut and will
prove useful time and time again.

What's the difference in function between pliers and a made-for-purpose
pair of nutcrackers?

Only a minor changes in design (inside hinge as opposed to outside force
point) differentiates one from the other...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

--

Perhaps I misinterpreted, but I took "crack" to mean "loosen" in this
context.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 3:19*pm, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Oct 31, 8:39*am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:
From Popular Mechanics:

[...]

Have you discussed how you will handle this?

One Glock and two bullets means two things:

1 - One of you has to shoot the other. Have you worked that out yet?
2 - Both shots better do their job. That means up close and personal.
A head shot perhaps?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:
On Oct 31, 8:39*am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article NIqdnRoz5Myer5fUnZ2dnUVZ ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:
From Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home journal/how to/4289556.html

[...]

Hardly.

Have you worked that out yet?
2 - Both shots better do their job. That means up close and personal.
A head shot perhaps?

A paramedic friend's favorite tale is of the elderly gentleman who'd had
enough. Went to the attic to retrieve the WWII era 22 caliber handgun,
pointed it at his ear, pulled the trigger. Gunpowder was as old as the
weapon. Blew out an eardrum. Tried again with other ear. Blew out other
eardrum.

replacing kitchen unit drawer The Reid UK diy 1 March 29th 07 06:43 PM
Article "Turning Tools:Spotting Desing Flaws charlie b Woodturning 20 September 3rd 05 11:29 PM
Kitchen drawer repair mark UK diy 0 February 13th 05 08:27 PM
An opinion article on Asian machine tools----- Pete & sheri Metalworking 17 April 13th 04 04:42 AM
Help - Replacement Kitchen drawer runners Sean Delere UK diy 3 August 22nd 03 10:37 AM