Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring

I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run it
down the cold air return?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:39:00 -0400, "Ultraglide"
wrote:

I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run
it
down the cold air return?

Not inside the duct but you can fish it down the chase next to the
duct.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:

I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run it
down the cold air return?

You'll get no sensible answers until you tell us what the wiring is for,
voltage(s) on it, and whether the wire type you are using is rated for
duct applications. (ie plenum cable.)

Local codes may say you can't even do it no matter what cable type you use.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run
it down the cold air return?

Yes, provided it's type MI, MC, or steal tubing or metal conduit. Can't use
Romex or BX

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Ultraglide" wrote:
I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run it
down the cold air return?

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 4:39*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. *Is it ok to run it
down the cold air return?

It may never pass code but may be safe if done with proper wire, but
what if you snag a screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:01:01 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run
it down the cold air return?

Yes, provided it's type MI, MC, or steal tubing or metal conduit. Can't
use
Romex or BX

The only wiring that can be inside ductwork is wiring going to
equipment inside the duct. Then the requirements on the wiring method
apply.

I think you're correct, and I can't say that I've ever run any kind of
wiring through an air duct, but when I read 300.22, it's pretty difficult to
make that distinction

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
wrote in message

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:01:01 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Ultraglide" wrote in message

I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run
it down the cold air return?

Yes, provided it's type MI, MC, or steal tubing or metal conduit. Can't
use
Romex or BX

The only wiring that can be inside ductwork is wiring going to
equipment inside the duct. Then the requirements on the wiring method
apply.

I think you're correct, and I can't say that I've ever run any kind of
wiring through an air duct, but when I read 300.22, it's pretty difficult to
make that distinction

If you run the wire in EMT and place the EMT inside the duct is the wire
considered to be within the duct? I have several places where wires,
some #4 AWG pass through return air ducts. They run in schedule 40 PVC
through the duct.

Boden

#4 AWG pass through return air ducts. They run in schedule 40 PVC through
the duct.

Boden

You definitely can't run PVC or any plastic wiring or conduit through an air
duct. I see your point regarding EMT or any metal conduit, but I believe
it's still illegal unless it's affecting something within the duct. It would
sure help if the NEC used clear wording though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 10/28/2008 1:39 PM Ultraglide spake thus:

I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run
it down the cold air return?

You mean *inside* the duct? You're joking, right?

No, he said cold air return. In my last house, it was a lined opening from
the rooms to the basement, not a duct. Just a hole at the bottom end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2008 1:39 PM Ultraglide spake thus:

I need to run some wiring from my attic to the basement. Is it ok to run it
down the cold air return?

You mean *inside* the duct? You're joking, right?

- Paulo Freire

Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring Carl Home Repair 16 May 12th 06 04:28 PM
Wiring certificate and standards for household wiring D.M. Procida UK diy 5 March 10th 06 10:09 AM
Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 16th 05 04:13 AM
Re-wiring Hugh UK diy 7 July 22nd 05 08:33 AM
wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching chrisc UK diy 2 December 28th 04 08:11 PM